Honored Contributor

Re: Is Anyone Celebrating Mardi Gras?

I like to celebrate "Fat Tuesday" as we call it in the South, by eating red beans & rice and other special foods, since it is the last Tuesday before Lent on Wednesday!

Honored Contributor

We never celebrated it growing up.   My family felt it was hypocritical to party hearty then the next day go to church for your ashes & make your sacrifice for Lent.   I guess that has stayed with me.   I don't get the attraction of Mardi Gras but I do enjoy New Orleans.   I love the architecture, antique shops, music & food.    I live in the southeast and it's a great trip to make by train.   

You should go sometime.

@Noel7

Honored Contributor

I appreciate your festive recipes, Noel7.  When I first lived in N.O., we would trek to the parades every year, but later on, friends and I found that we could almost ignore it, and still be happy!

The fun thing about New Orleans is, you can sample the culture year round, and then partake or not partake in Mardi Gras as the mood strikes you.  The traffic foul-ups that would inevitably happen every year were annoying, and that made it harder to get to work etc.

Cafe du Monde is an enduring institution-- you are so lucky to get great beignets where you live!  I miss those, the endless parade of great restaurants, and new ones all the time, and the access to great jazz, the most...

Honored Contributor

We are going to Shrove Tuesday at our church for pancake dinner - that is as celebratory as we ever get. I used to have a friend who would have a mardi gras party every year - and they always ionvolved way too much alcohol & drug consumption for me, so I would not go.

Honored Contributor

Many cultures celebrate Carnival. I think the word actually means, farewell to flesh

It was customary to use up all of the fats,  and sugar and eggs ,before Lent starts.

People used to observe the back fast, which meant no meat, eggs or dairy products.  Some people still fast that strictly

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

I appreciate your festive recipes, Noel7.  When I first lived in N.O., we would trek to the parades every year, but later on, friends and I found that we could almost ignore it, and still be happy!

The fun thing about New Orleans is, you can sample the culture year round, and then partake or not partake in Mardi Gras as the mood strikes you.  The traffic foul-ups that would inevitably happen every year were annoying, and that made it harder to get to work etc.

Cafe du Monde is an enduring institution-- you are so lucky to get great beignets where you live!  I miss those, the endless parade of great restaurants, and new ones all the time, and the access to great jazz, the most...

Hi @Oznell

Thank you for your post, I love hearing about your experiences.  I totally understand about starting to skip the parade at a certain point.

There are quite a few parades in San Francisco, the Chinese New Year parade is the largest Asian celebration in the world outside of China.  We used to go every year and stay in Chinatown to eat and stroll.  It got to be too crowded, no parking and we got older, LOL.

Luckily, SF also has never-ending new and fabulous restaurants, so we do have that Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

This is going to be fun for us.  I ordered a festive tee shirt for DH and a mask for DD.  She found and ordered a string of led lights in green, gold and purple.

After all this dreary rain, I'm ready for a little color and festivity.  The good part is that very little cooking is involved Woman LOL

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

No...    I never heard of anyone doing that.  NO during Mardi Gras is on my bucket list.