Honored Contributor

Many people say they will decorate heavily for holidays this year.....

because of what an awful year it has been. They are excited to go all out and are really excited to decorate to the nines, do it early, need to feel the spirit and the joy from holiday decorating this year.

How about you? Who here is feeling the need/excitement/want to decorate early or heavily for the holidays this year? Who is wanting it to counteract all that has gone wrong this year? 

I'm kind of not into it. Part of it is I'm at a transition in life, no kid at home anymore, empty nest kind of thing. Part of it is that we most likely won't be gathering with anyone or if we do, very separately, so it just doesn't seem important or fun this year.

Honored Contributor

Re: Many people say they will decorate heavily for holidays this year.....

Am not really into the holidays just yet. I know we will not be seeing most of my family so that is a bummer, so not sure just how festive I will feel. Hope to put up the tree but no one will see it but DH and me, so haven’t decided. It is a huge tree so may just leave it in the boxes and put out only my smaller things.
Honored Contributor

For me, not worth the effort.

Respected Contributor

I refuse to think of Christmas until after Halloween.  Fall is my favorite season and I like to enjoy it.

We will be doing our normal decorating this year.  One larger tree and my two mini trees.  I have a lot of Hallmark miniature ornaments and I love to display them.  

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

I don't know about heavily.  I will decorate more than I have for a few years.

My daughters, son in law and grandchildren these past few months got together and helped me organize my house.

It's almost back to where it was when my husband died 16 years ago.

I had the sidewalk and steps and front porch built the way I always wanted it.  They are all brick.  The steps and porch are all half moon.  I always wanted that.  I found someone who could give me what I wanted.  I love it.

I'm having all 3 and 1/2 bathrooms redone, some more than others.

I finally feel like I want to celebrate.  Now if I could just fix my back.

Honored Contributor

No, we cut down more every year it seems.  We are down to two trees (because we have two big front windows), outdoor lights that someone else puts up, and a nativity set.

Family long gone, just, just keep life simple!  That's all we ask--be together is enough for us. 

Respected Contributor

I'm just starting to put up Halloween decor (and I feel I'm doing that fairly early).

Christmas--I'll wait till December. However, I do want to display more than usual (I'll have more time this year). I enjoy the decorations; I'm alone a lot.

Trusted Contributor

Hubby and I  and our children and grandchildren are the only one left from our family. Our son and grandchildren live across the street from us. Our oldest son lives with us and helps me with hubby for as he had polio  and fell 2 years ago and broke his leg and foot. He gets around pretty good considering. Our daughter and husband lives 15 minutes away and spent the weekend with us.

Long story short we are truly blessed. The virus hasn't effected us in anyway.

And yes I'll be decorating to the nines. This year though I'm going to put my Winter theme and tree in the entryway up right after Halloween being it's not really Christmas. I'll put up my white winter village in the laundry room also.

I've seen this with friends I  known.  Once you start slowing down decorating it gets easier and easier  and in a year or two it's only the tree then the next year it's nonething at all.

Do it for yourself.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio  Doing my usual decorations. Not anything new. I'm looking forward to decorating, because I know I'll be kind of ready to do something around the dark days of December. My kids and grandkids are planning to have Second Christmas with us the first week in January.

Esteemed Contributor

I never decorate for the holidays and tbis year will be no exception.