Valued Contributor

Re: Is anyone decorating more simply, or less this Christmas?

@AletaThanks for posting. I'm in a similar place now as you are. I'm doing a few additional things to what you've posted, but not a lot more. I hope you enjoy whatever decorating you decide to do, and enjoy the wonderful Christmas season! pinky

Valued Contributor

@pinky ann

We've done minimal decorating in the couple of past years, but this year, we are even going less than that. I'm going to put out hemlock garlands on the mantle amongst my newest Luminara birch candles and that's it. Then, I will set my Fenton small glass trees on a Valerie mirror on the dining table. I might put out the huge ceramic cardinal I bought at Kirkland's some time ago.  I thought I'd buy a live wreath for the front door today, but my husband said to save my money, because the needles start shedding immediately due to the glass storm door (regardless of the usually cold Colorado weather) and don't want to keep cleaning it up.

I have two Rubbermaid tubs for Christmas decor, and most of it is not going to be used. And if not used next year, out they go. I already had ARC pick up a few large cartons of holiday decorations last month. I keep a small box of ornaments I don't want to part with, inside the Rubbermaid; they are keepsakes/memories. Now, I do have several sets of linens for the tables, I'll be using the plaid things this time around with my Lenox pearl dishes. I just have to pack away all the harvest/fall dishes first (got too many, so I need to decide on which ones need to go).

We're are trying to pare down to minimal like we had during my husband's miltary career, it felt good not to have so much and worry about it each move. When my husband decides to retire from his job now and we find a place we really want to retire to (warmer, please), then we'll be ready. 

Valued Contributor

@Nomore  Thank you for your post. I know your home will be beautiful just by using what you shared in your post.  The mantle will be especially pretty with the birch candles and garland.  

I do want the joy of the season but just need less things now to celebrate it. I reaized yesterday after my family left, that I had the least amount of fall decor out that I'd  ever had, and we still had a great day together. It just confirmed that, for me, less will be fine. I know it will be for you too. Happy decorating! pinky

Regular Contributor

Thank you. You have a wonderful Christmas.

Honored Contributor

It's just me and my family is here on Christmas.  I enjoy decorating to fill the time.  I have donated a lot the past few years--donated all my "collectible" ornaments and do my tree in an easier fashion.  I bought 3 items of decor from Valerie and I returned 2.  I'm taking what I still have in artificial flowers, etc. and using them in different ways.  Next year no decor purchases from QVC--too costly to return as each item was $5.50 in shipping which I do not get refunded plus the cost to send them back.   Not doing a little tree in the family room this year--no one seems to care or notice.  I had my DD try to sell some really nice ornaments (like Christopher Radko, etc.) on EBAY and there was no interest, so I'm donating the last of those too.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

I sure do miss the years in which i decorated our home, miss my son,and husband the way life was ,just myself and 3 dogs,they don't care .

@goldensrbest

I understand how you feel. My mother was a widow at 43, and we children left home just two years later. 

She never remarried, and never wanted to do holidays or decorating for them again. She made feeble attempts for another couple of years, but went decades and did nothing. No baking, no decorating, just coming to our homes for the holidays. 

Just a couple of years ago, she regained some interest (35 years after her loss) in bringing the holiday back into her home, even though alone. She had given away all the old decor, so bought some new things that interested her, and has had some fun doing things, just for herself the last couple of years. 

Perhaps some day, in some way, you may find your way back to enjoying some seasonal decor things. I'm glad you have your pups, they are the best therapy I've ever found.

I was still living at home when my Dad passed away.  We never had another Christmas tree.  I married about 7 years later and my DH and  I always had a nice tree.  Now I'm a widow of a few years and I still put up a tree.  I enjoy it for myself and my kids are here on Christmas Eve and I have little grandkids.   I understand missing decorating with your husband.  No longer have the Christmas lights outside and my tree isn't "on" for very long each evening as I am in another room.  Life is sure different, but I try to keep the holiday going for my kids and grandkids.  I truly understand what you mean by missing the way life was.  Friends tell me "sounds  like you are doing so good."  They still have their spouse and don't realize how lonely it is. 

Valued Contributor

@pinky ann

Thank you for your reply! You are so kind and I know you will have a wonderful Christmas with simplicity.

I love to watch Valerie' shows, but I couldn't imagine doing all this now as I once did many times before. We have a very quiet life at home, no visitors, no family near us (daughter still lives with us saving for a place), no parties, nothing. So giving a small nod to the season is just what's needed.

Valued Contributor

@DaysdeeThank you for your post. I realized how little my family cares about decoration, and just do a bit of it to suit DH and I. When CIJ was on, I watched a show to see what all of the excitement was about. Just before it started, DH asked me to please NOT order from the Q because of the shipping costs. He was fine with me spending as much as I wanted in the stores as all of it would be spent on the things I wanted. He just wasn't ok with the high shipping. I bought only one small piece anyway as I just want everything in our lives simple now. Less decor year round is the norm here in the past few years.

I hope you'll have fun with whatever decorating you decide to do. The holidays are truly about people, not the stuff, no matter how beautiful it may be. Have a wonderful Christmas season! pinky

Valued Contributor

@NomoreYou are very sweet! Our family life is very much like yours, only DS lives close by and not at home. We see him regularly, but the rest of our small family isn't in our area. We get together for Christmas Eve supper, but otherwise it's just the two of us. It's taken some time, but I realized whatever I do decorate is fine with my family, and I'm sure it will be the case with yours. Have a wonderful Christmas! Thank you so much for posting! pinky