Esteemed Contributor

Is it better to get "Commercial Grade" lights for the Holidays?

It seems that my lights only last about 2 years and then they start burning out. I've switched to LED, but I have had some issues with those too after a few years...

I am wondering if Commercial grade is the way to got for outdoor lights for the Holidays.....

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Is it better to get "Commercial Grade" lights for the Holidays?

To be honest it's all hit or miss. Nothing lasts anymore. It's a disposable society.  Try them what could it hurt. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, they are made better.  They are used for outside decorations by retailers, malls, businesses, etc.  

I purchased some by Silvestri made in Italy that still work after 25 years.  All of their twinkle lights twinkled individually.  Can't find anyone making that type today.  Unfortunately, Silvestri doesn't make lights anymore.   

Respected Contributor

I'm not sure where you can even find them let alone buy them.  These are very expensive and made for commerical properties cities, and I guess if you have the connections, anyone who could afford some.

When I had my business and building, I thought it would be pretty darn cool to put a huge wreath on the front with a large red bow.  No one in the business district decorated or had something close to this.  I made a few calls and had one quoted, it was close to $2,000 and that was just for the wreath and then I had to have someone install it on the front of the building.  Needless to say, I passed.

I'm not sure what kind of lights you are looking for but I agree they are not made to last years anymore.  I would of hoped you would of gotten more than 2 years though on your lights.  So far, I'm going on year 4 for the house lights but LED's are the way to go, they are brighter and last longer.

Respected Contributor

@Foxxee , I absolutely love the old twinkle lights like you have described.  I so wish that someone would manufacture those again.  If I had known they were going to go extinct, I would have saved some that my parents had.