Trusted Contributor

Re: I wonder what Christmas in July will look like

[ Edited ]

I cannot even think about that right now.

Occasional Contributor

I, too, am annoyed and frustrated with all the items being manufactured outside of this country.  But let us not forget, it was the decision of corporate America to send the manufacturing jobs outside, leaving our American workers jobless.  We should start manufacturing in our country again and not have to rely on outside sources - such as the PPE debacle recently.  Not everyone needs to or want to get a college degree.  Yes, we would have to pay a bit more for the items but that too can be handled if our workers don't demand sky high wages, pensions, etc.  Just saying . . . .

Respected Contributor

Reever--not I!

Esteemed Contributor

@Grade1Teach wrote:

Of course I am most concerned about what is going to be going on in our country in July and beyond, but Christmas in July will be a welcome distraction in my home.

I watch it every year and love it, whether I buy or not.  It brings me good feelings and excitement for my favorite time of the year.  I find myself longing for these good feelings right now.  I'm searching for a "safe" feeling and Christmas brings that to me.  Christmas in July will help that more than ever this year.

@Grade1Teach, my thoughtsHeartas well. I find myself looking forward to Christmas more than ever this year, so I will more than likely decorate a little earlier this year.  

Respected Contributor

@LIG1 wrote:

@Grade1Teach wrote:

Of course I am most concerned about what is going to be going on in our country in July and beyond, but Christmas in July will be a welcome distraction in my home.

I watch it every year and love it, whether I buy or not.  It brings me good feelings and excitement for my favorite time of the year.  I find myself longing for these good feelings right now.  I'm searching for a "safe" feeling and Christmas brings that to me.  Christmas in July will help that more than ever this year.

@Grade1Teach, my thoughtsHeartas well. I find myself looking forward to Christmas more than ever this year, so I will more than likely decorate a little earlier this year.  

I decorate the day afer Black Friday. I always look forwad to CIJ having done so for decades now.  Especially looking forward to seeing some of David Venable's inspired pieces.  He says he meets with the buyers a year ahead of time to select them.

Respected Contributor

Christmas in July 2020 kicks off on QVC all day, Sunday, June 28 and June 29 on QVC2.

Honored Contributor

@holidasia wrote:

I, too, am annoyed and frustrated with all the items being manufactured outside of this country.  But let us not forget, it was the decision of corporate America to send the manufacturing jobs outside, leaving our American workers jobless.  We should start manufacturing in our country again and not have to rely on outside sources - such as the PPE debacle recently.  Not everyone needs to or want to get a college degree.  Yes, we would have to pay a bit more for the items but that too can be handled if our workers don't demand sky high wages, pensions, etc.  Just saying . . . .

Actually, where manufacturing has left this country is more a product of the consumer's behavior (or at the very least equal to) than the corporations. If the American public had refused cheap foreign  imports many decades ago, if the American consumer had demanded (with their dollars) American made products even at a higher price, we wouldn't be in this position. If American consumers had placed quality and value over quantity in owning goods, we would still have more products manufactured here. 

Corporations can only sell cheaper overseas made goods if there is a market to buy them. The American consumer created the market and sustains it. 

And the American worker cannot allow what unions have done to American manufacturing. If they expect top wages and benefits, they have to give 100% to their jobs, not the kind of behavior we saw leading to the loss of so many jobs, like in the auto industry, where people's jobs were protected who don't even show up to do them.

Corporations aren't without blame, but are really a small piece of the problem. The power really lies in the hands of the consumer. It all revolves around money, and they get that from us and what we choose to buy.

Trusted Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@holidasia wrote:

Actually, where manufacturing has left this country is more a product of the consumer's behavior (or at the very least equal to) than the corporations. If the American public had refused cheap foreign  imports many decades ago, if the American consumer had demanded (with their dollars) American made products even at a higher price, we wouldn't be in this position. If American consumers had placed quality and value over quantity in owning goods, we would still have more products manufactured here. 

Corporations can only sell cheaper overseas made goods if there is a market to buy them. The American consumer created the market and sustains it. 

And the American worker cannot allow what unions have done to American manufacturing. If they expect top wages and benefits, they have to give 100% to their jobs, not the kind of behavior we saw leading to the loss of so many jobs, like in the auto industry, where people's jobs were protected who don't even show up to do them.

Corporations aren't without blame, but are really a small piece of the problem. The power really lies in the hands of the consumer. It all revolves around money, and they get that from us and what we choose to buy.

@Mominohio 

You always give such thoughtful responses and you are exactly right.  I might add that returning manufacturing jobs to the United States will not happen quickly. My concern is not so much over clothing or holiday decor. My concern is the pharmaceuticals and the technology. I think that we definitely need to resume the manufacture of those items in the USA. 

Honored Contributor

@Tennesseegal wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@holidasia wrote:

@Mominohio 

You always give such thoughtful responses and you are exactly right.  I might add that returning manufacturing jobs to the United States will not happen quickly. My concern is not so much over clothing or holiday decor. My concern is the pharmaceuticals and the technology. I think that we definitely need to resume the manufacture of those items in the USA. 

@Tennesseegal 

You are so right. There are many things we need brought back that hold so much more importance than clothing and holiday decor. I hope the recent virus and it's fallout has made clear to the people that really hold the power for making things like manufacturing PPE and pharmaceuticals  back here, exactly what now needs to be done, and that we are able to see it through to happening. 

I have to wonder though, if bringing back the less significant things because they might be easier to start up here, would be the beginning of a big wave of the bigger, more critical stuff. I'm one who really does understand how we let the clothing and the Christmas decor go overseas, but how did we let the really important stuff, like medical, and infrastructure things get aways from us.  (like I heard we don't manufacture most of what we need to keep the electric grid up and running!!!???)

We can only pray we have learned our lesson. I am skeptical that we have.