Contributor

Re: I know that CIJ is over but saw this and had to share

@Mominohio wrote:

@LolaLasagne wrote:

This look doesn't work for me, because I believe that using items like musical instruments as decorations is low brow. My neighbors had a dinner party right after they purchased a grand piano. While a bunch of us were sitting around the dinner table, someone said, "which one of you plays?" They said that neither of them did, but they just got it to fill the space. It was one of the most awkward moments of silence I've ever experienced. It's like displaying books you haven't read, surf boards you've never ridden, or a basketball when you've never played the game. Nope.

Little uptight for a new poster aren't you? 

Got a feeling this is that same banned person, back to play again. 

So did you dip the candles you display, or build the coffee table and upholster the sofa? Probably not.

Glad I don't hang with your gang (wouldn't based on this behavior). Bunch of snobs who think that was 'the most awkward moment'. They need a life.

Thinking that it is low brow to purchase a musical instrument which you cannot play or have no intention of learning to play just for decorative purposes does not make me a snob. It makes me have common sense and class. Since you seem so interested in insults, perhaps you should come up with one for an individual who spends her days insulting newcomers on a chat board. Being a good, Christian woman, I will not lower myself to speak such words.

Honored Contributor

@LolaLasagne wrote:

This look doesn't work for me, because I believe that using items like musical instruments as decorations is low brow. My neighbors had a dinner party right after they purchased a grand piano. While a bunch of us were sitting around the dinner table, someone said, "which one of you plays?" They said that neither of them did, but they just got it to fill the space. It was one of the most awkward moments of silence I've ever experienced. It's like displaying books you haven't read, surf boards you've never ridden, or a basketball when you've never played the game. Nope.

@LolaLasagne Interesting perspective.  I'm glad my family & friends are more relaxed and just want to enjoy life and each other's company when visiting.  Life is too short to get hung up about silly things.

I happen to have a piano but no one plays....it was in the house my parents bought back in 1963.  I took lessons but never was serious about it. When they sold their home in the late 1980s I inherited it.   Today if someone asks who plays I would have to admit that no one does but I can't imagine any awkward silence...why would that be? 

However it's a nice piece of furniture to display family photos and holiday cards...speaking of which I get Christmas cards but I'm not a Christian woman but that's okay too.

Respected Contributor

@LolaLasagne

Okay, here goes -- I do not consider a beautiful setting like that to be "low brow".  However, I do consider your remark to someone you don't know to be low life. 

If you can't say something nice, please don't say anything at all.

@Mominohio

If you do put something like that together, please take a picture for all of us.

We have a very old violin shoved in one of our closets.  It does say Stradivarius on it; however, my husband says a lot of old violins also have that name on them.  I may have to find it and see what I can do.  I love that look too. 

Honored Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

That's a great pic/display! In our small home, there is no room for an extra chair. Last year I did a mini version of the sheet music 'look' though, printing off vintage sheet music and putting them in jars.

P4480722.JPG

P4480735.JPG

@Susan Louise

These are beautiful! Very creative too!

Esteemed Contributor

First of all, @Mominohio a very pretty vignette! My grandkids would want to try it out, so maybe not happening here. Haha! 

Next: 

@LolaLasagne wrote:

@LolaLasagne we may be looking at a false equivalency here. @Mominohio is just talking about a seasonal decoration. She's not pretending to play the violin, even though she may - I don't know. We display old German language, American printed books that my husband collects. He doesn't pretend to have read them. They are old German. Many of us display lanterns at the holidays. I don't think that we actually use those lanterns to find our ways to bed or to feed the horses. The piano you speak of is used as a permanent piece of furniture, giving the impression that someone plays. But personally, I'd rather see a piano than something useless. Maybe the occasional visitor will be able to play. I hope they keep it tuned.

Respected Contributor

@GingerPeachCharming.  That is Exactly the word I was looking for!  I also could imagine it being some family member or friend who brought along their fiddle for that homes holiday gathering, enjoying some parlor game or other between dances.  Now I want a party!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

First of all, @Mominohio a very pretty vignette! My grandkids would want to try it out, so maybe not happening here. Haha! 

Next: 

@LolaLasagne wrote:

@LolaLasagne we may be looking at a false equivalency here. @Mominohio is just talking about a seasonal decoration. She's not pretending to play the violin, even though she may - I don't know. We display old German language, American printed books that my husband collects. He doesn't pretend to have read them. They are old German. Many of us display lanterns at the holidays. I don't think that we actually use those lanterns to find our ways to bed or to feed the horses. The piano you speak of is used as a permanent piece of furniture, giving the impression that someone plays. But personally, I'd rather see a piano than something useless. Maybe the occasional visitor will be able to play. I hope they keep it tuned.

I think most of understand the display is a vignette, and not intended to fool anyone into believing a false ability to play an instrument.

It's about decorating, not living a pretend lifestyle.

ETA:  I just noticed I repeated your word, @PA Mom-mom

@PA Mom-mom

@Mominohio

@LolaLasagne

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

@GingerPeach Yes! In fact, it's a great vignette! When I saw @Mominohios post, my mind went to Dickens' A Christmas Carol - especially the Christmas past part. Remember?

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@GingerPeach Yes! In fact, it's a great vignette! When I saw @Mominohios post, my mind went to Dickens' A Christmas Carol - especially the Christmas past part. Remember?

Yes, I do, @PA Mom-mom.  I think that's what made me think of a caroler either just setting out or just coming home.

At their best, vignettes tell a story.  I love stories, so I'm a huge fan of vignettes in decor.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio This look was sort of popular a while back. I got an already decorated faux violin, I think it was at Michaels or the now defunct Franksand used it for several years, then took off the original decorations, added a few of my own and used it for a few more years. No idea where it is now...

I see Wayfair is offering a few vintage looking violins that might work and I'm sure others are too.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...