Honored Contributor

Re: Is it just me that thinks Thanksgiving and Christmas are too close together?

This year they are other years there is more time, it all depends on how the calader falls

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Is it just me that thinks Thanksgiving and Christmas are too close together?

polady - you sound like a practical person and I get your perspective. So -- change the game. I used to dread the last two months of the calender year until I changed the game.

Except for specific side dishes, my family doesn't care for traditional Thanksgiving dinner. So, changing the game, I make the side dishes and we grill steaks and shrimp. Daughter requires chili and cornbread for at least one meal over Thanksgiving and I'm happy to comply. A trip to movie theatre after dishes are put away has been tradition for years. And yes, hubs falls asleep in reclining theatre chairs. And we all giggle.  

I don't mind spending money for holidays, but I can tolerate holidays by putting thought into practical gifts. No junk or excessive gifts from me. But sometimes wonderful surprises. Son is having a significant birthday in January. Surprising him by paying a month of childcare for his toddler. Can't wait. He'll do a back flip. 

And, our family adopts a family during holidays, which is always a joy.

Change the game. Make it work for you. Bring back joy by doing it your way -- whatever that means to you.    

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

If the holidays are too much work, too much stress for you. don't do them.  It's obvious you don't enjoy them. 

If you're doing them for someone else, stop being a phony.

Or stop complaining.

No need to be so snarky.....

Frequent Contributor

esme:  If you read my comment a little down from top you would have seen I stated that "they were my favorite holiday and I wish I could ENJOY them longer"  I don't understand where you got that iI said it was too much work or stress and that I didn't enjoy them?  Plus where did PHONY come from?

Esteemed Contributor

@POlady wrote:

esme:  If you read my comment a little down from top you would have seen I stated that "they were my favorite holiday and I wish I could ENJOY them longer"  I don't understand where you got that iI said it was too much work or stress and that I didn't enjoy them?  Plus where did PHONY come from?

i think she was directing her snarky comment to me.....

Trusted Contributor

Yes they are close together.  It seems like Thanksgiving is almost a forgotten Holiday.  Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday since its all about food and family and not need for other gifts or treats.

Although if Thanksgiving was in September it would be right in line with The Christmas decorations going up in stores.  I do like the idea of the Canadian Thanksgiving in early October.

Honored Contributor

Thanksgiving and Christmas are about a month apart, give or take.  I do sometimes wish there was more time bewtween the 2 holidays, especially when they are a little less than a month apart like they will be this year.  

We go from Labor Day in early Septemer to nothing and then bam.  Thanksgiving and Christmas.  

I kind of wish Thanksgiving was in early October.  The weather issue doesn't matter to me because some people live where it's warm all the time and will be warm on Christmas.  What I don't think I could get used to for myself would be Christmas when it's warm.

I don't have an issue celebrating the 2 holidays individually because that is exactly what I do.  My house isn't decorated for Christmas until after Thanksgiving is over.      

Honored Contributor

I believe that Thanksgiving was set up around harvest, and for the areas that grow most of the food, the midwest and the north, and plains states, the harvest isn't over with until about November. In Ohio we are still pulling crops out of the field, my husband is hauling soybeans today. 

I don't like how the two holidays are only like four weeks apart this year, I'd prefer to see six weeks between them, but September is way too early, it's still summer most places in the US, October like Canada does is good for them, as they are further north and their growing season is over so much earlier than most of the US, but November just seems like what it needs to be in the US for most of the nation, crop and weather wise. 

And honestly, back about four decades ago and more, they weren't that close together, in the aspect that we didn't blow the heck out of Christmas the way we do now. I think it makes them seem so close together. 

In the 60's and 70's when I was a kid, Christmas was only in December. Everyone we knew had only a few decorations, they went up maybe in 10 minutes (literally, we had just one small box of things to put out), trees and decor went up just a couple of weeks before Christmas, and everyone got just a few gifts. There just wasn't all this multi month long preparing, multiple trees, whole house decked out like a department store (and needing weeks to put it together), shopping for a million people (including the post man, the bus driver, the teachers, the nail technician), the whole over the top doings. 

I'm not saying people who do all that are wrong. I've been caught up in doing so for many of my younger adult years. But I think it makes it seem like Thanksgiving and Christmas are much closer, because we are trying to jam in so much stuff, in a four or five week period. My opinion is we have two options. Do it, or don't. Maybe taking control of how much we have, how much we do, and remove a lot of it, if it is making us stressed, is the key to finding that the two aren't too close, we just make it that way. Just a thought! 

Trusted Contributor

Yes, I have often wish the holidays were farther apart. I love the holidays even though I work in retail and it’s very busy. If Christmas came in January we could savor all the holidays a bit more. January is so long seems like. I think it would give me something to look forward too especially with other winter festivities going on.
Sigh..... oh well. I’ll enjoy them either way.
Respected Contributor

I would not want Thanksgiving to be in September.....too warm here in Florida for that.

I like Thanksgiving and Christmas where they are and always look forward to both holidays. I start early so I don't allow any pressure to build up and I don't put expectations on myself. 

Some years I go all out and some years I pull back a bit. Because they are so close this year, I will start my decorating earlier than usual....probably in mid November. I am so excited and can hardly wait. Thanksgiving is my favorite.