Valued Contributor

Re: Is anyone decorating more simply, or less this Christmas?

@jannabelle1  I think you've blessed a lot of people with all of the decorations you've donated. I'm with you in trying to follow a more minimal lifestyle.

Your home will be festive with the things you're doing, and the true spirit comes from inside anyway. Have fun decorating, and thank you for posting! pinky

Honored Contributor

@pinky ann wrote:

@software  Have you tried to secure the tree to anchor it in case kitty gets the urge to climb it? We have 4 cats and though they've never attempted it, there could always be a first time. Just a thought...

@Regal BeeI know your home will be beautiful whatever decorating you choose to do.

@Sweetbay magnolia  How fun is that! I've never heard of a tree for fish, but it does sound adorable! Thank you for posting. Very neat post!! 

@goldensrbest  I wish you much peace this holiday season and throughout the new year. I can't imagine your loss. ((((((((((( hugs)))))))))))))   

@Newgateand @qualitygal  LOL I can picture the tree now... Any lights going on the unadorned part? hehehe

Thank you all so much for posting . I loved reading everyone's plans.  pinky

I may try next year.

He's too young & wild this year.

Don't even want to consider anchoring and all that.

I decorate in other ways, let's see what he does with that, ,LOL

Trusted Contributor

Less.  I remember when I had just got married I was all excited about decorating my new home.  I had mentioned decorating to my mom and she had said she was going to do less.  I did not say anything to her but I was thinking "oh what a party pooper".  Well that was several years ago and I'm now probably the same age as she was when she had said she was doing less and I'm now going to be that "party pooper" and also do less!  :-)

Esteemed Contributor

Pinky Ann, I am computer illiterate, so I can't post pix.

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

@software wrote:

Maybe a bit less, due to the feral cat.

I would have to re-decorate every day.

He's still pretty wild.

He's sweet when he wants to be.

I'm told he's going through his "terrible two's"

@pinky ann

@software  So does that mean two curtain rods detached? 2 wrapped gifts redesigned? 

I'll be you are beside yourself waiting for the terrific threes...

Three of these...three of those...LOL

You are so lucky to be able to have a cat. In our small home there is no good place for a litterbox. 

I'm sure your furry friend brings you much joy Smiley Happy

I don't want to think about the creativity of a flying ninja kitty.

He's not as "bad" as he used to be, but I think a tree is out of the question.

I can't see coming home every night to a tree sprawled on the floor.

As soon as I put it up, I just know he would claim it for himself.

Otherwise, he's a sweetie for sure.

I also have another feral but she's about 15 years old, too dignified to fly through the house.

@software  Hysterical!  LOL

Valued Contributor

@BunSnoopI understand that slowing down all too well! lol I always thought it was something you could push thru of you tried hard enough. NOPE.... Have fun with whatever decorating you decide to do. Thanks for posting. pinky

Valued Contributor

@twinny70  No problem. I can make pics work here sometimes, but still need to get much more proficient at it. pinky

Honored Contributor

I'm doing more simply this year.  I go back and forth.  A few years ago I was ill and could barely think about decorating but wanted something.  That year I bought a pre-lit 6' tree and put it up and not much else.   It all seemed so bare and not like Christmas.

Last year I went back to my original tree, which I love.  A 7 1/2 foot but I have to string the lights.  I hate the large pre-lit tree I bought. 

I really want to put up the small 6' tree again and then do other decorating and see if it's better.  LOL  In reality what I really think I need to do is buy a 6 1/2 foot wider tree.  My 6' is just too skinny which makes it look too small.  I have so many beautiful ornaments that I really can't put on this tree.  So I'm stuck.  Not sure I want to fork out the money for a new tree this year and definitely have no desire to go shopping on Black Friday for a deal.  I was in Target last night and looked and the trees didn't appeal to me at all. 

It would be so easy to order a tree from QVC but I know too many people who have and had problems and they said QVC gave them a very hard time over it and they kept the trees, the lights don't work and they'd never buy another from here.         

Valued Contributor

@Lipstickdiva  I hope you're able to figure out a compromise that makes you happy. I have hopefully made my last trip to the mall area today, until after Christmas. It just gets nuts. Cannot do the crowds or traffic. Have you checked anywhere online such as the craft stores, or even Big Lots for trees? I don't think of them often enough, and they may have something you like that  can be brought to your door. Just a thought.... I'm hoping our house will be done enough.We have less places for decor now, and I want it to have that cozy holiday feel like you do. Good luck, happy decorating, and thanks for posting! pinky

Esteemed Contributor

I have two big trees I will part with since I can't get them up the stairs anymore.  My newest tree is a slim 4 ft that is up but it's more tree than I want.  I want a fat tabletop flocked tree.  So far no luck.  I did put up my favorite wreaths, one outside and a lighted one inside.  I don't want the trouble of putting everything away anymore, so I'm not decorating much.