Honored Contributor

ILLUMINATED SANDSTONE BIRD BY BARBARA KING

[ Edited ]

This is an update on my chubby bird saga, for other bird maniacs.  I'd ordered Valerie's set of 2 ceramic birds, only to get a defective, chipped one.  Returned for refund.

But, I'd always wanted to replace the plump, porcelain bisque bird I had from Kringle Express years ago.  It had that chubby, adorable self-satisfied quality I love in birds--

1d133e0ef13c4bd693ec5157cb732dfa.jpg

By the way, if anyone's interested, I noticed that that cute cardinal is available now on ebay.  But not the "partridge", which is what they called the other one.

Sooo....  after much looking, I thought the Barbara King sandstone one has a similar vibe to the Kringle Express one, and have just ordered it.  Fingers crossed, though, since I've heard from posters here that her illuminated items can be temperamental, sigh.  But it is an awfully cute bird!

canvas.png

M60534
Barbara King Illuminated Sandstone Animal Sculptures

The only other birds I'm currently drawn to (at QVC) are the standing set of two doves, which come in several finishes and that has that one with fluttering wings:

aedce695-0607-478c-8723-e804bb5a92e1.png

Esteemed Contributor

Re: ILLUMINATED SANDSTONE BIRD BY BARBARA KING

@Oznell  I'm disappointed for you receiving a defective bird!!  I also own the Kringle Express cardinal and the owl and I love them too!  They are still illuminating for me and it's been a few years for sure.  I like the Barbara King one that you purchased, it looks a lot like Valeries!!  Good luck with it, I know all of the things that light up can be temperamental for sure........we both have a real fondness for birds, enjoy themSmiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell 

I also love birds, real and imagined.  That’s something, like so many other likes, I have had to keep under control.  I have a very few bird-related decor items in my half-bath downstairs.  Includes a very small framed print, recreated in a Shaker-like style, of a mama bird and her three little tweets in a basket.  The script says “Never make promises to little children that you cannot fulfill according yo your word.”  I bought this years ago at Hancock Shaker Village.  I love all things Shaker.  But most of their designs don’t fit into my decor.  I wonder if the pair of birds in your last picture are still available.

Highlighted
Contributor

I have quite a few Barbara King sandstone. I love them. I have had no issues and all mine came from "As Is" her other items...I have had issue with almost every other item of hers.

Honored Contributor

I always feel such an affinity for other bird fanciers, love "bird people"-- thanks, gang, for your responses!

Yes, @PamfromCT, the standing dove figurines H215168 are available.  Their online listing does not have a video, but you can see them in the video for Valerie's antiqued ornate sleigh:

H216870
Antiqued Ornate Holiday Scroll Sleigh by Valerie

You have to watch till near the end of the video to see them.  They're included because they are part of the same collection as the sleigh, and have the same colors-- gold, antiqued white, or silver.  So pretty for Christmas, or any time.

Boy, agreed, I have to keep my bird thing under tight control too!  I like pheasants, owls, and have a midcentury brass swan dish.  I debated getting a chunky bird, but thought oh, gosh, life's too short.  And I've been good about continuously purging other decor that's not nearly as appealing or meaningful to me, so, I'm going for it!

H215168

2-Piece Standing Dove Figurines by Valerie
Honored Contributor

I meant to add, @LindaSal, that I think you were very lucky with your Kringle Express pieces.  And they are still going strong!   My bird from them, sweet as it was, stopped lighting up maybe a few months after purchase.  Simply would not work, no matter what batteries used.  Then I noticed some other reviewers complaining of the same thing.  So you obviously have "the magic touch" to be still enjoying yours!

@Mazie G, thanks for the report on your B.K. sandstone pieces-- gives me hope that I can keep my new illuminated bird going... 

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you, @Oznell.  As much as I love these birds, I have to give this some thought.  Where would I put them?  Culling this house is quite a challenge.  Want a laugh?  A few years back, I invited a lady to our home for the first time.  She did feel the need to contact her DH.  Her first words to him:  “Hi x, I’m calling you from an antique shop.”  I will check out the birds.  

Another laugh?  I have no interest in anyone’s replica sleds.  I have an original child’s sled, completely wood, runners and all, with a large wooden handle for pushing.  Old red paint I would never touch.  It’s in my dining room.  We bought it in Maine well over 40 years ago.  

Honored Contributor

Oh, vintage sleds, @PamfromCT --  lucky you.  I think that's one of the top, most "resonant" winter decorations.  They are such a treasure.  Just looking at them brings back joy and childhood glee!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell, As I think of you as the ultimate decorator, here’s something you may want to explore.  Last week DH and I were in Pottery Barn, and I bought something I could not

resist.  It’s a large and tall glass cloche, with a separate glass 

base.  Only $22.99 on sale!  How could I resist?  Would be perfect for an interesting branch, some greens, with a bird’s nest on the bottom.  I saw one in a gift shop in Litchfield (a very high end town in CT) for a fortune.  DH did ask, “Where are you going to put this?”  My answer, “I dunno.”  I can always give to DD or DIL, I guess.  Maybe you might want to check it out...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell   I bought about three sets of two of the chubby birds many years ago, can't remember who sold them, wasn't Barbara King, and if they are the same, and they look to be, they are beautiful, and big.  Mine are white or ivory.

I also have the birds in the last picture from Valerie in white or ivory with glitter.