Respected Contributor

Re: Just a note on rising prices

@Kachina624 wrote:

@meem120 wrote:

The companies are not going to let the tariffs impact corporate profits.  The increased cost will be passed down to the consumer. 

And when the consumers cuts back on purchasing there will be lay offs and increased unemployment.

As soon as tariffs were announced but before any went into effect, the first of July QVC raised prices on hundreds of items.  Its like the oil companies raising gas prices today because there was a fire in some obscure refinery this morning.

@Kachina624

I agree that QVC seems to have gotten a jump on raising prices, which of course, they will blame on the tariff increase.  However, I shop at Amazon frequently.  I have a shopping list with things I am purchasing for Christmas for my granddaughter.  I went to my list today, and after several months of being on my "saved list", not one price was raised. I'm no saying that the prices will not be increased in time, but they haven't jumped the gun like QVC has done.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

I think retailers will mark up just because people are expecting it to happen from the tariff news and more than they need to. 

I am looking at it this way. 

I'm going to save some money, because I have a limit when I see something, that I think it is worth to me. If the price is even a couple of dollars more than I want to pay, I'm passing on it. 

And shouldn't most of the stuff going on holiday shelves have already been in the country for awhile? I mean Hobby Lobby has been loading Christmas on their shelves for two months now. That stuff came in before hand, so any increase in things for holiday at this point would seem to me to be gouging because they should have come in before the tariffs went into effect.

I'd suggest sourcing clothing when possible from thrifts and consignments. Much cheaper, and often some better made things than will be coming in new. Keep current electronics as long as possible. I know I don't need the latest version of anything electronic. I only upgrade when the old is worn out and not functioning. 

There are ways to avoid paying the tariffs. Don't buy what you don't have to, or source something made here or second hand. 

@Mominohio

Thank you for your well written response.  And what you say in all your points is so true!  Especially the part about electronics.

Im so tired of people that think if they dont have the latest and greatest in electronics they just wont be able to cope.....GET A REAL LIFE PEOPLE so what if they have to use a couple year old phone--or cant get the newest version of Alexa or Echo---SO WHAT!!!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@GeorgiagramaTariffs went into effect very early this morning, 09/24/2018. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

Looking at the prices here lately the designers think their designs are special-not or QVC has to pay alot -they are on many stations.

Valued Contributor

The message behind the tariff is to encourage companies to buy from a supplier outside China to avoid the tariff. 

It's folly to assume that no one but China can supply the component parts that are the focus of the tariff.

Let it play out before you panic.  I suspect the impact on the American consumer will be minimal.    

Respected Contributor

Spoiler

@BirkiLady wrote:

@GeorgiagramaTariffs went into effect very early this morning, 09/24/2018.  

@BirkiLady

I think that's what everyone has been saying.  The Q raised their prices in July in anticipation I guess. At least my Amazon cart has remained the same.  My QVC cart showed a price increase.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Georgiagrama  I was thinking of high-dollar purchases such as major applicances, vehicles, furniture, etc.  Most of QVC prices don't fall into that category IMO . . . and those purchases are "wants" rather than necessary purchases.

ETA: I do not shop QVC for anything except Louis Del'Olio whisper knits, which are well-made and classic in style. Do not know it his prices have increased or not. They are not a high-dollar purchase.  

Respected Contributor

@BirkiLady

His things are beautiful.....more like designer clothing to me, something you would purchase at Dillard's or Nordstrom. I've never purchased his things because I am not sure how his clothing runs as far as sizing.  I hate the costs of returns!!  I think you might be right about the high dollar purchases. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GeorgiagramaLDO's whisper knits are true to size. I wear the same size that I purchase at Dillard's.  

ETA: However, the Louis Del'Olio line is much less expensive!