Esteemed Contributor

I'm done with seasonal decorating

I'm tired of changing things inside with the seasons.  Tired of storing it, tired of moving some in and moving some out.  Inside there will be a tree at Christmas...and I think that may be it.  I don't want to do different bows, different garlands, different anything.  I want classic 11 out of 12 months.  There are other things I want to do with my time.  And I want less stuff!

Thanks for listening. Woman Happy

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

Re: I'm done with seasonal decorating

[ Edited ]

@esmerelda wrote:

I'm tired of changing things inside with the seasons.  Tired of storing it, tired of moving some in and moving some out.  Inside there will be a tree at Christmas...and I think that may be it.  I don't want to do different bows, different garlands, different anything.  I want classic 11 out of 12 months.  There are other things I want to do with my time.  And I want less stuff!

@esmerelda  There is no right or wrong - good or bad. Decorating is what each individual makes of it varying both ends of the spectrum and everything inbetween...from not at all, just a tree or wreath all the way up to 'over the top'.

Lots of it is due to change of lifestyle, age, finances, health, change of taste...could be anything. 

I think I'm in the middle of the spectrum. I only decorate 2 rooms (kitchen & livingroom), our front door and a small lighted tree topper wreath on one of our livingroom windows.

Just do what makes you happy Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I never did decorate for every season, had to work and really it was not important to my family. Of course, we always had some kind of Christmas tree, but after my son didn't believe in Santa any more, he didn't care about the tree either.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@esmerelda wrote:

Pretty much there with you. Other than minor changes in throws, pillows, and a very few decorative obects, I don't decorate 'seasonally' anyway, other than for autumn and Christmas... I've never been one who wanted to turn my home into the holiday of the moment... Even so, I've scaled way back for even the fall and Christmas seasons... Each to their own, but some of the homes I see just look so overdone as to be borderline garish and clearly, some cross that line... I have my tree, a wreath and a few seasonal items sitting out and that's enough... I will sometimes dress up every day items to make them more festive but gone are the days of setting out the endless Christmas 'collections'...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

I'm getting to the point where you are, but not quite there yet.

Growing up we never did too much beyond a wreath on the front door, a tree, and a few other decorative touches....not too much though.

Fast forward to when I had my own home in the eighties, and gradually I started doing more and more.  More than one tree, lots of garlands, etc., etc.  Lots of outdoor decorations.  It became the thing to do.

Now I'm 71 and still doing a ton.  I love seeing it, but it's so much work and since time is going ever faster, it seems like I just did all this 3 months ago, not 12 months ago. 

I just got done with decorating the outside, and that took me three days. 

I want to stop, or really just streamline it, but I now have all this stuff and I'm in the habit of doing it.  Also, I know at my age, I won't be doing all this for too much longer, so I like to maintain the tradition for as long as I can.

It's a dilemma for me.

Honored Contributor

I’m with you. It’s overwhelming and I don’t like the extra clutter. We do Christmas up but other than a seasonal wreath on the front door is all I’ll do now. Definitely no right or wrong way! 

Respected Contributor

I decorate the house for Christmas and that is it.  I have never decorated for every season.  I generally change out the wreath on the front and back doors and that is it.  When Christmas is over and everything is down and stored away, I am finished until the next year.  Some people decorate indoor and outdoor for every season.  I'm just not one of them. 

Esteemed Contributor

I'm with the OP - a lot of work and fuss for one day although the 'season' is a little longer.  Hate the vacant look of the home after all the decorations are packed away.  I'm over all of it except.........the real meaning of Christmas.  A few gift giving - wreath on door - DONE

Esteemed Contributor

I love to decorate and I change out curtains in the kitchen and dining area, runners and placemats and then I add decorations for each holiday. I haven’t been able to find a burgundy or cranberry solid curtain for living room. I want to use it for Christmas through Valentines. But I’ve cut back a lot. 

But I also agree no right or wrong. 

Honored Contributor

I cut back some more every year. I have packed up and given away a huge car trunk full of Christmas items this year (still have a lot to do what I want with though), a couple years ago I gave away all my Fall decor. Those were the only seasons I decorated for anyway, now it's just Christmas. I still love it, but can see in a few more years I will most likely not be doing much by way of decorating. We all have to do what is right for us.
"To each their own, in all things".