Esteemed Contributor

Re: I know that CIJ is over but saw this and had to share

[ Edited ]

@LolaLasagne wrote:

@hellodali wrote:

@LolaLasagne

Okay, here goes -- I do not consider a beautiful setting like that to be "low brow".  However, I do consider your remark to someone you don't know to be low life. 

If you can't say something nice, please don't say anything at all.

@hellodali To refer to another human being as a low life, because they don't agree with the style depicted in a photo someone posted (which was not a photo from that person's home) is really indicative of a greater problem we are having these days. To follow it up by saying "if you can't say something nice, please don't say anything at all" is part of that problem. What I'm talking about is the harsh way that humans are jumping on humans who disagree with them with such anger and cruelty, and their inability to recognize their own hypocrisy in the process of that admonishment.

LADIES, this is a HOLIDAY chat board which should be a safe place to express an opinion without this kind of behavior. I've been here for 5 minutes and been called "uptight," "snob," "low life," all because I found a random photograph posted from the internet distasteful. It is ironic how my judgement of a random photo is unacceptable, but all of your cruel insults toward me, a human being, feel perfectly normal and acceptable to you.

@LolaLasagne

I don't think it was kind for others to insult you here the way they did, but it appears that you don't understand the definition of hypocrisy. Your original post was not just an expression of opinion—it was derogatory and contained mean-spirited judgments against others. In addition, you implied that you were taking the high road in later posts when what you were actually doing was setting up a channel for further critical commentary.

If you had simply noted that the original photo was not your style, or if you had just ignored this whole thread and moved on with your day when you discovered the topic was not to your liking, you could have avoided a lot of frustration and negativity.

Honored Contributor

@loriqvc wrote:

@LolaLasagne wrote:

@hellodali wrote:

@LolaLasagne

Okay, here goes -- I do not consider a beautiful setting like that to be "low brow".  However, I do consider your remark to someone you don't know to be low life. 

@hellodali To refer to another human being as a low life, because they don't agree with the style depicted in a photo someone posted (which was not a photo from that person's home) is really indicative of a greater problem we are having these days. To follow it up by saying "if you can't say something nice, please don't say anything at all" is part of that problem. What I'm talking about is the harsh way that humans are jumping on humans who disagree with them with such anger and cruelty, and their inability to recognize their own hypocrisy in the process of that admonishment.

LADIES, this is a HOLIDAY chat board which should be a safe place to express an opinion without this kind of behavior. I've been here for 5 minutes and been called "uptight," "snob," "low life," all because I found a random photograph posted from the internet distasteful. It is ironic how my judgement of a random photo is unacceptable, but all of your cruel insults toward me, a human being, feel perfectly normal and acceptable to you.

@LolaLasagne

I don't think it was kind for others to insult you here the way they did, but it appears that you don't understand the definition of hypocrisy. Your original post was not just an expression of opinion—it was derogatory and contained mean-spirited judgments against others. In addition, you implied that you were taking the high road in later posts when what you were actually doing was setting up a channel for further critical commentary.

If you had simply noted that the original photo was not your style, or if you had just ignored this whole thread and moved on with your day when you discovered the topic was not to your liking, you could have avoided a lot of frustration and negativity.

Except this poster is looking for frustration and negativity. 

I highly suspect this is the return of a particular poster who has been banned more than once in the past. The signs and the attacks are the same. It is a game 'she' plays, I guess because 'she' has nothing better to do.

Many people will let it pass as the post count makes it appear to be a 'new' poser, but trolls are trolls and while it is best not to feed them, I for one refuse to let someone come to what is virtually the kindest forum on these boards, and be rude, baiting and disruptive, without calling it out at least once. Obviously others felt the same.

These kinds of poster aren't about a differing opinion. They tend to latch on to being disruptive, but in the past, gets them banned repeatedly. Somehow they always make their way back, new nic, but same old game. 

So on the (very) off chance this isn't the same poster 'reinvented', I think it was necessary for others to let this person know that this isn't how we roll here.

Harsh. That all started with ms. Lasagne's first post. And another poster calling 'her' behavior low life is actually spot on, considering the first post and it's true intent and actual words. 

There is sharing opinions and then there is being inflammatory and looking for discord. 

I think we all know which this was and how it was all intended. 

Enough said.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio

@LolaLasagne,

FWIW-- If what has been suggested about Lola's posting history is true, then I would like to say that I have greatly enjoyed decorating pics, ideas, and chatting with both of you over the past few years. 

Whatever it is that has caused the discord, perhaps originating on other forums or other boards, is it possible to set it aside when posting here?

If the poster ID claim is wrong, then @LolaLasagne, you will have no idea to what I'm referring, and I apologize for the confusion. 

Honored Contributor

@SHOPR wrote:

@Mominohio

@LolaLasagne,

FWIW-- If what has been suggested about Lola's posting history is true, then I would like to say that I have greatly enjoyed decorating pics, ideas, and chatting with both of you over the past few years. 

Whatever it is that has caused the discord, perhaps originating on other forums or other boards, is it possible to set it aside when posting here?

If the poster ID claim is wrong, then @LolaLasagne, you will have no idea to what I'm referring, and I apologize for the confusion. 

@SHOPR

I of course can't be sure of what I suspect, but I'm tired of being stalked on these forums by that one particular poster. And the original post made by this new poster really smacks of the person to which I refer. That past offender has come back over an over under different nics, and gets banned again and again, as what starts out in picking on one or two people, following them from thread to thread and forum to forum turns quite ridiculous and out of control until gone. I quite frankly am sick of it. As I resorted to the last time, I will no longer respond to that poster. But I was not going to let either a totally new person be so out of line or the repeat poster think I didn't know who they were. 

I notice that so far, there has been no denial about being here under another nic. Regardless, I have no intention of recognizing the 'new' poster or responding to them in any fashion, so we'll just sit back and see how long till the ban happens again.

I enjoy this particular forum (and home) more than the others and will not let anyone else ruin it for me or for others if I can help it.

Valued Contributor

@Mominohio  

I like your idea, and I like decorating in this style. It's very warm and welcoming. It reminds me of the Christmases of my youth.

@LolaLasagne wrote:

This look doesn't work for me, because I believe that using items like musical instruments as decorations is low brow. My neighbors had a dinner party right after they purchased a grand piano. While a bunch of us were sitting around the dinner table, someone said, "which one of you plays?" They said that neither of them did, but they just got it to fill the space. It was one of the most awkward moments of silence I've ever experienced. It's like displaying books you haven't read, surf boards you've never ridden, or a basketball when you've never played the game. Nope.

@LolaLasagne

What about someone who displays ice skates or sleds, and has never skated or ridden on a sled?  Or what about someone who displays snowmen figurines, but who has never built a snowman? These items are examples of holiday decor, that represent Christmas, or the winter season. Using your logic, only people with personal experience with these items, should ever display them.  No one is trying to mislead anyone about our experiences. We display them because it's fun, and to make our homes look pretty and festive. 

Contributor

@loriqvc wrote:

@LolaLasagne wrote:

@hellodali wrote:

@LolaLasagne

@LolaLasagne

@loriqvc I do understand the definition of hypcrisy, and it would include a poster calling me a low life in one sentence then going on to say if you don't have something nice to say, then don't say anything at all. And as far as your comment goes about "setting up a channel for critical commentary," where are your comments to the other posters about moving on with THEIR days instead of responding to something they saw that THEY don't like? I guess the newbie is the fun target.

I would direct you to a number of posts in the HOME forum wherein a lovely person named lolakimono has created several posts which begin with the posting of a random photo followed by several responses with posters giving opinions. Regardless of whether or not the responders liked what they saw, most responded in a dignified manner. However, I also read the most uncouth and uneducated insults about items as benign as a sofa or a lighting fixture. 

The fact is that many people on these chat boards do not present themselves in a very dignified fashion. It is quite eye-opening and explains why I was attacked here with uncivilivzed insults and name-calling. My post was not "deragatory" nor contained "mean-spirited judgements" toward anyone of this chat board. It contained an opinion and a personal story about an awkward incident which was used to reinforce the idea that items which are supposed to be functional, not decorative, should not be used for decorative purposes unless the owner can also use the item for its intended function.

Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@SHOPR wrote:

@Mominohio

@LolaLasagne,

@SHOPR

I of course can't be sure of what I suspect, but I'm tired of being stalked on these forums by that one particular poster. And the original post made by this new poster really smacks of the person to which I refer. That past offender has come back over an over under different nics, and gets banned again and again, as what starts out in picking on one or two people, following them from thread to thread and forum to forum turns quite ridiculous and out of control until gone. I quite frankly am sick of it. As I resorted to the last time, I will no longer respond to that poster. But I was not going to let either a totally new person be so out of line or the repeat poster think I didn't know who they were. 

I notice that so far, there has been no denial about being here under another nic. Regardless, I have no intention of recognizing the 'new' poster or responding to them in any fashion, so we'll just sit back and see how long till the ban happens again.

I enjoy this particular forum (and home) more than the others and will not let anyone else ruin it for me or for others if I can help it.

@Mominohio This is really what you do with your days? You just spent about 10,000 words over 2 posts to "highly suspect" that I'm some ghost from the past here to haunt and stalk you? Geez, I feel so lucky to only have a few minutes out of my busy day to visit here.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LolaLasagne - If you can't see that your initial post was derogatory and dismissive (and that your posts continue to follow this path) in contrast to the respectful sharing of opinions that typically takes place in these forums, then there's not much more I can say or do to try to defend you. I will have no more comments related to your posts.

Respected Contributor

@loriqvc wrote:

@LolaLasagne - If you can't see that your initial post was derogatory and dismissive (and that your posts continue to follow this path) in contrast to the respectful sharing of opinions that typically takes place in these forums, then there's not much more I can say or do to try to defend you. I will have no more comments related to your posts.

@loriqvc

After @Mominohio last wrote, I was going to totally ignore anything else and just move on with my life.  However, your post is so well written and sums up the situation so beautifully that I feel I must state that and say thank you for writing it.  I too will have no more comments related to LL's posts.

Frequent Contributor

I love it and I think I'll replicate it in my home! I'm always looking for new ideas and have some decorations that are older than I am. I always use  those first, but I'll try anything at least once. This look will be my something new this year. Thank you for sharing!