Honored Contributor
:

@mousiegirl

Oh thats awful---- your poor DH!!!....Is that a hornet or yellow jacket????  They are suppose to be very aggressive...YIKES!!

@Spurt  Yellow jacket.  They also stung DD when she was little.

@mousiegirl

Oh no---that's terrible about your DD too....And you have to be very careful of bee/wasp/yellow jacket/hornet stings some folks are highly allergic....My brother is extremely allergic and he got stung when he was a kid and couldnt breathe...he has to carry medication with him at all times....and he loves to fish so he has to be careful when he's outdoors.........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt  Did you buy any of Jim's pieces today?

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirlwrote:

@mousiegirl

I bought the Patriotic Angel Ive been eyeing her for awhile...and QVC had the best price..... I collect his angels and she is a beauty.....I do a small vinette for the Fourth of July and she will fit in nicely.............

So did you buy anything today?

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurtwrote:

@mousiegirlwrote:

@mousiegirl

I bought the Patriotic Angel Ive been eyeing her for awhile...and QVC had the best price..... I collect his angels and she is a beauty.....I do a small vinette for the Fourth of July and she will fit in nicely.............

@Spurt  I think that angel is beautiful, love the way the gown swirls off to the side, but I don't decorate for the 4th, but was still tempted.  I did buy the 22" angel, as I can use her Spring through Summer, putting different items in the basket.  Where to store her after that, I have no clue, LOL.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirlwrote:

@Spurtwrote:

@mousiegirlwrote:

@mousiegirl

@Spurt  I think that angel is beautiful, love the way the gown swirls off to the side, but I don't decorate for the 4th, but was still tempted.  I did buy the 22" angel, as I can use her Spring through Summer, putting different items in the basket.  Where to store her after that, I have no clue, LOL.

@mousiegirl

I loved the way the gown swirled on the Patriotic angel too....

Oh I loved that 22" garden angel too---I bet you will have so much fun with creative ideas for items for the basket for both Spring and Summer.......Enjoy her...she's beautiful! 

Honored Contributor

@Spurtwrote:

@mousiegirlwrote:

@Spurtwrote:

@mousiegirlwrote:

@mousiegirl

@mousiegirl

I loved the way the gown swirled on the Patriotic angel too....

Oh I loved that 22" garden angel too---I bet you will have so much fun with creative ideas for items for the basket for both Spring and Summer.......Enjoy her...she's beautiful! 

@Spurt  She won't be going outside. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@crazycockermom, Just wanted to say that I, too, encountered what we call red wasps nesting inside a decorative birdhouse that I had sitting on a table on my back porch last year.  We sprayed and killed them one night, thank goodness, but I decided this year to move it into the yard on a tree and let them have it if they want it.  I don't want to lure them any more to my porches or anywhere near my doors.  We are constantly having to sweep down their attempts at nests on the porch ceilings and corners as it is.  But they had developed a huge nest inside the little bird house before we realized it.  Very scary.  I was always taught not to worry too much about the mud daubers, but who knows.

@mousiegirl@Spurt, I once got stung by a yellow jacket (came out of nowhere--crazy fast) on my temple and that was so painful and took days if not weeks for the swelling to subside. 

Anyway, morewineplease, I really hope your cute new birdhouses fare well and don't attract any stinging insects.  With any luck you'll have baby birds in them. 

I'm doing surprisingly well at resisting the JS items.  They are very cute, as always, though. 

Honored Contributor

@SHOPRwrote:

@crazycockermom, Just wanted to say that I, too, encountered what we call red wasps nesting inside a decorative birdhouse that I had sitting on a table on my back porch last year.  We sprayed and killed them one night, thank goodness, but I decided this year to move it into the yard on a tree and let them have it if they want it.  I don't want to lure them any more to my porches or anywhere near my doors.  We are constantly having to sweep down their attempts at nests on the porch ceilings and corners as it is.  But they had developed a huge nest inside the little bird house before we realized it.  Very scary.  I was always taught not to worry too much about the mud daubers, but who knows.

@mousiegirl@Spurt, I once got stung by a yellow jacket (came out of nowhere--crazy fast) on my temple and that was so painful and took days if not weeks for the swelling to subside. 

Anyway, morewineplease, I really hope your cute new birdhouses fare well and don't attract any stinging insects.  With any luck you'll have baby birds in them. 

I'm doing surprisingly well at resisting the JS items.  They are very cute, as always, though. 

@SHOPR

The mud daubers are supposed to be docile...but who knows....

the mud daubers are supposed to be good at killing spiders.....and a bite by a Brown Recluse is supposed to be extremly dangerous and painful......it sounds like its better to have mud daubers rather than spiders...ARRGGHHH!!!

Respected Contributor

Re: JIM SHORE 3/6 & 3/7!!!!

[ Edited ]

@Spurtwrote:

@crazycockermomwrote:

@Spurt

That’s horrible!!!  Oh wow, I’m so sorry that happened.  

Ironically, when I hung up the birdhouses I noticed a few old wasp nests (I think they are called mud daubers) near where I was hanging them.  These particular wasps build lovely ugly mud nests on the house, under the eaves, in light fixtures, you name it.  I hate them. I was thinking to myself that they better not mess with my birdhouses.   And it makes me leery of ever touching, cleaning, or moving the birdhouses for fear there will be wasps inside.  

Now after reading about your experience they may just stay up there forever.  Lol

@crazycockermom

I had some of those mud dauber mud nests in my storage room off my patio and I knocked them down with an old brown I had in there...and no wasps came out...I was reading on the internet they said to do it at night (wasps sleep at night) and spray wasp spray on the mud nest and then knock it down...they paralyze spiders and bring hem to their nest so paralyzed spiders might fall out...ARRRGGGHHH!!! None came out of mine......

The paper wasp have paper nests....there are actually fake paper wasp nest you can buy online and hang them up to discourage wasps from coming near your property..The wasp think that a colony has already been established so they move on..Im thinking about maybe buying those...I see a lot of paper wasps buzzing around the area... .....

I have some old mud nests I need to knock down, but will do as you did - wait til night, spray, then knock down.  I did not know they paralyzed spiders!!  Acccck!!  

Not sure if we have paper wasps, haven't heard of them or noticed them.  I sure wish there was somethiing I could hang to discourage the mud ones!!   Instead I choose to hang pretty birdhouses to attract them.  lol

Enjoy your patriotic angel.  I have no Jim Shore angels, yet.  I saw that and went wow - loved the colors and the skirt.  I don't really do a patriotic theme, but wouldn't mind having her.  Beautiful!!

Respected Contributor

@SHOPRwrote:

Yikes, another experience with wasps in a birdhouse.  The thing is, they are going to build near where I put them anyway, but I don't want to make it easy on them and give them a home, lol.  Not sure what I'll do.  I love where the birdhouses are now and am constantly looking at them/enjoying them.  If I move them to a "better" place I won't see them much.  I just want baby birds there, no wasps!  lol

Thanks for sharing your experience.  Smiley Happy