Super Contributor

I've never had Mercury Glass before...

But I bought the three graduated trees during CIJ.

Upon opening them, I found they had black specks on them. Asked about it on the item page, and got mixed messages. Customer Service, or someone, said they were meant to be like that, for the light to show through.  Others said theirs were perfect, no specks.

I don't intend to light them, just want to display them, and am afraid I'll find the specks off-putting. Am considering having them replaced, to see if I get some with no specks.

Haven't put them out yet, as I've just bought a new home and it's not ready for decorating yet.

Am considering the ASIS apothecary jar, and pedestals.

You here are so helpful, I thought I'd see if I could get a consensus opinion finally.

Thanks in advance!

Respected Contributor

Re: I've never had Mercury Glass before...

mercuryglass.jpg

it varies greatly.

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Respected Contributor

I would return them if the black specks bother you. Why keep something you don't really care for, even if they are meant to be there.

Super Contributor

@Janey2You are so right! I've had other things on my mind, to be honest, but I am considering returning them. But without the specks, I really like them, and would ask for replacement IF I thought I'd have a chance of getting some without "specks".

Trusted Contributor

They’re not black specks, they’re spots where there is no paint which allows the light to shine through.  Focus on one of those specks, then turn the light on.  You’ll see how the light comes through that “speck.”

Honored Contributor

They sound like they are fine.  Take a good look at the item picture and watch the video a couple times.

Honored Contributor

@summerwind wrote:

@Janey2You are so right! I've had other things on my mind, to be honest, but I am considering returning them. But without the specks, I really like them, and would ask for replacement IF I thought I'd have a chance of getting some without "specks".

@summerwind  The specks are there to let the light shine through when you turn them on. Without the specks you would not see the trees light up. Put some batteries in one of them to see for yourself Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@summerwind,  I love mecury glass.  I picked up a large wide candle holder, a decanter with etching on the glass and a crystal stopper, red and green ornaments at Pottery Barn on sale.  Pottery Barn has great after Christmas sales over 50% off some of the items.  Enjoy your mercury glass.  It's not only for Christmas.  I decided to leave out the large candle holder and it looks good with an off white battery operated candle.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Specks are inherent in mercury glass.  If you exchange them, chances are the replacement will have the same.  They're made to resemble old, antique glassware.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@summerwind  Mercury glass is really a very old artform. 'old your parents and g'parents are I bet they had some mercury glass christmas ornaments.

Anyway, you should google about this, it's an interesting read.