Honored Contributor

Re: Is anyone decorating more simply, or less this Christmas?

[ Edited ]

About the tree aspect of Christmas decorating... I've got several trees from which to choose and some years I put up more than one... I'd pretty much decided I was doing only a tabel top tree this year. I then began considering the big (to me) seven and a half footer, thinking about how pretty it is once decorated, but last night, before I had time to second guess myself...  I pulled the table top tree out of the box and set it up within minutes. I decided it really would be enough. I put up the big tree last year, it was beautiful and I enjoyed it, but I'm just not going to do it this year... I'll go through most of my ornaments and enjoy looking at them, while I select the comparatively few that will fit on the smaller tree and it'll be fine...

Woman Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Last year I gave away some Christmas decorations so less for this year.  I have a 3-1/2 foot tree from Pottery Barn that is in a container that is wrapped in burlap and tied.  The tree has ights and I place a few mercury glass green or red bulbs on it (last year I mixed the colors and this year will choose only one color.  I have some other beautiful mercury glass pieces.  I had beautiful crystal trees (2) that were stolen in a move.  Tomorrow I will decorate my deck fence with red and green mini lights since it is going to be warmer.  If I feel I have too much decos, I will donate or give away to neighbors in my building.  Happy Thanksgiving.  I will be getting my decos out tomorrow.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

About the tree aspect of Christmas decorating... I've got several trees from which to choose and some years I put up more than one... I'd pretty much decided I was doing only a tabel top tree this year. I then began considering the big (to me) seven and a half footer, thinking about how pretty it is once decorated, but last night, before I had time to second guess myself...  I pulled the table top tree out of the box and set it up within minutes. I decided it really would be enough. I put up the big tree last year, it was beautiful and I enjoyed it, but I'm just not going to do it this year... I'll go through most of my ornaments and enjoy looking at them, while I select the comparatively few that will fit on the smaller tree and it'll be fine...

Woman Wink

Therein lies the problem of smaller or single trees....the inability to put all the treasured ornaments out!  I've faced that dilemma myself. It is silly but I feel guilty when I don't put most of them out. They all have such memories, that I don't want to skip any of them, but there are so many after all these years, it takes a big tree, or two of them...to be able to enjoy them all.

@stevieb

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

Woman Wink

Therein lies the problem of smaller or single trees....the inability to put all the treasured ornaments out!  I've faced that dilemma myself. It is silly but I feel guilty when I don't put most of them out. They all have such memories, that I don't want to skip any of them, but there are so many after all these years, it takes a big tree, or two of them...to be able to enjoy them all.

@stevieb

@Mominohio Those years that I opt for just the smaller tree, I do find, though, that by going through my ornaments and enjoying looking at them, I can then put them away and only hang those for which I have room... It does tug at the heart a bit, but I also tell myself that maybe next year I'll put up the large tree again... I've done many trees over the years and had plenty of opportunities to use my ornaments, so I've gotten pretty strong about some years simply making the choice to accept and enjoy a more limited scheme...

Smiley Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Valued Contributor

@SnooppThanks for posting. I hope you'll eventually find the right tree for your home. I agree completely with you about doing less, and have pared down probably 75- 80% of our decorations the past few years.

My problem is more about getting things down the stairs than up, and hoping I don't fall. DH and DS would be happy with just the ceramic tree I made decades ago. In fact, my son really wants me to cut out most, or all of the seaonal decorating. He loved it growing up, and actually told me recently how much it meant to him.

The flip side now, especially for Christmas, is that the youngest in our family is 20 years old now, and he and DH feel it's time to reevalute how much the decorating adds, and is the work worth it.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I hope what I do this year will feel like enough. I think it will, and I wish you that peace that we need to come to, that whatever we do is enough, and we should  just do enough to make us happy. If we're happy, our loved ones will be too. Happy decorating! pinky

Valued Contributor

@steviebYou've really summed up beautifully what I've been trying to day with this thread! It's fine if every year isn't a decorated all out year. Our tree is smaller, maybe 5'6" though the box said 6', and it's a really nice in between size. I look forward to putting it up, but this year not until maybe Sunday. I just feel like celebrating more time in Thankgiving mode, so when I do decorate, I'll do so more happy and energized, Thanks so much for posting! Have fun decorating! pinky

Respected Contributor

In recent years we've gone to a more minimal approach. No more lights along the roofline, basically as DH does not do high ladders and such. We are pretty much down to our skinny little "tree" and the front door decorations.

Hollywood1.jpg

L@ChristmasFrontDoor.jpg

Valued Contributor

@Mominohio, I hope that you can come a compromise that will make you happy in your decorating this year. I know so many decorate today, instead of shop, but maybe wait another day or so when you feel more certain about the things you want to use this year. I know you have many decorations, so some things have to be alternated. It's fine to do so. I'm not decorating today for the first time in decades. I want to continue Thanksgiving just a little longer. I actually have pared down my fall before the holiday yesterday, so that's not influencing my decision. I just feel a bit tired and am grateful there's nothing that needs doing today so I can just rest with DH and the kitties, Hope you'll enjoy decorating whenever you do it, and are happy with what you're decorating with. Thanks for posting, and hugs to you! pinky
Valued Contributor

@StylishLady  I think your decorations are very pretty and just enough. I think the feeling of the holidays is the important thing, and if you've got that you've done well. I used to have 2 trees like yours, only shorter. I used them on each side of the fireplace, and they were very festive even though they weren't big. Your DH is smart to know when it's time to stop climbing ladders. Your decorations outside are very welcoming, and look great too. Thanks so much for posting! Have fun decorating your tree, and have a wonderful holiday season! pinky

Regular Contributor

I use to have four trees , beautiful ornaments..many preety things. I got rid of most 

of my things. Really so little left. Now I put up a wreath. A little tree and my creche.

It feels good . Too much work for me now.