Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

@Mominohio

I put my Fall decor up mid-October & tomorrow I'll start to put it away.  I am decorating minimally vs every nook n' cranny filled.

What Im dreading is when my he brings down my many many containers of Christmas.  I haven't seen them in 4 years & frankly, have no idea what's in them.  Then there is all my new purchases from VPH and other places over the year (after Christmas sale).  

My plan is to put  it all out on my DR table & then look at its age (some pieces I've had ions) and decide what I'll use.  I want to do my hutch differently and ordered new sideboard/buffet server.  I think I might want to keep it simple.  Then there's the Christmas tree .... haven't put one up in years.

I've got visions of "decorating grandeur" but I know the more I use the more cluttered it is.  My house is open floor plan but still can get clutter looking quick.  I'm in no hurry to get it done well at least before 12/19 (I leave for home) or at least 12/27 when my family arrives!!!

@homedecor1

You are in for some fun! Seeing all those old pieces you haven't visited with in awhile!

Since much of it hasn't been used for so long, you may find it easy to scale back and let go. Then again, you may not LOL.

Be sure to post pictures! Can't wait to see what you will do.

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

to say goodbye to the fall decor.

Hey, cheer up. I'd lay odds it'll be back around in about a year.  Woman Very Happy

@qualitygal

LOL!

The thing is, at my age, it is beginning to seem like the holiday/seasons are repeating themselves about every three months now! 

I have to figure out how to slow time down some! Anyone figured that out yet?

Honored Contributor

My favorite time of year is from the 1st of September to the 1st of January.  I always enjoy the season and love to shop and decorate, see friends and family.  I am motivated !!!!!  I love being in the city and also the country areas, different looks, diifferent feelings but all good.  I try to enjoy each day because the time and seasons fly by much too fast.  

My memories of past seasons are cherished and treasured within me and I always know more great memories will come at this time of year.  It is truly magical for me now as it was when I was a young girl.

Honored Contributor

Re: Kind of sad...

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio

My sister and I were just talking about it....although all the designers/decorators tell us that fall/harvest  is the longest decorating season from September through November, it seems that both fall and the Christmas season of December (our favorites) just fly by......Meantime summer (which we both dislike seems to drag on forever ....we live in Texas and there's about 4 really hot months and the older we get we seem to mind the heat more and more)..........

I do enjoy the cool days of winter but dont really decorate for it, our weather is so unpredictable as to whether the weather will be cold or not...so no winter decor for me....I do decorate some (but not much) for Spring/Easter...but after that nodda except for a flower arrangement on my dining room table , but then nothing until fall...............

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

I felt this way last year too. I spent a lot of time and money getting a lot of matching/coordinating fall decor that I find very neutral and elegant (not your typical pumpkin and leaves colors and designs), and I really, really, really, love the look. I put it up at the first of September, and will take it down tomorrow, but not without some angst!

For the first time in my life, I'm not very excited about decorating for Christmas. IT seems to me that the season is getting shorter every year (I know, that is just age and the quick passage of time at this point in life), and my decor has multiplied to the point that while fun to have lots to choose from, it becomes overwhelming a bit, to deal with it all. Seems like I just put it up, then it is time to take it down again.

Wont' know until I get into things tomorrow, but I'm considering doing less. 

Until then, I've made quite a few trips through my rooms today, taking in and enjoying the last day of my fall decor, and a bit sad to put it all away until next year.

@Mominohio  I feel the same way about my Fall decor, so beautiful, but three months is a good long time for decor to stay up, though never seems long enough, but I have been planning my Christmas decorating for weeks now, and tomorrow will go out to the tree lot and get the green living room tree.  I usually decorate the kitchen first, but this year am doing the living room and dining room first.  DD is arriving on the 15th, so I want those rooms done, usually I am just finishing on Christmas Eve. 

I may begin on the kitchen a bit on Sunday, as we let the tree stand for a day so the branches can relax a bit before putting the lights on and decorating, but DH may be putting the lights on this Sunday, as I want to begin decorating on Monday, so guess the lights will relax the branches. Smiley Happy 

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

@Mominohio

I put my Fall decor up mid-October & tomorrow I'll start to put it away.  I am decorating minimally vs every nook n' cranny filled.

What Im dreading is when my he brings down my many many containers of Christmas.  I haven't seen them in 4 years & frankly, have no idea what's in them.  Then there is all my new purchases from VPH and other places over the year (after Christmas sale).  

My plan is to put  it all out on my DR table & then look at its age (some pieces I've had ions) and decide what I'll use.  I want to do my hutch differently and ordered new sideboard/buffet server.  I think I might want to keep it simple.  Then there's the Christmas tree .... haven't put one up in years.

I've got visions of "decorating grandeur" but I know the more I use the more cluttered it is.  My house is open floor plan but still can get clutter looking quick.  I'm in no hurry to get it done well at least before 12/19 (I leave for home) or at least 12/27 when my family arrives!!!

@homedecor1  I opened a bin last weekend and said, "oh, there you are!"  DH and I laughed that I was talking to the decor, LOL.

Honored Contributor

Re: Kind of sad...

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

@qualitygal wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

Hey, cheer up. I'd lay odds it'll be back around in about a year.  Woman Very Happy

@qualitygal

LOL!

The thing is, at my age, it is beginning to seem like the holiday/seasons are repeating themselves about every three months now! 

I have to figure out how to slow time down some! Anyone figured that out yet?

No but if you figure that out @Mominohio, please let me know...

Christmas comes more quickly every year...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Valued Contributor

@Mominohio

I have always like autumn the best, more so than Christmas (because of all the bitter memories of my childhood). But this year, I felt like all the garland around was strangling me, so I took it all down and it felt calming. The pilgrims/natives are still up with harvest angels with my Luminara birch candles (waiting for my husband to bring up the box to put away). I think I'm going to wait a week to get used to less, then put up minimal Christmas decor. Christmas reminds me that once again, my son won't be coming home until March. And I know that once Christmas is here, it'll be till May when the cold weather is gone again. 

Honored Contributor

I love to use harvest decor, but this year was more of a chore to get it put out.  I started early due to being away the first two weeks in Sept.  I put it in place and figured I'd go back and rearrange things.  That never happened and I ended up really not liking it.  It's time to swap it out, but I can't get to it until next weekend.  Then I am going to be away two weeks in December.  Almost makes me feel like skipping it, but I don't want to do that either.  I'm going to make it a winter look, versus a Christmas look.  Then it can stay out thru January.

Frequent Contributor

LOL Yes, that’s how I feel too. It all goes too fast. The older you get, the faster it goes