Honored Contributor

Re: Just a friendly reminder about CIJ sale prices...

[ Edited ]

@lucymo wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

@lucymo wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

@lucymo wrote:

@Susan Louise. I've taken advantage of the sale more times than I should have, I'm sure but it has saved me some money.  I'm sorry to see it end. Thanks for reminding everyone.

@lucymo  Hi GF! Smiley Happy  What has been your most favorite new treasure this year so far? 

For me it's definitely the Luminara Hudson lantern. If our house was bigger, I would find some way of incorporating more into our home! 

Sorry for the delay in responding...just real busy again. We should be seeing our 1st migrating RT Hummingbird any day now, so I'm getting excited. I've been trying to get caught up on a lot of housework I had fallen behind on due to gardening chores and I'm nearly done. This way I can finally sit back and enjoy all the hard work/labor since the process began sowing seeds indoors in January...Whew! LOL

I love sitting on our porch for hours and enjoy the little cuties buzzing around. Some folks have the hummingbirds all summer during the breeding season. For us, it's only during the migration periods...it's around a dozen fly through in the Spring in May (this past Spring it was a record 14+ for us) and for the Fall migration from the end of July through mid October. Last year we had 266+! We document them. The (+) is that we can only document what we see...of coarse we miss a few that either I didn't take a pic of or have it on our video cameras and fly under our radar so to speak...lol

Do you put out hummingbird feeders? Smiley Happy

@Susan Louise  Hi GF, good to hear from you and that you are well and enjoying life with your new lantern.  Smiley Happy It sounds like a fun time with the HB migrating through and being so knowledgeable about them.  We just feed the birds, squirrels and I think Groundhogs.  We put out HB feeders at our old place but haven't started here.  We have a lot of flowers and we see them come by to check out their favorites on their way to the feeders at the neighbors.  Be sure to post pictures of your visitors this season.  Lots of people enjoy your pictures of them, I know I do.

I have a question for you, have you seen a Praying Mantis catch any of the Hummers?  I did some research and found out that it does happen. It just made me so sad to see some of the pictures.

@lucymo  Yes, there have been Praying Mantis in our gardens from time to time. If there are any either DH and I see, we do try and shoo they away. We don't however try and kill them because they are otherwise beneficial. I have seen those pics/video  a few years ago and it is very sad!

In the Fall & Winter we also get Hawks. Our belief is just let them get their scooby snack/breakfast/lunch/dinner. That may sound horrific to some folks, but they have to eat too and it's not as if I can change their menu. Additionally, if they don't get one of our feeder birds in our backyard, it will be in our neighbor's or elsewhere anyway. We let nature take it's coarse (in most cases)...so to speak. Some birds eat just seeds, some seeds and insects and others eat other species of birds and fish. We have found that 90% of the time, the hawks that frequent our backyard/feeders/gardens will capture the House Sparrows, Starlings and once in awhile a Mourning Dove.

The exception for us would be if we see an injured bird that we could help with say a broken wing, we'll bring it to local wildlife care facilities. We also chase away feral and local neighborhood cats! DH just recently bought a device called the 'scarecrow-pest deterrant'. It has been working awesome! It does no harm to the cats, but helps keep them out of the gardens/backyard. For us, it's the cats that are the biggest culpret of snagging the babies/juvie birds here.

For those who are cat lovers (we are too...someday we hope to have a few indoor kitties...just not in this house...too small and no reasonable place to put a litterbox), there are plenty of mice and moles they can munch on here...LOL

Lucymo, are you sure about groundhogs? You get those big Punxsutawny Phill guys in your backyard?!  dahblink.gif

Are you sure? How big is your backyard?

@Susan Louise  Oh yes, we have Groundhogs, Fox  and have seen Coyotes a few years ago.  We  live in the city limits but a large creek runs between us and another subdivision and the animals come down the creek from a wooded area.  This end of town is developing so the animals still come here. One year we had Skunk living nearby but haven't seen them lately.

@lucymo Wow! Oh my! and foxes and coyotes too...very cool! Someday, can you take a pic of your backyard with the creek in it?! That is so awesome!!! Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

For anyone interested, there are CIJ shows on now on 'QVC Plus' Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

@lucymo wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

@lucymo wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

@lucymo wrote:

@Susan Louise. I've taken advantage of the sale more times than I should have, I'm sure but it has saved me some money.  I'm sorry to see it end. Thanks for reminding everyone.

@lucymo  Hi GF! Smiley Happy  What has been your most favorite new treasure this year so far? 

For me it's definitely the Luminara Hudson lantern. If our house was bigger, I would find some way of incorporating more into our home! 

Sorry for the delay in responding...just real busy again. We should be seeing our 1st migrating RT Hummingbird any day now, so I'm getting excited. I've been trying to get caught up on a lot of housework I had fallen behind on due to gardening chores and I'm nearly done. This way I can finally sit back and enjoy all the hard work/labor since the process began sowing seeds indoors in January...Whew! LOL

I love sitting on our porch for hours and enjoy the little cuties buzzing around. Some folks have the hummingbirds all summer during the breeding season. For us, it's only during the migration periods...it's around a dozen fly through in the Spring in May (this past Spring it was a record 14+ for us) and for the Fall migration from the end of July through mid October. Last year we had 266+! We document them. The (+) is that we can only document what we see...of coarse we miss a few that either I didn't take a pic of or have it on our video cameras and fly under our radar so to speak...lol

Do you put out hummingbird feeders? Smiley Happy

@Susan Louise  Hi GF, good to hear from you and that you are well and enjoying life with your new lantern.  Smiley Happy It sounds like a fun time with the HB migrating through and being so knowledgeable about them.  We just feed the birds, squirrels and I think Groundhogs.  We put out HB feeders at our old place but haven't started here.  We have a lot of flowers and we see them come by to check out their favorites on their way to the feeders at the neighbors.  Be sure to post pictures of your visitors this season.  Lots of people enjoy your pictures of them, I know I do.

I have a question for you, have you seen a Praying Mantis catch any of the Hummers?  I did some research and found out that it does happen. It just made me so sad to see some of the pictures.

@lucymo  Yes, there have been Praying Mantis in our gardens from time to time. If there are any either DH and I see, we do try and shoo they away. We don't however try and kill them because they are otherwise beneficial. I have seen those pics/video  a few years ago and it is very sad!

In the Fall & Winter we also get Hawks. Our belief is just let them get their scooby snack/breakfast/lunch/dinner. That may sound horrific to some folks, but they have to eat too and it's not as if I can change their menu. Additionally, if they don't get one of our feeder birds in our backyard, it will be in our neighbor's or elsewhere anyway. We let nature take it's coarse (in most cases)...so to speak. Some birds eat just seeds, some seeds and insects and others eat other species of birds and fish. We have found that 90% of the time, the hawks that frequent our backyard/feeders/gardens will capture the House Sparrows, Starlings and once in awhile a Mourning Dove.

The exception for us would be if we see an injured bird that we could help with say a broken wing, we'll bring it to local wildlife care facilities. We also chase away feral and local neighborhood cats! DH just recently bought a device called the 'scarecrow-pest deterrant'. It has been working awesome! It does no harm to the cats, but helps keep them out of the gardens/backyard. For us, it's the cats that are the biggest culpret of snagging the babies/juvie birds here.

For those who are cat lovers (we are too...someday we hope to have a few indoor kitties...just not in this house...too small and no reasonable place to put a litterbox), there are plenty of mice and moles they can munch on here...LOL

Lucymo, are you sure about groundhogs? You get those big Punxsutawny Phill guys in your backyard?!  dahblink.gif

Are you sure? How big is your backyard?

@Susan Louise  Oh yes, we have Groundhogs, Fox  and have seen Coyotes a few years ago.  We  live in the city limits but a large creek runs between us and another subdivision and the animals come down the creek from a wooded area.  This end of town is developing so the animals still come here. One year we had Skunk living nearby but haven't seen them lately.

@lucymo Wow! Oh my! and foxes and coyotes too...very cool! Someday, can you take a pic of your backyard with the creek in it?! That is so awesome!!! Smiley Very Happy

@Susan Louise  I will do that as soon as I can.