Honored Contributor

Ideas for stocking stuffers under $10 and elderly

WTOP news produced this short video called "Stocking Stuffers under $10" and they even direct you to CVS and Walgreens, etc!

Thank you to @lolakimono

for getting me started with WTOP... it has lots of great articles.

I will fill in with these little items this year.

BTW: if you know of someone who is home bound or elderly and they can't get out to shop, I have thought of some things that perhaps they cannot do withou:

scissors, nail files, stamps, magazines, Ensure or similar, chocolates/cookies to offer visitors, good tweezers (I don't know how one finds good tweezers).

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

Re: Ideas for stocking stuffers under $10 and elderly

Postage stamps.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Trusted Contributor

At my old job we used to put together stockings for the elderly. We had all kinds of stuff. Socks, deck of cards, puzzle books, pens, little tablets of paper, books, glade plug ins, batteries, mini flashlights, jar gripper openers, kitchen utensils, nail polish, lotions, tea, hot cocoa packs, chap stick, pill organizers, you name it.  If it fit in a stocking, in it went. Lol.

Honored Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

Postage stamps.

I do this for my mom all the time.

Also, it depends on if the person lives independently and what their financial status is.

Some good things for those that aren't among the 'has everything' group include

new dish towel and dish cloths

subscription for a couple of months for the newspaper (many older people still prefer print magazines and papers) or a favorite magazine

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio@MezzieStarr@Peaches McPhee

Thank you for these great ideas!

The little vid in the link shows:

Christmas flavored chapstick

Regular flavor chapstick

Chocolate teddy bears (CVS)

I don't know about you but who doesn't need more stickies or note pads?

Esteemed Contributor

We had a volunteer project yearly at an elder care project in NYC and we would select a name and they would indicate what they wanted....so many of them wanted old music from their era and they would indicate their playing device most were CDs as there was a player in their community room and some had one of their own......but, if you have a lot of Sinatra, Sammy Davis, Dean Martin, Big Band, Holiday music etc stored on your PC, it's nice to copy music on to discs and give them as gifts and they really love it ....these were not all homebound people, so gloves, scarfs and gift cards to local stores, especially Dunkin Doughnuts were popular. 

Contributor

How about some of the following items (you can purchase many of these items at your local Dollar Store). For example, how about hand lotion, oven mitts, beautiful kitchen towels, pot holders, Christmas ornaments, butter mints or soft sweets or chocolates, a night light, batteries, flash light (in case of a power failure or bad storm),  K-cups (take them out of the box), gift certificate to McDonald's or Wendy's, favorite movie, a CD with his or her favorite singer or performer (eg, Elvis Presley, Tony Bennett, Frank Sinatra, Michael Bublé, etc.). 

Honored Contributor

@ChiTownGal@Stray@Mominohio

@MezzieStarr@Peaches McPhee

What great ideas! Please keep em coming!

I haven't had to fill stockings for little ones in years, and this year I will be really on the hunt!

Also, I have a couple of DBILs who are lonely so they will be happy to have little goodies, too.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Stocking items <$10

Here they are in pictures... you can click to enlarge them:

IMG_4248.PNG

IMG_4268.JPGIMG_4269.JPGIMG_4270.JPGIMG_4271.JPGIMG_4264.PNGIMG_4281.JPG

SUGAR COOKIE

IMG_4265.PNGIMG_4272.JPGIMG_4273.JPG

Straws flavor.         Bath fizz WF.         MADE FR   DUNG

Esteemed Contributor

My suggestion - batteries!!  So many items require batteries now a days!!  I have asked for batteries for the last two years.  Saves me shopping time and trouble and is a gift that will be used and always appreciated!!