Honored Contributor

to say goodbye to the fall decor.

I felt this way last year too. I spent a lot of time and money getting a lot of matching/coordinating fall decor that I find very neutral and elegant (not your typical pumpkin and leaves colors and designs), and I really, really, really, love the look. I put it up at the first of September, and will take it down tomorrow, but not without some angst!

For the first time in my life, I'm not very excited about decorating for Christmas. IT seems to me that the season is getting shorter every year (I know, that is just age and the quick passage of time at this point in life), and my decor has multiplied to the point that while fun to have lots to choose from, it becomes overwhelming a bit, to deal with it all. Seems like I just put it up, then it is time to take it down again.

Wont' know until I get into things tomorrow, but I'm considering doing less. 

Until then, I've made quite a few trips through my rooms today, taking in and enjoying the last day of my fall decor, and a bit sad to put it all away until next year.

Esteemed Contributor

Oh, I couldn't agree with you more @Mominohio.  Autumn is my favorite season and it's really hard for me to say good-bye to it.  I adore everything about the season from decorating to foods that I consider "fall foods" to the weather, although we only got a few weeks of what I consider "fall" weather (had my air on until late October!).  

I always put my Christmas decorations up on Black Friday, but tomorrow I'm not.  I'm going to enjoy my Thanksgiving leftovers while still admiring my fall decor.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Kind of sad...

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio... The calendar is stacked against those of use who love harvest season. It's just a couple of short months before we have to haul out the holly... I don't decorate extensively for fall, but I do love fall and the trappings of fall. While I might tweak accessories in spring and summer, I really only decorate for fall and Christmas...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@Mominohio... The calendar is stacked against those of use who love harvest season. It's just a couple of short months before we have to haul out the holly... I don't decorate extensively for fall, but I do love fall and the trappings of fall. While I might tweak accessories in spring and summer, I really on decorate for fall and Christmas...

@stevieb

I pretty much only do seasonal decor for fall and Christmas/winter too. By the time Christmas is over, I'm beyond ready to get the house emptied out at bit, and get back to less and more 'normal' decor. Sometimes I love the look I've created for the holidays, but it is more things than normal to move and clean around that I really enjoy doing sometimes.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio.  Once you tear into your stored Christmas decor and see all the pretty things you've got, you'll undoubtedly get in the spirit of holiday decorating.  Then you won't be able to stop.  Have fun!

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@Mominohio... The calendar is stacked against those of use who love harvest season. It's just a couple of short months before we have to haul out the holly... I don't decorate extensively for fall, but I do love fall and the trappings of fall. While I might tweak accessories in spring and summer, I really on decorate for fall and Christmas...

@stevieb

I pretty much only do seasonal decor for fall and Christmas/winter too. By the time Christmas is over, I'm beyond ready to get the house emptied out at bit, and get back to less and more 'normal' decor. Sometimes I love the look I've created for the holidays, but it is more things than normal to move and clean around that I really enjoy doing sometimes.

@Mominohio Oh, I understand completely... By the time Epiphany ends, I'm usually ready to scale back... When I first put everything away, of course, the place looks sort of barren. Still, it's also sort of a relief, in an odd sort of way, to have everything put away and to become re-accustomed to a more 'day to day' look...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Perhaps, you are just putting too much time, effort and money into decorating.  Maybe you should scale back.   This is the second year that I went all out with fall decorating.  No overboard but I did quite a bit with the living room and dining area.  I love how it looks.  I'm sitting here now with a cup of tea and a cupcake taking it all in for the last time.  But I'm looking foward to putting the Christmas stuff up this week.  Like a kid waiting for Santa!  Tomorrow, we'll take out the Christmas stuff and I'll decide on my theme.  I have so much!  I usually know by now but with my knee issues and the surgery coming up, I'm behind schedule.  I think red/white/plaid.  Lots of candles and perhaps the white tree this year.  Good bye, Fall.  Hello, Christmas.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Kind of sad...

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio

I put my Fall decor up mid-October & tomorrow I'll start to put it away.  I am decorating minimally vs every nook n' cranny filled.

What Im dreading is when my he brings down my many many containers of Christmas.  I haven't seen them in 4 years & frankly, have no idea what's in them.  Then there is all my new purchases from VPH and other places over the year (after Christmas sale).  

My plan is to put  it all out on my DR table & then look at its age (some pieces I've had ions) and decide what I'll use.  I want to do my hutch differently and ordered new sideboard/buffet server.  I think I might want to keep it simple.  Then there's the Christmas tree .... haven't put one up in years.

I've got visions of "decorating grandeur" but I know the more I use the more cluttered it is.  My house is open floor plan but still can get clutter looking quick.  I'm in no hurry to get it done well at least before 12/19 (I leave for home) or at least 12/27 when my family arrives!!!

Respected Contributor

My fall stuff will come down in December. I don't want the Christmas look around me yet.

Trusted Contributor

I just spent the last five days cleaning, and planned on putting up all these beautiful Christmas decorations, but now i'm having second thoughts.  I can't win.