Honored Contributor

I know it is only early May but….

[ Edited ]

I have made quite a dent in my Christmas shopping.  Be gentle.  This is the Holiday forum, LOL.

I have 4 friends that I exchange with.  I found something I really liked on Etsy and ordered it for each friend and my sister.  

I also took advantage of Macys recent family and friends sale, coupled with a hefty 15% cash back from Rakuten and ordered some things for upcoming birthdays for 2 friends, my sister for her birthday and another friend to finish her Christmas.

Found a few small other things I liked elsewhere for add on gifts and bought those and my 4 friends are completely done.  My sister has been started.  

My brother in law is easy.  I'll take care of him in early December.  I wait for lists from my sister's adult children (3) and my 9 year old grandson.  But overall, I will be cutting back financially this year, while still giving nice (I think) gifts. 

With talks of possible worldwide recession later this year, I really put my mind to making decisions and taking advantage of sales and that hefty Macy's cash back from Rakuten.  

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

Re: I know it is only early May but….

@gidgetgh   Each year, except for my grandchildren I have much less need to buy Christmas presents.  But there are still a few.  

I always shopped ahead so I could enjjoy the season itself without the last minute "gotta get something" harried shopping.  Often I would be finished for Christmas by Halloween.

I, too, have been taking advantage of the wonderful sales and Rakuten cash back opportunities at Macy's for gifts (Christmas and otherwise) and for myself.

So, you'll get no "tsk, tsks" from me!

Best,

aroc3435

Washington, DC 

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@gidgetgh   Each year, except for my grandchildren I have much less need to buy Christmas presents.  But there are still a few.  

I always shopped ahead so I could enjjoy the season itself without the last minute "gotta get something" harried shopping.  Often I would be finished for Christmas by Halloween.

I, too, have been taking advantage of the wonderful sales and Rakuten cash back opportunities at Macy's for gifts (Christmas and otherwise) and for myself.

So, you'll get no "tsk, tsks" from me!

Best,

aroc3435

Washington, DC 

@aroc3435 - over the last few years, I've pared down the list of people I give to but I still enjoy shopping for Christmas and giving some gifts.  I have been exchanging gifts with my 2 best friends since we were 14 years old.  I plan to continue that till the end.  But I have definitely trimmed the list since 2020.  My cleaning ladies will get a token gift and cash and I give cash to the trash collectors because they work in horrible conditions and provide a vital service. 

Glad to see you took advantage of the Macys sale and cash back also.  That was a great deal.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

Plan to cut back more than last yr. Will likely buy some  non perishable food  items tor frozen meats to give out in baskets this Christmas  or give money .

Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh  I'm just starting to look and think about gifts. I don't buy as many as I used to but I really enjoy thinking about each gift. I mostly enjoy not being in a super rush during December.

Respected Contributor

I think it is a great idea to do shopping year round.  For Christmas or birthdays, etc.  

I have seven grands now and I always look for toys on sale or clearanced out.  I already have three great gifts for the little girls.  Two nice Barbie sets and then a Leap Frog cash register play food set.  My Walmart is a smaller store and they tend to clearance out items more often as they do not have room for excess.  Found a couple of cool PlayDoh sets too.  

I exchange gifts with two of my oldest and dearest friends from high school.  If I see something that would work for either of them, I get it.

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Trusted Contributor

As I age my list grows shorter and shorter every year. My Daughter and Son in law are over the gift thing and would rather just spend time with people.  Having lost my husband 18 months ago I agree, Time is the most precious thing to give.  

I have no little ones to buy for which is too bad because those are always the most fun.  If I see something special that I think a particular person would love, then I buy but other than that, I am a big card sender.  Sending cards makes me happy so thats what I do.

Congrats on getting a lot done, it does take the pressure off for sure.

Esteemed Contributor

I think it's a great idea to shop early.  I have always done that as I also like to enjoy  the season and not be stressed.  Though I don't have that many people to buy for as I have toned my list way down too.   I do enjoy buying a gift when I see something I know a certain person would love.  It's more fun that way and I am actually done for 2022 with all the after Christmas sales, I started very early .  Saved a bundle, the only thing I will wait on is the gift cards, I'll buy those in November.  Good going @gidgetgh Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Buying when things are at their lowest price is a good practice.  I've always kept an eye out for good gifts throughout the year.  Like many of you, my gift list has dwindled significantly as the children on my list have grown older.  Other than a few stocking stuffer items for my parents, I mostly give live wreaths to the families on my list.  They can enjoy them for the holiday season, then compost or discard them.  

I was so disappointed with the shipping situation on Valerie's wreaths last year.  Even though I purchased them all during CIJ, I still ended up having to buy from a different vendor at the last minute because not all the wreaths I ordered actually shipped.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gidgetgh and everyone,

I think you are doing the right thing! I too have started and Macy's  and Kohls have been a big help with coupons and other incentives!

Thumbs Up Emoticon - Beautiful Emoji Queen Duvet, transparent png download