Esteemed Contributor

Re: Is anyone decorating more simply, or less this Christmas?

[ Edited ]

A few years back DH and I downsized at that time I donated all my Christmas stuff to our local library for the Christmas book sale. First year I missed it I really did but when I knew my friends were taking it down packing it up and the cleaning well, I laughed and danced, I was free. 😂 Have not missed it since. Happy Holidays to all.. 

Honored Contributor

Wellllllllllllllllllll.....................I always HAVE to get a "few" new things.........ya know........in case the old stuff got broken or lost, or something

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@pinky ann, I was headed in that direction, then last year I added several items.....then did the same thing this year, lol. So it seems I am back to full on decorations for the holidays.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

Maybe a bit less, due to the feral cat.

I would have to re-decorate every day.

He's still pretty wild.

He's sweet when he wants to be.

I'm told he's going through his "terrible two's"

@pinky ann

Honored Contributor

Last year we didn't put up much because of our new pup. This year, she's 1 and a half.  More adjusted to us.  She notices everything and things out of place upset her till we tell her it's ok.  So we'll do a little more, some things still being out of her reach.  She loves the game of keep away, and we don't want that.  So, this year, we'll take another step forward in her learning process about these things.

Honored Contributor

Oh @pinky ann, this seems to be my annual dilemma!

I want to do less, but I buy more. 

I want a clean and stream lined look, but I love all the things I've compiled and the look it creates as well.

Like so many here, I want it both ways, I want my Christmas wonderland, and I want someone else to do the work, cleaning and storage of it all! LOL

For me, the problem is I have an entire holiday season's worth of decor that I had and used for years, and most is very sentimental, handed down or gifted by special people over the years, some of it very expensive.

Then there is a whole new complete look I've curated over the last several years, that is more the look and feel I enjoy right now.

I did give away a lot of older decor many years ago, and have to say, there are a number of things I regret (deeply) parting with, and that has led me to keep way more than I need or use or that is even reasonable to many people. 

I have space to store it efficiently and neatly, but the fact that there is so much still bothers me, and I want to scale it back, but just keep dragging my feet, or end up bringing in more than I remove, which only sends me in the opposite direction I want/need to be going. 

I guess it is like everything else, we do it on our own time, when we need or want to get it done. 

As for this year, I'm still pondering just how much I'm going to utilize. I do the decorating Thanksgiving weekend because it usually is so time consuming, so I don't have much more time to make that decision.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio, I am right there also. The only difference is that once I do my decorating this year, whatever I do not use, I will donate. I don't have sentimental Christmas decor, so it is not a problem for me. I am hoping that all the things I now have, will go seamlessly together for a complete look and that I don't need to buy another single thing. Also hoping that I find many items that I can donate without hesitation.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

If I lived alone, i’d put  a wreath on the door and burn my candles...Done.

But, I don’t and my DH likes Christmas decorations, I decorate less and less each year, but I decorate.  It’s too much work and I don’t enjoy putting it up, looking at it or taking it down afterward.  He celebrates Orthodox  Christmas, so I have to leave it up well into January as do most of the people in my community.

Bah humbug!

Respected Contributor

This year a small tree and the mantle. Sadness in my family life has been a challenge to overcome this year, and anything more is beyond me. I am thankful for the diversion of the these forums and the nice posters here. Truly.

Honored Contributor

@SunValley wrote:

This year a small tree and the mantle. Sadness in my family life has been a challenge to overcome this year, and anything more is beyond me. I am thankful for the diversion of the these forums and the nice posters here. Truly.

@SunValley

I'm so sorry that there has been sadness in your family and I understand the challenges to overcome things sometimes.

I hope that as the season progresses, or as the New Year unfolds, you find some comfort and peace from the things that weigh on your heart right now. I hope you find a new start or your way back to some familiar routines and traditions that will make you happy and content. 

We all can be quite a diversion some times, with our antics and friendships. Glad it can help, I know it does for me very often.