Esteemed Contributor

Inexpensive Christmas Day Dining Table Centerpiece

Hi Everyone!

It's so easy to spend quite a bit of money on home dec during the holidays.  It's all I can do to constantly tell myself, "No," you REALLY don't need that.

For those who might be considering something different for your dinning room table, sideboard, kitchen table or wherever, I'd like to share with you what I've done for at least 30 years.  (My daughter, now 38, still asks if I'm going to do this.)

This is what you need:

1.  3 Rome apples (or a type that is nice, red and fat).  Make sure that when you turn the apple upsidedown, to sit on the stem end, it sits nice and flat w/o tipping.

2.  3 white taper candles.  Longer ones are visually more appealing than the short ones.

3.  A bunch of short, fresh pine branches.  I like Monterey Pine very small branches about 6" in length.  The type of branch from a Christmas tree won't work here.  Find a tree with long needles.

4.  A length of Saran Wrap to place on the table.

5.  Fresh cranberries, really small pine cones, if you have kids, they may like to sprinkle on metallic stars.

Making it happen

1.  Place Saran Wrap in the middle of your table where you want the centerpiece to be.  This is to protect your tablecloth and table from dripping tapers.

2.  In the kitchen, turn the apple stem side down and core with an apple corer, about 3/4 of the way down.   

3.  Remove plastic wrapping from candles and gently work candles down into the 3 apples.  Sometimes the candles tip one way or another.  When this occurs, I get out the corer again and working little by little, remove  apple on one side until I can place the candle in the apple so that it sits correctly.

4..  Now place the apples on the table.  You may choose to do this in a straight line or off-set them slightly.

5.  Artfully add the greens, then the cranberries, little pine cones and anything else you wish.

(6.)  I have done this centerpiece with 4 apples, making it an Advent centerpiece.

~Rebecca

Respected Contributor

Re: Inexpensive Christmas Day Dining Table Centerpiece

That sounds absolutely beautiful! We will be spending Christmas (an extended stay) with my parents (age 89) and I've been trying to think how to make their dining table festive without spending a lot of money. This sounds perfect.

Esteemed Contributor

@froggy wrote:

That sounds absolutely beautiful! We will be spending Christmas (an extended stay) with my parents (age 89) and I've been trying to think how to make their dining table festive without spending a lot of money. This sounds perfect.

@froggy

Hi froggy,

If you do follow through with this, please remember to bring an apple corer.  There's just no replacement for it, when it comes to removing that nice round piece of apple down the middle of the apple.

Hope you have a safe and joyous Christmas with your parents.

~Rebecca

Respected Contributor

I too have done this...

I have used Artichokes, and Mini Pumpkins coring them out and placing both taper candles and tea lights inside...Doing both gives dept and height.  I go out into my garden...Usually, I find some Rose Hips (that were not trimed back...) Lemon leaves, Magnolia Leaves and Ivy...I believe in using what you have...What is available in your own setting / yard.  

I will place plastic garbage bags on the grass and when the sun is out spray paint the Magnolia leaves and ivy in shades of gold and silver and for Thanksgiving Copper Color spray paint looks lovely...Let dry completely before bringing into the home..But do bring in before the sun sets...You do not want them to get any dampness on them.  

This techinque can be used for any of the Holidays.

Happy Fall / Thanksgiving / Christmas / Hanukkah