Trusted Contributor

Re: Is Fall the 'heart' new year for you?

I'm afraid we still have a few more hot months here in the Carolinas. Tho I do get a little sad when it starts to get dark earlier. But I love fall and start anticipating it right after the Fourth of July. I try to enjoy the moment and not wish my life away. But fall is my favorite. I look forward to cooler nights, football games and seeing the leaves turning. I have noticed already the tint of the sun starting to change.   Seems like the actual changing of leaves etc. season is so short.  I have some time off this week and I plan on getting some deep cleaning over with,so I can start my fall decorating. I do enjoy and anticipate buying new shoes or boots and clothes. I have already bought a few items and look forward to    wearing them. Fall does take me back to younger days and a lot of fond memories of school etc.. I guess in lots of ways it is new beginnings and endings .  There's just an excitement I get thinking about fall for many reasons. Looking forward to it as always. 

Super Contributor

@Regal Bee wrote:

I live in Florida and we don't really have seasons.....yet, I do not let that stop me. Seasonal decorating is often a state-of-mind and I have a very active imagination. 

I decorate our home for Fall starting in September and usually go all out. I love Halloween and Thanksgiving and decorate for those and also, of course, Christmas. 

Winter and Spring are my absolute favorites and I totally detest summer. 

I decorate when the mood strikes me and I am not dictated to by the calendar. I have a dear friend that starts her Fall decorating in July. I just love her for that.....she knows her own heart. 

Seasonal decorating is a joy and should be celebrated when it makes one happy....not before or after. 

@Regal Bee : Well said..

Super Contributor

@Mominohio: Fall for me, when the kids were little, was actually my new year too.. When my kids were little, I always took a picture of them on the first day of school.. I started with nursery and up until freshman in college.. After freshman it was so hectic moving into the dorms; meeting new and old friends; there was no time for pictures.. As crazy those move in days were; those times have left an indelible mark in my heart..

Even though I'm a pastel gal, I truly love to decorate in the fall colors.. Its warmth, its anticipation for the holidays to share with friends and family.. Great thread!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Fall isn't a new beginning for me.  To me, it signals the end of the year is coming and we're heading toward winter, which I hate.

I always get melancholy in the fall.  I mourn the loss of summer and dread the upcoming winter. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

Although I love fall.....I have always thought of Spring as the start of a New Year because of all the stuff that is starting to bloom...

Trusted Contributor

As a teacher, fall is all about new beginnings, new students, new teachers (now much younger than me), and new clothes.  Even now, I always feel like I need new clothing in the fall.  I try to enjoy each season and each day and, at the same time, I anticipate the next one.  Fall and spring are my favorites as far as the weather and the colors (bright colors in the fall and subtle greens and whites in the spring). Summer is great because of my time off and time spent vacationing, working in my garden, canning, going to the lake, catching up on my reading, getting major cleaning tasks done, etc.  Winter is the season that I don't care for much.  I want to hibernate when it's cold and gray.  That is the time when I find that I do enjoy craft projects more. 

Let's just look at all the seasons this way-  "This is the day that the Lord has made, we will rejoice and be glad in it"!

Honored Contributor

My DH always said that the day after labor day the entire business world hits the floor running.Things are slow and lack a daisy over the summer, not much time before the Christmas slow down - so lots to do in Sept, Oct, Nov - early Dec.  Short slow down for the holidays ,then once again Jan 2 - everyone is all revved up til about July.

It seemed my profession was the opposite - many elective surgeries and procedures around the holidays and in the summer because that was when their professional lives were slower, so they could take some time off.

Respected Contributor

Fall is my favorite season, but we don't really have a "fall" where I am now. If it weren't for the coffee places selling pumpkin spice lattes, I would have no idea when fall started.

Honored Contributor

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

Fall is my favorite season, but we don't really have a "fall" where I am now. If it weren't for the coffee places selling pumpkin spice lattes, I would have no idea when fall started.

It's only mid August but I got some pumpkin coffee at Publix last week. UMM delicious.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@juanitalinda

I like Fall and the cooler weather!--in Texas that will be in October (but I put my Fall decorations out the day after Labor Day anyway) We have a few trees that change colors, but we rely mostly on outside and inside Fall decorations to create the Fall season.  I love the colors and sense of coziness.  (Fall/Christmas/Winter are my favorite seasons) I like the Fall clothes too! 

Fallen Leaf on Apple iOS 11.3Jack-O-Lantern on WhatsApp 2.17

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”