Trusted Contributor

Re: Martha Stewart Large Skull Candle (Luminara)

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@itsmetoo 

It's definitely not the batteries, as I said the plastic covers for the battery compartments is not hard plastic like usual, it's a softer plastic and doesn't hold the batteries in tight enough to make contact.

If you put batteries in and press down on the compartment lid, it works, take the pressure off the compartment lid and it goes out because it's not making contact. with the batteries.

@KingstonsMom 

I wonder if taping it closed doesn't work if you could put a thin piece of cardboard or folded paper between the battery cover and the batteries - if that would hold it and make it tighter.

Valued Contributor

I’ve been wanting to order one of these skulls for a year, but the bad reviews keep deterring me. It’s a shame, because you expect higher quality from Luminara.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

First of all, I'm an avid Luminara candle fan and have way too many, LOL!

I bought the MS large skull candle last year and received it with no flaws and it worked perfectly.

I removed the batteries in the off season and just brought it out for this Halloween, put batteries in and neither battery compartment door will latch for the batteries to make contact and work.

Even engineer DH could not 'fix' to make it work. The plastic battery doors are made of a flimsy, thin plastic that just won't hold them tight enough to make contact.

Very expensive mistake for one month of use last year!

Maybe other buyers can learn from my mistake. Really bummed!

@KingstonsMom   Maybe if you tape it shut, we have done this with a few, and it works.

I removed one of her pumpkin candles yesterday, and styrofoam is stuck to it all over, never happened with any other candles I have, so now I have to try to wash/scrape it off. It is probably on the orange pumpkin as well, havn't looked at that one yet.

UPDATE:  I was able to remove the styrofoam by gently damp rubbing and scratching, relieved to see that the orange pumpkin is on a shelf, not in the orginal box with styrofoam.

Trusted Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

I bought the MS large skull candle last year and received it with no flaws and it worked perfectly.

I removed the batteries in the off season and just brought it out for this Halloween, put batteries in and neither battery compartment door will latch for the batteries to make contact and work.

Even engineer DH could not 'fix' to make it work. The plastic battery doors are made of a flimsy, thin plastic that just won't hold them tight enough to make contact.

@KingstonsMom   Maybe if you tape it shut, we have done this with a few, and it works.

I removed one of her pumpkin candles yesterday, and styrofoam is stuck to it all over, never happened with any other candles I have, so now I have to try to wash/scrape it off. It is probably on the orange pumpkin as well, havn't looked at that one yet.

UPDATE:  I was able to remove the styrofoam by gently damp rubbing and scratching, relieved to see that the orange pumpkin is on a shelf, not in the orginal box with styrofoam.

I'm so glad @mousiegirl. Those candles are so beautiful. I wonder why it stuck in the first place. I've never had that happen before.

Honored Contributor

@itsmetoo wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

I'm so glad @mousiegirl. Those candles are so beautiful. I wonder why it stuck in the first place. I've never had that happen before.

@itsmetoo   Thank you, neither have I. 

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@itsmetoo 

It's definitely not the batteries, as I said the plastic covers for the battery compartments is not hard plastic like usual, it's a softer plastic and doesn't hold the batteries in tight enough to make contact.

If you put batteries in and press down on the compartment lid, it works, take the pressure off the compartment lid and it goes out because it's not making contact. with the batteries.

@KingstonsMom 

IG so sorry to hear about your Skull Candle not working.  That was a point I brought up in another thread about the quality of some Luminara candles not being up to par and problems with the battery compartment and other issues, and for the price THEY SHOULD be good working quality candles!!! And Ive seen these same comments in some of the reviews too....It will be interesting to see how the Luminara TSV  reviews are. Woman Frustrated

I would send Martha a message on her Facebook Page, since she seems to take special pains in the quality of her merchandise....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”