Honored Contributor

Re: I don't want to send some of you into shock.....

I no longer collect ornaments and if I have time to sort them, I'm donating what I have left now as I have pared down the last two years.  My tree is simple now with all ornaments of one color,  garland and maybe either some bows or pointsettias.    I bought one Valerie item last year (a gold tree about 24 inches in height and it is plain and you cannot decorate it) and this year one of the cylinders that came with the small lights so I can use that before and after the holidays.   Not adding to the Christmas decor any more, but rotate what I already have.  

Honored Contributor

It doesn't have to be a struggle, it shouldn't be a struggle.  Just do what you feel like doing.  There are no rules about Christmas decorating; there is no right or wrong.  It's supposed to be fun.  So do whatever you feel like doing in any particular year.  Some years, I go all out.  It's decorator city here.  Other years, I don't do as much.  I depends on ho busy I am, how I feel and how much entertaing we are going to do.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@DREAMON wrote:

Our 9' tree had flocking that turned a yellow color so it it has been put to rest.

I decided to get a 7 1/2' tree so it would be easier to handle. I also have a 5' tree in front of a picture window in my bedroom that faces the street. I love that 5' and it is easy to put up... I just do picks and lights on that one. 

Back to the thought of me getting the 7 1/2 ' tree...it went over like a lead balloon. My husband said my family would be disappointed (I think he meant himself), my daughter and grandkids said it would just not be the same with a smaller tree and that I was changing tradition. My son said he thought we were getting a 12' tree because that is the size that would look  best in out room with 18' ceilings. 

Yesterday we bought another 9' tree and a tall snowman hat for a topper which makes the tree 12' tall....everybody won but me...the one who does all the decorating. I did get a nice surprise when my son came here last night and helped carry the tree and put it up. 

i have to admit it looks so pretty in front of the window but I just can't do what I use to...everything takes longer and the strength and endurance is not what it was when I was younger.

@DREAMON

It kind of looks like we are on opposite ends of the scale. 

You are wanting to downsize, but does it do your heart good to have so much input from the family, that they love the work you do and the home you create, (even though it is getting harder to do) and love to come and enjoy it? 

I wouldn't bat an eye at the work, if I felt anyone really cared anymore, but honestly I don't think they do. Husband never has been into it and I kind of drug him through it because I wanted it and because I wanted it for my kid. My kid loved it all when little, but as will be a normal occurrence, in his young twenties, a fully decorated house and trees at Christmas just aren't something he wants to participate in doing, and isn't living here anymore to enjoy it. 

So I guess even when it gets more difficult to achieve, at least having people who are excited to have it done, experience it and join in makes it a worthwhile endeavor.

I bet that tree is stunning!

@Mominohio  If your son comes for Christmas, he would enjoy the decor, wouldn't he?  DD comes then for one-two weeks, and she would be in shock if I didn't decorate, but I do it for myself as it is my favorite time of year, and the creativity of decorating is something I thrive on, actually need.  

This year I even bought Valerie's slim 3' tree for my computer room desk, a 5' for the bedroom, these won't be decorated as they are beautiful as it with the glittered pine cones, lights and flocked tips.

My decorated home is a wonderland for me at Christmas, and for several months thereafter.

Honored Contributor

I'm with @mousiegirl and urge you not to make the change this year. Obviously, I don't know you personally @Mominohio but my gut is telling me you will regret dumping the second tree.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

but I'm considering dumping the second tree this year. 

For many years, I've had a more formal tree in the living room, and the old fashioned, ornaments collected over a lifetime tree in the family room. I like it that way. I like my living room to be more color coordinated, more formal more elegant. 

But I also want the tree with all the ornaments from my childhood, my kid's childhood, the beautiful mix match memory with every ornament kind of tree on display each year as well. 

Alas, I'm sick of all the work of multiple trees, and storing multiple trees. Truth be told, I could do a third tree each year, in just Thomas Pacconi ornaments, so even with two trees, one of my tree themes (I have three of them) is left in the closet each year, and I have to rotate things every year, in order to use them. And I do enjoy each of the three themes, and am sad at whatever ones is 'missing' that year.

Helping this along is the fact that the family room tree has lost one section of it's lighting (pre lit) and husband thinks it is fixed each year, only to go out again before the season is over, and I'm left looking at a partially lit tree, which drives me nuts. That tree needs to go.

The compromise might be one tree, but bigger than the newer 5 foot one I will be keeping for now, and just doing the tree in the family room, eliminate a tree from the living room altogether, dumping one of my themes, and rotating what theme I do choose to do,  every other year. 

Those who pay attention to my posts know I'm struggling with and at the same time, wanting some changes in holiday traditions, and this one is no different. I want less stuff and less work, at the same time I want it all the way it used to be and more. 

I hate this transition time. The time when you both want to do and have less, but still enjoy the excess traditional way you have always done it. Does or has anyone else struggled with this?

@Mominohio

I here ya, and Im in the same boat,  I do a 7.5 ft tree in my living room and a 4ft in my bedroom ....I love Christmas and love to decorate and celebrate, and especially love the ornaments Ive collected over the years....but you reach a point when is just too much---its cleaning the house before and after the decorations are up...its getting the stuff out.....putting it all back and storing it all.............BUT I love how it looks!!!  

I started Saturday and finished up this afternoon, I did the big tree but with less ornaments (but it still looks full), Im sure Ill miss some that I didnt put out....And less decor overall in my living room, dinning room, and kitchen...and Im not putting up the tree in my bedroom,and in my bath a red candle, holiday soap, and red towels....BUT it was STILL exhausting!!! 

But I got it done and now I can enjoy the holidays and some special events (gift giving is very minmal most everyone decided to stop it, so now its just my sister and a few very close friends that exchange) -Fewer decorations but enough to enjoy the season and being with people that are special, and the faith aspect are what matters most........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl

Your ideas and themes for your trees sound wonderful!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

@Mominohio  I don't have the time to read the replies.....wish I did....but I know from your previous posts that you are stuggling to find the right balance for yourself. It happens to all of us.....be very kind to yourself and know that it will work out. You will find the right balance for yourself, your home and your family. This Christmas may possibly be a time of rest for you.

It happened to me several Christmas seasons ago. I just didn't want the same things anymore. It worked itself out. 

I am going all out this year.....yes, I am nuts but it is a good kind of crazy. I honestly believe this won't happen next year but I am giving it all I have this year. 

The real Christmas, for any of us, is in the heart. Yes, I truly believe that.

Merry, Merry.

Honored Contributor

@Regal Bee wrote:

@Mominohio  I don't have the time to read the replies.....wish I did....but I know from your previous posts that you are stuggling to find the right balance for yourself. It happens to all of us.....be very kind to yourself and know that it will work out. You will find the right balance for yourself, your home and your family. This Christmas may possibly be a time of rest for you.

It happened to me several Christmas seasons ago. I just didn't want the same things anymore. It worked itself out. 

I am going all out this year.....yes, I am nuts but it is a good kind of crazy. I honestly believe this won't happen next year but I am giving it all I have this year. 

Merry, Merry.

@Regal Bee

I was hoping you would be posting by now, some of the details of your plans for the big community Christmas event you are working on. 

I'm sure you are busy, but how is it going? Can you share the theme or what you are considering doing? Been waiting months to hear more details about it! 

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@Regal Bee wrote:

Merry, Merry.

@Regal Bee

I was hoping you would be posting by now, some of the details of your plans for the big community Christmas event you are working on. 

I'm sure you are busy, but how is it going? Can you share the theme or what you are considering doing? Been waiting months to hear more details about it! 

@Mominohio  Well,  I am excited and frazzled all at the same time. Just entirely too much on my plate overall. We shopped for the neighborhood Christmas party today....they have given me a small budget and I am fighting for more. I'm having a hard time with balance as I want to be nice but I am really a fighter when it is all said and done. Mercy. It will work out.

We have finished the sun porch renovation and now finishing up the guest room renovation along with a massive community garage sale. My husband, whom I adore, is a packrat and parting with his goodies has left him in shock. I am more than delighted. The purging is this house is truly enpowering. :-)

Details will come......just totally on a happy overload at present. Is there such a thing?!

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@DREAMON wrote:

Our 9' tree had flocking that turned a yellow color so it it has been put to rest.

I decided to get a 7 1/2' tree so it would be easier to handle. I also have a 5' tree in front of a picture window in my bedroom that faces the street. I love that 5' and it is easy to put up... I just do picks and lights on that one. 

Back to the thought of me getting the 7 1/2 ' tree...it went over like a lead balloon. My husband said my family would be disappointed (I think he meant himself), my daughter and grandkids said it would just not be the same with a smaller tree and that I was changing tradition. My son said he thought we were getting a 12' tree because that is the size that would look  best in out room with 18' ceilings. 

Yesterday we bought another 9' tree and a tall snowman hat for a topper which makes the tree 12' tall....everybody won but me...the one who does all the decorating. I did get a nice surprise when my son came here last night and helped carry the tree and put it up. 

i have to admit it looks so pretty in front of the window but I just can't do what I use to...everything takes longer and the strength and endurance is not what it was when I was younger.

@DREAMON

It kind of looks like we are on opposite ends of the scale. 

You are wanting to downsize, but does it do your heart good to have so much input from the family, that they love the work you do and the home you create, (even though it is getting harder to do) and love to come and enjoy it? 

I wouldn't bat an eye at the work, if I felt anyone really cared anymore, but honestly I don't think they do. Husband never has been into it and I kind of drug him through it because I wanted it and because I wanted it for my kid. My kid loved it all when little, but as will be a normal occurrence, in his young twenties, a fully decorated house and trees at Christmas just aren't something he wants to participate in doing, and isn't living here anymore to enjoy it. 

So I guess even when it gets more difficult to achieve, at least having people who are excited to have it done, experience it and join in makes it a worthwhile endeavor.

I bet that tree is stunning!

@Mominohio,

Yes my family does appreciate it and they do love it so you are so right...it is well worth my time and energy. It takes me longer to achieve the look I want but so be it. 

If I were you I would do what pleases you. You know what you like and should enjoy your home decorated in a way that makes you happy for the Holidays.

I bet your son will again appreciate your Holiday decorating when he gets a little older and maybe has a family. They come back around..believe me! Teens and Twenties are rocky.