Honored Contributor

Martha Stewart Large Skull Candle (Luminara)

First of all, I'm an avid Luminara candle fan and have way too many, LOL!

I bought the MS large skull candle last year and received it with no flaws and it worked perfectly.

I removed the batteries in the off season and just brought it out for this Halloween, put batteries in and neither battery compartment door will latch for the batteries to make contact and work.

Even engineer DH could not 'fix' to make it work. The plastic battery doors are made of a flimsy, thin plastic that just won't hold them tight enough to make contact.

Very expensive mistake for one month of use last year!

Maybe other buyers can learn from my mistake. Really bummed!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Re: Martha Stewart Large Skull Candle (Luminara)

Ugh...so sorry your skull refused to cooperate.  Always a good thing to give posters a head's up on products.

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom 

so sorry for your disappointing experience!

I too have lots of Luminara

hopefully this company will improve upon this design...many of us like having different decorative items that will only be used one season per year, then stored.🧡

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

Oh great. I decorate more for fall rather than Halloween, but have a few Halloween pieces I love to display, Martha’s Luminara skull being one of them. I think it’s a cool piece. So sorry yours isn’t working. Time to unpack mine and try it out...
Trusted Contributor

Funny I did have that happen with one of my Luminara candles I bought last time.  It was the set of 3 slim. You might remember.  Anyway what I did was I stuck my finger up inside and pulled on the little spring with my fingernail ever so slitely to stretch it, and it worked. 

Trusted Contributor

@KingstonsMom  I would really be bummed also. 

I really wanted that candle myself when I first saw it last year, but it was just

too expensive for a seasonal item. Plus I haven't had luck with luminara candles.

So sorry your skull stopped working.

Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom What a disappointment!  Can you still use the skull decoratively?   I know it's not as special as it was as a candle, but I would want to get some use out of it!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Everytime I see that Skull candle I think it is so cool, and really really nice, but just too pricey for me.

Hope you can think of something to make it work.  Now I want one again. Woman LOL

Trusted Contributor

@KingstonsMom 

Have you tried a different brand of batteries?  I have found sometimes some brands of batteries can be just a little bigger than other brands and have had them not fit in my candles.  Might be worth a try.  I so hope you can get it to work.  I love many of those holiday themed candles of hers but I am not willing to pay those prices for this very reason - too much money if they stop working.  You just can't count on the quality of anything anymore it seems.

Honored Contributor

@itsmetoo 

It's definitely not the batteries, as I said the plastic covers for the battery compartments is not hard plastic like usual, it's a softer plastic and doesn't hold the batteries in tight enough to make contact.

If you put batteries in and press down on the compartment lid, it works, take the pressure off the compartment lid and it goes out because it's not making contact. with the batteries.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.