Honored Contributor

@corita   Put yourself,into her shoes.  My niece got a job as a postal carrier.  

She serviced a town she wasn't familiar with and didn't know the area.  Sometimes she didn't finish until 8 at night because she couldn't find addresses. They must deliver every item.

It takes a while until they learn their route, especially in rural areas and often when they are new, they get a new route every day because someone is off.

After about three weeks, she was fired!  She was actually relieved.  The stress was too much. 

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

MaIl carriers are Federal employees.  They can lose their job for accepting cash and gift cards. Please do not put your carrier in a bad position at Christmas time by tipping them.

451767E4-B535-4F12-A1D1-0A8846AF1514.jpeg

@Carmie   Same for state employees. I am retired after working 34 years for state of Georgia. We were not allowed to accept cash or any gift other than homemade cookies or homegrown produce. We were pretty much told you know the difference between cash and a dozen yard eggs. And we were expected to abide by the rules. If would never have occurred to me to accept a monetary gift let alone "expect" one. 

Honored Contributor

Hubbs just told me that (about the tips). I did not know that.