Respected Contributor

Re: IS THERE ANYONE ELSE WHO DOES NOT LIKE GLITTER??

Yes...I love sparkle and glitter at the holidays...Everytime, I pull out my Antique Christmas Ornaments and the shinny glitter that still grace each ornament makes my Heart smile.

Esteemed Contributor

I like a subtle dusting of glitter here and there...but I agree alot of things this year are just so heavily coated in it.

Honored Contributor

I so dislike all this glitter, everything is so heavily coated with glitter that it cannot possibly stay on the items, but falls off everywhere. For weeks after putting away or donating these items, I am still finding it...even after a thorough cleaning. Ugh! Several years ago I bought VPH's ceramic turkey for the Fall/Thanksgiving holidays, displayed it for a couple weeks, packed it back into the box and there it has stayed, this year I gave it away, just don't want to deal with that mess, although it was very pretty. I think glitter it one of the reasons I am no longer looking at new holiday decor these days, lol. Everything is simply drenched in glitter.
"To each their own, in all things".
Esteemed Contributor

Despite my best efforts with a leaf blower and tons of shaking outdoors, I have some recently purchased glitter covered items that have still shed the small glitter all over my floors.  I have not even decorated with them yet.  This is happening just in the course of packing them up (I re-boxed them a couple of times) until time for Christmas decorating. 

I really like the type of glitter treatment that makes an item look frosted.  It has caused me to buy a few items that I would probably have passed on if they didn't have that frosted look.

But, I agree, glitter in any form is SO annoying in the house because it cannot all be vacuumed up.  Maybe it is due to static electricity and the fact that it gets everywhere.

Respected Contributor

I like glitter.

Honored Contributor

I love glitter. 

LOL

Respected Contributor

You're not alone. I despise glitter (I'm ok with unicorns and princesses, though.) 

I also hate the fragrance that a lot of stuff in Michaels and AC Moore and now JoAnn's is drenched in. If I have to go in for a single item, I have to hold my breath, dash to find it and check out before breathing it in or I get an asthma attack. So... now I shop online only. It's obnoxious. 

Honored Contributor

I think too much glitter can be so overwhelming. There were VPH shows where those glitter angels were followed by glitter picks, and then glitter birds.......yikes!  In one of the recent YHJ shows, Jill implied there's a new process for applying the glitter, perhaps better glue or something, and that some of the newer glitter items don't rub off on hands, clothes, carpets, etc.

I just bought a wreath with major glitter and "stuff" on it, and it works, I think it's beautiful.  But I will never have a glitter angel, or even glitter ornaments.  So I guess "it depends" describes my glitter tolerance.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

One of the things you hear time and time again from decorating shows is the importance of different textures and to me that applies to glitter---too much of anything is just NOT GOOD!

I was just in Michael's yesterday afternoon and came across their "glitterworld" and the stuff was just all over the place including the floor---I was surprised the restrooms didn't include toilet paper with glitter!!!  Woman LOL

I finally found some picks in a different part of the store that had greenry, pine cones and berries, and what looked like ice droplets and no glitter----I happily purchased a few of these........

I know some people decorate with their kids or grandkids in mind, and some people just love to sparkle.....BUT come one retailers with nothing but glitter it just makes our homes look way  overdone......MODERATION and DIFFERENT textures is a GOOD thing!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bellabutterfly wrote:

Yes...I love sparkle and glitter at the holidays...Everytime, I pull out my Antique Christmas Ornaments and the shinny glitter that still grace each ornament makes my Heart smile.

@Bellabutterfly  Now that's where I like to see a bit of glitter on SOME of the ornaments and the lights from the tree make them sparkle---and all you need is a bit and not TONS of glitter on them either.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”