Honored Contributor

Re: If you could only keep one

The nativity set I purchased from Sears 2 years after we married, before our daughters were born.

Contributor

I have a hanging, puffy, felt/sequence decoration of a santa and a reindeer with stars. It was one of our decorations from the 1960's, when I was a young child. 

Respected Contributor

Willy Rae Studio piece of the 3 Wise Men ....about 15 inches tall ....

Respected Contributor

I think I would keep my collection of Christmas china. I have several, but if I could keep only one it would be the Christmas pieces that go with my Old Country Roses. Even with just that I would feel very decorated and festive. 

Valued Contributor

I would keep the ceramic nativity scene I made in ceramic class many.....years ago. I still love it and it is the reason for the season!

Respected Contributor

Whew, good thing you left out the tree decorations or I'd be sunk!

It's a toss up between the ceramic santa and reindeer that go on the diningroom talbe or the Santas through history grouping for the mantle.  I think though I would have to keep the Santas as they are all different and I love finding out about history/lore of things.

Honored Contributor

My mom made a ceramic Christmas 🎄 tree that I set out each year. It has the plastic ornaments to fit in the holes in the tree. She loved ceramics classes with the ladies at church in the 70s-80s.

Honored Contributor

@NEvans2 wrote:

I love snowmen so it would have to be my little group of snowmen that I put on my bookcase every Christmas season.

@NEvans2

Nice choice! It works for much more than Christmas!

Honored Contributor

@CAcableGirl2 wrote:

@Mominohio  That's a great question.  I would probably keep my Spode Christmas Tree china.  I host Christmas each year, and we've had some great family dinners on those plates. 

It was purchased piece by piece many, many years ago, when it was made in England and not China.

I joke with my sons that they better not sell it off at a garage sale for pennies when I'm gone.  

@CAcableGirl2

I understand the attachment to certain dishes. I have a set of Currier and Ives that were our 'china' growing up, and they started out with my grandmother, then mother and now me. Six generations of our extended family have shared meals and fellowship over those dishes, and I'll never give them up. Just setting the table with them brings back all the memories of all those people and the time shared. 

I hope that by the time you are moving those on, at least one of your sons or even their children will be happy to have them.

Honored Contributor

@froggy wrote:

I think I would keep my collection of Christmas china. I have several, but if I could keep only one it would be the Christmas pieces that go with my Old Country Roses. Even with just that I would feel very decorated and festive. 

@froggy

I love the Old Country Roses pattern and wasn't aware there were Christmas pieces for that! I'm going to look them up!