Honored Contributor

Study:  Decorating Early for Christmas Makes You Happier

BALTIMORE (WJZ) — Halloween is over, and now Christmas lovers are ready to deck the halls.

While some may roll their eyes, a new study suggests the sooner you put out your Christmas decorations, the happier you will be. The study published in the Journal of Environmental Psychology suggests that decorating early brings up warm and fuzzy feelings around your childhood experiences.

So, putting up the lights and snowman decorations out early could jump start that joy.  The study also claims that people who decorate the outside of their homes are viewed as friendlier and more approachable than those who don’t decorate.

So ready, set, Decorate!

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

I find these studies are a bunch of hoo-ha.  So what if you don't have warm and fuzzy childhood memories and you just get depressed around the holidays -- just don't bother decorating at all??

As far as the outside decorating thing and being more approachable, that's just silly,

Contributor

I agree decorate early less stress later and you can enjoy more❤️🎁

Esteemed Contributor

I never decorate before Thanksgiving.

That said, if Magic Mike stopped by in a Speedo with a hot toddy to get the party started I might be more inclined. 😗

Respected Contributor

But, but, but...I still have my Thanksgiving decorations up! I'll start pulling Christmas stuff out a couple of days before Thanksgiving and be ready to start early on Black Friday. Who needs shopping? Time to decorate!

Honored Contributor

I can't see how!  I can see putting up the lights outdoors but not turning them on until December.  Inside, you have to clean around them for so long.  I wait until all my baking is done and then do a huge house clean and decorate two week s before Christmas.  I can then enjoy my decorations until at least the end of January.  I notice the ones that put them up early often rip them down immediately after Christmas and then start with the winter depression so early.  I still have mine up and am happy until about February when the winter blues hit me!!

Super Contributor

I don't care about any studies.  It makes me happy so I decorate early.  Started 11/1.  My Fall decor has been out since 8/1 and was enjoyed.  Anywho, outside I won't due till Black Friday. 🤶🎅 

Honored Contributor

I start Black Friday Weekend,

https://cdn.quotesgram.com/img/69/15/2086939216-Happy-Thanksgiving-Everyone.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

I won't be decorating this year as we are downsizing and will be moving during the holiday season........yay!    I will be sad not to though, as I enjoy it so much every year.  Oh well I am feeling liberated to streamline and donate or junk so much stuff that has piled up over the years!   Hope everyone enjoys the season no matter when you decide to decorateSmiley Happy

Valued Contributor

I'm going to start rearranging the furniture to accommodate my Christmas tree today.

Winter comes early near the Tetons and I love the extra light that Christmas brings.  I've got candles and white lights everywhere throughout the entire winter season.

My parents come to join us for Thanksgiving and I want the decorations up before they get here.  It adds to the festivities.  I have two grandsons, who are one and three, and they will play with the train underneath the tree.  All of the decorations help to bring Christmas memories closer to my parents when everything is up.    

I will pull down the tree shortly after Christmas, but I leave up white lights until March or so.  My pillows and throws are not particularly Christmas, but they are heavy velvets and faux fur.  My florals are evergreens and the pictures on my walls are winter scenes.  I love dark skies and brilliant white snow and stormy mountains and leafless Aspens and evergreen trees that hold the snow in marvelous ways.  The art reflects the reality of the views out my windows.

I know many people despise winter but I love it.  I love the bracing cold hitting my face when I leave the warmth of my house, and then I love the warmth of my home when I return to it.

For me Christmas and winter are truly the most wonderful time of the year.  I love hot tea and a roaring fireplace and a good book.  I love snowball fights and making snowmen and playing with my grandsons outside.  We are very good at dressing for the weather and it really doesn't bother us.  The change of season just brings new games and new activities to our lives.

I wish you all the best and merriest of Christmases!

Image result for christmas gif