Respected Contributor

Re: I thought Christmas in July was....

I only watched Valerie's shows so I can't comment on the whole weekend.  I'm also on a strict budget this year, so that probably affects how I viewed the offerings as I thought many of them were too expensive for the quality.  I liked it better when everything was offered on one weekend.  I don't like it when it's strung out throughout the month.  

I also miss Lisa Robertson.  I swear that woman could sell me anything.  I still use the poinsettia plants that she offered two years in a row.  

The best show was the last one with Valerie and Jane.  All new items and no one droning on and on about old items for what seems like hours.

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@crazycockermom wrote:
This was my first CIJ. I might've bought a few things during last year's but I was late to the party and not really into it then. FF one year...

I bought quite a few things but nothing I'm super excited about. A lot of what I got I would consider basics - the cathedral mirrors, some garlands, picks and candle rings, the three white ceramic trees, the three gold trays (which I love that you can flip them either way).

I'm looking forward to getting the geese and the red truck. I got the Kringle Express large striped glittered ornaments which are fun. Always look forward to the annual JR eggs.

Honestly, I complain about it a lot, but I would've bought more if they cut us a deal on shipping. By the time I added everything to my cart and saw the total with shipping, I started removing things from my cart. A buy more save more on items you would likely buy 2+ of would've been an incentive too.

@Mominohio
Did you get the JS Santa? I wanted it but wished I got it when it was free shipping. So still thinking about it.

@crazycockermom

Those basics you talk about, are what I'm excited about these days.

For the most part, I have way more things that say 'Christmas' than I can use every year, but I'm really getting into things that lend themselves to Christmas decorating (lanterns, candles, certain garlands, that great mirror you bought etc.) but can be carried out through the rest of winter or all year with just some creative changes. So I did see a lot of strictly 'Christmas' things that I liked and didn't buy, but was getting more excited about those basics.

I hear you on the shipping. After free shipping day, it was hard to buy things yesterday. Especially when I wanted multiples. Many orders were cancelled by me, when I considered how much shipping was involved.

The one thing I did heavily invest in is the Luminara frosted hurricane candles in gold and ivory. Got both sizes in both colors  and it came to almost $170 for four candles. The kicker is that $22 of that was shipping. 

So when I saw that, it caused me to pass on ordering a lot of other things. I know much of what they said was sold out during presentations, was popping back into inventory at the end of the day, and over night, as others realized just how much they were spending as well. 

h210179.003 (2000×1778)this is the candle in gold, and I can't pull up a good picture of the ivory. These look very substantial, and I bought the ones similar to this year before last that were done in kind of a mercury glass hurricane/holder. They are some of the best Luminara I have. Because of the glass container, you don't see the fake flame, and they light well down into the jar, and look so totally real. I have high hopes for these as well. I have a number of candle rings that will look good at the base of these, and should be able to get all winter with them (all year on the ivory ones for me to).

Ooh, I didn't see the Luminara hurricanes.  Will have to check them out.  I like that they can be used year round, as we've discussed.  Please post your thoughts when you get them! 

I wonder if QVC realizes that some will not buy/cancel their orders because of the shipping costs...guess it doesn't matter as long as some still buy.  But I honestly would have purchased more.  Oh well.  Money saved.  

Super Contributor

Lisa Robertson was selling Christmas on her FB this weekend! 

Valued Contributor

My Christmas may be sparse this year, so I bought some Lenox ornaments to give as gifts to friends. A small memento from me. I didn't see too much else I wanted for me as I have enough decorations now.

Respected Contributor

I thought it was great!  I purchased the bronze deer from Jill's show las evening.  I loved Valerie Parr Hill's shows.  I purchased two of her ivy Angels and two of the cardinal ivy trees and I ordered extra sets of her wonderful window lights.  I usually don't shop CIJ but I am changing my decor this Christmas.  I've already cleaned out most of my older things I no longer use.  I swore I wasn't going to buy anything but I just couldn't resist.  I thought most of the shows were nicely done. 

Esteemed Contributor

I thught it was much better than last year. I don't know if that says something about changes at QVC or changes in me??? I wish I had more people to buy for.

Trusted Contributor

I agree, @Mominohio!  I thought (for the most part) that it was great!  I bought A LOT ~ all but one of my orders were items of Valerie's.  The one that wasn't was a set of two boxwood fairy lights by Kringle Express.  The items I purchased can be used all winter long, which is what I was aiming for.  The selection was great, something for everyone.  I was actually excited and really looked forward to Valerie's shows, and was a little bummed when it was all over.  I just read on her facebook page that (as you already know) she is back on 7/25 & 7/31, then on 8/8 she will be back with a harvest show!   

Respected Contributor

I enjoyed it and thought t was interesting but I could have done without the Gift Bags as a Special Value. Surely something more interesting could have been featured.

Super Contributor

Very nice this year!  I am on the committee for a weekend long event for our town, which inconveniently landed on Christmas in July! LOL... bout I managed to check in online. I purchased the large nutcracker in the metallic,  Valerie's bejeweled trees in blush ( I just thought those were beautiful!). Valerie's reindeer in both colors (I will probably gift one set or maybe both), as well as the vintage wreath and two matching garlands in the rose and taupe tones featured in Jill's show. I purchased two of the small trees from that collection last year and I love the colors for my entryway, which is neutral...so I decided to add a few more pieces while still available.

I am waiting on the trumpeting angels from Valerie later this month.

Earlier in the month, I purchased the amber BL fairy lights for autumn. I definitely purchased more than I anticipated... but the offerings were very nice this year, and I may use some at the events I direct or give others as gifts. 

Hope everyone enjoyed the shows and that those who purchased enjoy their treasures!

Regular Contributor

This is the first year I've bought NOTHING from CIJ. I guess I am in the minority but I just didn't like much this year. Guess I'll be shopping later in the season now.