Valued Contributor

Re: Interesting reply from Valerie re: her products and China made to FB poster

At the volume she seems to sell, I stand by my original comments that price will never be even remotely close if she attempts to use manufacturers in the US. And she & her team are VERY aware of that fact. It's probably lip service saying she'll " look into" US manufacturing, but at the end of the day she knows she makes a much higher profit margin from overseas factories. And profit margins are #1 if you're as successful as she is. Period. Sales tax is irrelevant and would have a very minimal affect if any. It's the cost of hiring US workers at a MUCH higher hourly wage in addition to a multitude of other factors. As an example-a $50 item made in China could be $200 made here if not more at retail cost. Sure there are exceptions, but it's not the norm. It just is what it is. And this is first hand knowledge being in the business.
Valued Contributor

If you TRULY want to " buy made in the USA" go to your local mom & pop stores where you live or Google stores/websites as such to order online. Or visit local craft shows or farmers markets.

Don't expect national chains or QVC to have a majority of these kinds of products. It's just not feasible with the sheer volume of products they sell. Yes there will be some, but not a lot.

Not every store or website can cater to everyone.
Honored Contributor

She said the right thing but there's no way her tchotchkes will ever be made in the USA.  Well, maybe one or two, but not the vast majority. 

Honored Contributor

We might see more American made items from her but they will be more expensive and we won't see them in 2021, probably not even in 2022.  

Respected Contributor

I have very mixed feelings regarding Valerie's merchandise. Some of the things I have ordered have disappointed me and others have exceeded my expectations. I consider my purchases much more than in the past. Overall, I don't see much difference between Valerie's things and the brick and mortar stores, in general.

Valued Contributor

I would like to see US firms set up manufacturing in countries other than China.  Why not countires in South America or Africa?  Let's bring income to countries that could use it and stop supporting China.

Valued Contributor

What happened to Fenton?
I remember buying several Fenton signed pieces.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@countrylady wrote:
What happened to Fenton?
I remember buying several Fenton signed pieces.

@countrylady 

Sadly, they went out of business in 2015..... I still have a few pieces I purchased from them....

Here's the news as it appeared---The Fenton Art Glass Company has announced that it is not taking any new orders, and will be closing its doors by the end of October 2015. It’s no mystery why Fenton had to go out of business. A trip to your local discount chain store holds the answer. It would be very hard for an American Company - concerned for workshop safety, fair wages, and high-standards of quality control - to compete with the current flood of cheap imports.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Wobin wrote:

I would like to see US firms set up manufacturing in countries other than China.  Why not countires in South America or Africa?  Let's bring income to countries that could use it and stop supporting China.

@Wobin 

I remember years ago when I purchased clothing from QVC....some had labels saying they were made in Vietnam or Cambodia or China....  I remarked to a friend that the clothing made in Vietnam seemed to be of better quality.....But I havent noticed where they are made now, and the website just says "imported"............

Now the company, Life Is Good, QVC sells their t-shirts occasionally, most of their apparel is made in Peru 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”