Honored Contributor

MAKING CHRISTMAS DECOR WORK ALL YEAR

Screenshot 2022-06-04 at 07-10-04 H221089 Set of 4 Antiqued Whitewash - Valerie Parr Hill.png

You might remember these from a few years back. They are heavily antiqued, and among Valerie's cutest chubby birds, including her more recent versions.  But the green wreaths with berries limited their use to winter, I felt.

I wanted a bright white bird for summer display!   So I have sprayed one of them with handy Krylon Satin Bright White paint spray.  It's paint and primer in one, and sticks to ceramics, resin, wood, etc.

71XOZ-dbMCL._AC_SX679_.jpg

My bird has a new, clean 'graphic look' that I wanted, but the satin finish keeps it soft.  The Christmas-y wreaths now recede, looking like birdie necklaces or non-seasonal wreaths.

Love the idea of making them more versatile.  I'm thinking of painting one more, so I"ll have two "all year" birds, and 2 specific holiday birds.  Or keep the all-white, and donate the others....

Honored Contributor

Re: MAKING CHRISTMAS DECOR WORK ALL YEAR

@Oznell   "My bird has a new, clean 'graphic look' that I wanted, but the satin finish keeps it soft.  The Christmas-y wreaths now recede, looking like birdie necklaces or non-seasonal wreaths."

opics5qj.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Ha, ha, @Mz iMac ,  I admire your "show me" attitude.  (Maybe you have a little "Missouri" in you....)

I don't have the capability of taking my own pictures and posting them here.  But, just imagine a different type of bird, one that looks more modern and less farmhouse perhaps, with all the distressing detail taken out.

One thing I'll say--  with all the nooks and crannies of the wreaths, I had to really gun that spray at that area to white it all out.  Was worried there would be drips as a result-- but luckily no.

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell If you remember I share your love of bird decor.  That was a brilliant idea and very creative of you!   Enjoy them.

Respected Contributor

@Oznell  im not trying to hijack the Christmas deco topic but i had to share how much I love the Krylon spray paint too.

ive used the Krylon primer & paint combo spray to totally reinvent my patio furniture.

Last year i bought an patio set on Craigs List for only $35! It even matched the lattice in my patio. I was just going to recover the seats. 20171022_130828(2).jpg

But it didnt really seemed finished to me 

20171022_160317.jpg

So i went out that afternoon and got the Krylon spray in Black and finished and laid down an RV rug i got to cover the concrete floor i screwed up trying to bleach it clean. The paint is amazing and so EASY.

20171029_203409.jpg

I totally back up @Oznell when it comes to experimenting with this spray paint to renew, refresh, or reinvent anything. Take a chance!

Trusted Contributor

I actually like the all white idea.  Valerie should have offered that.

Respected Contributor

@Oznell  How very creative of you. I bet they look wonderful!

I am trying to purchase more Christmas items that have year-round appeal. Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

I love that Krylon spray too.

I bet your birds look nice @Oznell.

I don't know how to post my own pictures here either even though I once did it after someones help here but it was by accident and so complicated.

Anyway, some snowmen or birds despite sparkles or wreaths I do keep out all year long because they make me happy!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@LindaSal,  you and I will always find a way to use our birdies!

@LizzieInSRQ--   Wow!  Fabulous job revitalizing your patio furniture.  I love the stylish black you chose.  A new coat of paint can work wonders, as your "new" set proves!

Agreed, @MarkeieMark ,  there's something about a clean white bird, without a lot of frills and furbelows.  Valerie may have done that in the past.  She does have a cute white wicker-look one that she does, but that wasn't quite what I was going for.  And anyway, I wanted to recycle what I already had, if possible, rather than buy anew.

Exactly, me too,  @Regal Bee .   If we find decor that cleverly does "double duty" both seasonally and also year round,  it reduces the number of items we have to manage, and is therefore kind of freeing, to my way of thinking...

@on the bay,  agreed, if it makes us happy upon seeing it, bingo, that's what matters!

I wonder if anyone here has used the "chalked" spray paint.  I'd like to try that on some things, for a chalky finish....

Honored Contributor

A quick postscript:   I ended up painting all of them!  At least, the other 3 are in the garage awaiting their final inspection and another possible coat...

The one little all-white guy I put in the living room looks so fresh and adds just that 'touch' of summer.  I was surprised when hubby volunteered, "I like it a lot better than I thought I would when you said you were going all-white with it".  

That says a lot--  he almost never reacts that way to decor stuff, especially changes!