Honored Contributor

Re: I just couldn't resist

[ Edited ]

My first ever date with my DH was tobogganing. We were in junior high.My Mom made us a thermos of hot cocoa to take with us.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@Azcowgirl wrote:

I don’t think you’re ever too old....I was looking at my old sled up in the attic and thinking I’d bring it down and hang a swag, a plaid ribbon,  and my daddy’s old skates on it 😊

I have two old sleds from when I was a kid, and many winters I do just that. I put them out on my covered front porch, and put a wreath or skates on the corner. Nice decor and sentimental as well!

I love the idea of decorating with old sleds and skates.  We have my husband's old sled from when he was a kid.  It just stands, leaning against a wall, in our family room.  After his mother passed, I acquired her old skates and storage box.  I was excited about the idea of decorating the sled with the skates and some other objects for Christmas, then realized they were ROLLER skates.  Hahaha  Sometimes I'm a doofus. I'm still glad to have to skates, but wish they were ice skates.  Does anyone here decorate with roller skates in any way?

Honored Contributor

@Citrine1 wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@Azcowgirl wrote:

I don’t think you’re ever too old....I was looking at my old sled up in the attic and thinking I’d bring it down and hang a swag, a plaid ribbon,  and my daddy’s old skates on it 😊

I have two old sleds from when I was a kid, and many winters I do just that. I put them out on my covered front porch, and put a wreath or skates on the corner. Nice decor and sentimental as well!

I love the idea of decorating with old sleds and skates.  We have my husband's old sled from when he was a kid.  It just stands, leaning against a wall, in our family room.  After his mother passed, I acquired her old skates and storage box.  I was excited about the idea of decorating the sled with the skates and some other objects for Christmas, then realized they were ROLLER skates.  Hahaha  Sometimes I'm a doofus. I'm still glad to have to skates, but wish they were ice skates.  Does anyone here decorate with roller skates in any way?

@Citrine1

Roller skates! Ha that got me laughing. 

Depends on where you live, but ice skates might not work in warmer climates and the roller skates would be more appropriate anyway! LOL Would make a real converstaion piece to put them together! 

Esteemed Contributor

I'm in Philadelphia @Mominohio; gets plenty cold here!  I could probably just leave her skates on display by themselves, tucked in a corner somewhere.  Would love to think of a clever way to display them though.  

Respected Contributor

Beautiful, heartwarming pictures!  We never had all that space growing up.  But it was a different time.  There were more kids around and we'd All be out sledding down the street.  We'd put lookouts at either end and stop the cars that wanted to come up the hill if one of us kids was on a run.   The drivers were always patient with us and we'd clear out for them as soon as we could. of course there were a lot fewer cars per family in those days.  It Really was a most pleasant time to be a kid.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

07dd36411606 Szasz Endre Laszlo

Sweet, heart warming, and just a little tear producing. We used to sled ride all the time as kids. I guess you are never too old.

@Mominohio  Did you buy them re resist, or couldn't resist posting?  They are wonderful.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

07dd36411606 Szasz Endre Laszlo

Sweet, heart warming, and just a little tear producing. We used to sled ride all the time as kids. I guess you are never too old.

@Mominohio  Did you buy them re resist, or couldn't resist posting?  They are wonderful.

I just found them online and posted them here! I might buy them if I could! LOL

@mousiegirl

Honored Contributor

This and the other prints you posted  brought back memories of my next door neighbor George (and his wife) when I first moved here.  He was a wonderful & kind gentlemen with many amazing stories of his childhood, war & more.

One day they invited over because he loved baseball & needed my husband to "help" him use the cable remote  -- first thing I noticed was framed pictures of the covers of LIFE magazine done by Norman Rockwell.  Many of them depicted a simpler way of life -- going to the mailbox, sledding, mom in the kitchen w/kids, etc.

I was shocked when he told me HE and his brothers were the kids in most of the pictures and in a few was the home they grew up in.

I've always liked Rockwell prints & when he passed his wife gifted us a coffee table book with Rockwell prints with them in some of them, I think the boy in the drs. office was his youngest brother.

Thanks for sharing -- we used to spend hours on our Flexible flyer sleds and ice skating on all the ponds!  Wouldn't trade those wonderful times for all the tea in China as my grandmom used to say!

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

This and the other prints you posted  brought back memories of my next door neighbor George (and his wife) when I first moved here.  He was a wonderful & kind gentlemen with many amazing stories of his childhood, war & more.

One day they invited over because he loved baseball & needed my husband to "help" him use the cable remote  -- first thing I noticed was framed pictures of the covers of LIFE magazine done by Norman Rockwell.  Many of them depicted a simpler way of life -- going to the mailbox, sledding, mom in the kitchen w/kids, etc.

I was shocked when he told me HE and his brothers were the kids in most of the pictures and in a few was the home they grew up in.

I've always liked Rockwell prints & when he passed his wife gifted us a coffee table book with Rockwell prints with them in some of them, I think the boy in the drs. office was his youngest brother.

Thanks for sharing -- we used to spend hours on our Flexible flyer sleds and ice skating on all the ponds!  Wouldn't trade those wonderful times for all the tea in China as my grandmom used to say!

@homedecor1

What a wonderful story about your neighbor, and how cool is that!?

It's amazing what people's stories are, isn't it!

Honored Contributor

@Citrine1 wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@Azcowgirl wrote:

I also have an old wooden sled...a Flexible Flyer that I dug out of the garage about three years ago and started to used for holiday decorating.  I stand it up next to my front door and we have a small tree in an urn like planter that we light up.  I add a plaid bow on the sled and this year I plan on adding one of the TSV lanterns from last week next to the tree & sled.

I don't have old roller skates but have my mother's old ice skates.  (I just have to find them!)  She used to work at Macy's as a salesgirl before she was married and would occasionally skate at the rink in nearby Rockefeller Center.