Honored Contributor

Re: Interesting reply from Valerie re: her products and China made to FB poster

Made in the USA doesn't mean quality as in years past.

I just can't imagine the mass quantities of her things (or anything else) being painted by true artisans unless paid extremely well.

Years ago, being a "artisan" for instance with Fenton or Lenox -- they were "proud" of their work and relatively paid well.

I recall going as a little girl going to Fenton glass with my mother for a summer trip (I think inVA) we saw the artisans making the pieces -- and I recall then prices were high.  So I assume it's all relative --

Just look at how many appliances don't last anymore and claim to be made in US -- case in point, my KA food processor 18 months old ...died☹️

Honored Contributor

Wonderful news!!!

Super Contributor

I bought my granddaughter a Mckenzzie Childs tea kettle for her new home. It was $150. I was in shock when she received it that it is made in China and it came in a cardboard box. You would think for that much money, that company would have a beautiful box for their items. Even Lenox and Jim Shore come in nice boxes. I was so mad that I called the company and told them how I felt. She said that all of their enamel ware comes from China because the US doesn't have any factories like that. I don't know if that is true, but I have not gotten anything else from that company.

Esteemed Contributor

I admire that poster for reaching out in this way.  This has been discussed numerous times on these boards and I think many of us would pay more for a USA made item.

I know I certainly would.   I don't feel it would be that muchmore expensive, it's not like we are not overpaying now for items made in China!

QVC Customer Care

Valued Contributor

There is NO feasible way to mass produce as much stuff as she sells that would be comparable in price if made in the US. Let's not also forget that the stuff she sells she personally does not make or design. While I am not involved with her business, I have been in the crafting business 20+ years--my mom over 40 years. There are trade shows you go to or now are online (or websites for people/businesses w tax ID numbers) and you pick out what you want to buy en mass. If you have bigger buying power you may be able to tweak a color or something- but you're not personally making or designing anything.

I could pick out several of her items & tell you which catalog or company she bought them from wholesale & slaps her own label on. And obviously doubles, triples or more the price!

True handmade items are sold/made in much smaller quantities & at higher prices due to labor & materials costs here. It's just a fact.

Most items are made in other countries. It's repeated ad nauseum, but the phone or computer you're typing on to complain about foreign items was made in a foreign country. Your car was made or has a majority of the parts made elsewhere. Etc etc. etc. etc.
Honored Contributor

@sometimesQVCaddict  I think people know Valerie doesn't design or make the products she sells. Some just want to purchase products made in the US and are hoping she can accommodate them.

Honored Contributor

A simple way to bring more manufacturing back to the states is to simply waive sales taxes on items made in the US. The national average sales tax is 7.12% (according to AARP.) Waiving sales tax on US-made items would lower their final consumer cost enough to offset the lower labor costs overseas. 

Manufacturing things in China has risks. Many Chinese factories continue to churn out "your" product after their contracted run and sell it to other retailers who then compete directly against you using your design and product but at a lower cost. Intellectual property rights tend to be largely ignored by Chinese officials. If a Chinese factory has the tools, machining, dies, etc. to turn out a product, they don't always stop when the contracted product run is done. They just keep producing the item and sell it to other retailers who then compete against you with an identical product, often at a discounted price. It's not the ideal country to work with.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Valerie is just a vendor who brings Hobby Lobby type stuff to Q. She's a pleasant lady but none of "her" merchandise is genuine handmade quality because Q runs on volume. 

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

I hope something comes of this. I think QVC needs, in all their touting of what companies they present (black owned, women owned, gay owned etc.), should really look at offering and promoting goods/lines from US based/owned/manufactured companies as well. 

It's going to cost more, but look for quality products and they will sell. 

@Mominohio    Just because a product is made in the USA doesn't guarantee high quality.  We made our share of crapoy stuff too.  My parents quit buying American-made cars back in the '60s after having several that were cheap garbage.  We didn't buy an American car for years and years. 

The clothing made in China is much better quality than the union-made USA things I remember from yesteryear where buttons fell off and seams pulled out almost as soon as you got the garment.  I've never lost a button off of a Chinese made piece of clothing. 

We're seniors and have not purchased American cars in decades. We buy mostly Toyota, some of which are assembled in USA. Quality of goods in America has slid down a slippery slope. As that old ad used to say:  "This is not your father's Oldsmobile."