Respected Contributor

Luminara Tealight Test Results

Since there were so many complaints (including my own) I decided to definitively test the tealights that came with my Luminara mini lanterns. I bought 12 in total.

First I set all 12, as I received them, on the timer function. I didn't keep real close track but most of them were not working after five days and I think one or two lasted as long as 10 days, which would have been 50 hrs - only half as long as the 100 hrs which were advertised.

Then I put brand new batteries in all 12. These were not brand name batteries - just the cheapest ones I could find at the time.

So here are the results:

3 lasted 16 days or 80 hours

3 lasted 17 days or 85 hours

2 lasted 18 days or 90 hours

1 lasted 20 days or 100 hours

3 lasted 21 days or 105 hrs

My takeaway from this is that the major problem with these tealights are the batteries that come with them. Who knows why they don't last long. On the whole I am satisfied with the performance of these tealights even though all did not last the full 100 hours.

Also, a few of those that stopped working before the 100 hours were able to be reset and went a couple more days. Maybe there is a problem with the timers on these candles.

Respected Contributor

Re: Luminara Tealight Test Results

@froggy  Thank you for taking the time to do this.  I have wanted to purchase these, but was hesitant due to all the bad reviews.  I might have to take another look at these now.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Respected Contributor

@CAcableGirl2 wrote:

@froggy  Thank you for taking the time to do this.  I have wanted to purchase these, but was hesitant due to all the bad reviews.  I might have to take another look at these now.

@CAcableGirl2

If it matters to you keep in mind that the lithium batteries are not cheap and each tealight uses two of them. I just bought 60 at Amazon for $20.

Honored Contributor

@froggy.   Thanks for your thorough assessment.  QVC ought to hire you.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

A lot of the reviews also state that after the initial batteries died, they replaced them with more expensive name brand batteries and the result was the same as far as how long they lasted.

Also some reviews say that once they changed batteries (name brand batteries or not), the tea light wouldn't work at all, even though the new batteries tested as good.

Considering some of these reviews, I personally don't think it's just the batteries, I think many of the tealights themselves are also defective.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

Thank you for testing these.  I haven't had a chance to do anything but put them away.  I figure if they don't work at Christmastime, I'll still be able to send them back as a holiday return.  Interesting about getting better life with generic batteries.  Makes me think they are shipped with outdated batteries.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

The little pumpkin tea light items are so cute! Every time they present the little pumpkins, I am so tempted to buy! 

But there is so much negative feedback on the life of the lights/batteries.  Finally talked myself out of buying ....

These lights keep getting presented over and over... I wonder just how many were produced???

Respected Contributor

@corita wrote:

The little pumpkin tea light items are so cute! Every time they present the little pumpkins, I am so tempted to buy! 

But there is so much negative feedback on the life of the lights/batteries.  Finally talked myself out of buying ....

These lights keep getting presented over and over... I wonder just how many were produced???

And I've heard that the performance on these is even worse.

Respected Contributor

@corita Me too!  Those light glass pumpkins are on clearance with free shipping and I want them, but not if they aren't going to last.  I have a lot of luminara candles in larger sizes, that take C or D batteries and haven't had any issues, but to only have some last a couple of weeks makes me pass on those.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

@froggy wrote:

@corita wrote:

And I've heard that the performance on these is even worse.

The tea lights in the pumpkins were rated at 60 hours of burn time, and the newer tea lights in the lanterns are supposed to be rated for 100 hours. 

So it seems they are increasing the battery life on them, but people who aren't paying close attention may be expecting more from the older ones (like in the pumpkins/clear ornaments) not knowing the difference.

These are going to be great little lights when they get the battery life up to 250 hours or more. I bet they can do it, but it is all about what it will cost.