Honored Contributor

IN BETWEEN CHRISTMAS AND SPRING

I like to read how other people approach "un-decorating" after the holidays.

I used to leave up Christmas decorations until Twelfth Night;  but I got restless and put the last of my decorations away yesterday.   Sometimes, the longer I put it off, the more depressing it can seem!  So, chop-chop it's all done.

After Christmas, like a lot of people, I like a more sparse, "clean" look.   Took away the red --  berries, plaids, ribbons, etc.  Emphasizing "winter white" right now, and natural woods and greens.  But I do want New Year's warmth, and a little bit of sparkle.

So I've put out more creams, golds and brass, and still have pine sprigs.  A little bit of crystal and pressed glass for the icy 'sparkle' of winter.

A few examples:   In dining room, I took out the red wooden cranberries I had in a massive wood bowl.  Now there is a faceted gold bead garland coiled in it, with a few pine sprigs interpersed.  My vintage brass swan nestles in with it...

Coffee table has been "stripped down" to neutrals.  I have my old wooden Bombay company tray.  On top, three things.   My thrifted pale wooden shorebird, a vintage pressed glass dish I've put tea lights in, and this reactive glaze pottery I got at Big Lots a few season ago:

8IN+CERAMIC+VASE+GREY+WHITE+REACTIVE.jpg

The whites and taupes are restful to me after the colorful tumult of Christmas.

Do you tend to "subtract" your holiday decor, and leave everything else as is?   Or do you play around with other colors and textures for the rest of the winter?  If so, please describe!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: IN BETWEEN CHRISTMAS AND SPRING

I do not decorate for holidays anymore. I like to change up to cozy now. A throw blanket on back of couch. Velvet throw pillows. I turn to browns and oranges. I like my smaller lanterns scattered about to lite dark corners. 

Your home sounds lovely @Oznell 

Honored Contributor

This year I was like @godi .

The only real Christmas decor was a wreath on my front door.

It came down yesterday and was replaced with the usual one of leaves, dried flowers, and a big bow with dangling ribbon.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell : I like your post-holiday winter pallette!

Staying up at least through the weekend: the creche, Christmas card display and the light display on the entry bombe chest. Outside- lights. Will light one last time on Thursday for Epiphany.

Already back in the basement: DR display Santas, LR mantel decor and LR Christmas items.

Staying up until later in January: wreaths, Big Lots lighted candle centerpiece on the DR table and the tree. Gotta have the lights from the tree!

Respected Contributor

I add a few Christmas decorations that work for Winter to my everyday primitive decor...this year in the living room it's sisal deer on the coffee table & drysink, metal snowmen on the hearth & green pine tree Luminara candles on the mantel. I like keeping seasonal decor simple. Enjoy your lovely home @Oznell.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

My winter look is different from my holiday/Christmas look.  I use different accessories, throw pillows, bedding, kitchen and bath linens and different shades on my chandelier.  Other than cream/ivory battery-operated candles, there's nothing from my Christmas decorating still out.

Honored Contributor

The outside lights came down today, so we put out so little that's pretty much it.  I don't decorate seasonally so I sort of like my things the way they are.

We still have the big tree that someone will come take down--but it only has a few large scale ornaments on it so that isn't a problem.  It is so pretty!  

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell   Your description of what you did sounds much like mine. I like to put different items out. 
    I have a vintage brass swan that I love. I put it on the chest in the foyer next to a brass candle holder with beaded glass and the firefly type lights. They play off each other.

The living room has a white sofa. I keep the matching pillows and add one seasonal in the middle. White with beige stitching. A White and beige, grey arrangement is on the coffee table with burgundy velvet roses because my oriental rug is that shade.
    In a dark corner I placed Valerie's white birch tree that plugs in and comes on automatically. It's in front of her taller green plants. With it I don't miss the tree lights. 
     The battery candles are all changed in holders or lanterns. They are in the living room, foyer, den bookcases and on the mantle with winter but not Christmas figurines.
     The kitchen table has a tall filler vase with candle and the cranberries with small pine cones were removed . I always replace Christmas filler with corks and a few small grapes in the top layer mixed in for the New Year. 
      The place mats there are switched to fruit with grapes and a wine bottle center tile. Fun! 
      🦢 🕯 💡🌹🍾🍇🍐

Trusted Contributor

Although I LOVE Christmas and the beauty of the bright lights and decor, I enjoy getting my house back to "normal" after it's over.  I wrote in another thread that my home is decked out in seasonal decor from September through December (fall, Halloween, Thanksgiving, and then Christmas) and it can be a bit much at times to keep putting things away and changing things out.

That being said, I do add some winter touches to my home once Christmas is over.  I have a large Luminara Heritage lantern that I put three white Luminara candles in for the winter.  I decorate the inside with white-tipped pinecones and some greenery.  I have some crystal bowls and a beautiful silver platter that I decorate with the same pincones and greenery in the living room and on the dining room table.

I purchased a beautiful antique-looking snowflake ornament set from Martha Stewart last year.  It came with five large beaded and glittered wired ornaments.  I love them and hang them in some of my windows. 

I also have a beautiful cloche from Valerie Parr Hill (my favorite purchase from her!) that I keep in my kitchen.  I change that out seasonally as well.  I have beautiful "winter" ornaments inside.  They are white or clear with glitter and beading.  I also put a few winter green ones in there for a pop of color.

I have a few other snowflake related decorations that I have around the house too.  Nothing I have is too much or too crazy.  I just like adding white, a touch of silver, and some natural tones to my home during the winter months.  Once Easter gets closer, I start adding some pastels.

Honored Contributor

@godi,  @GingerPeach , @queendiva , @kitcat51@Marsha2003@Sooner@1Snickers@Grade1Teach :

Thank you for responding with your own very individual "takes" on after-holiday decor.  Love reading what other people do, you have charming ideas and you've also given me some things to try out over the long, lingering winter!