Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I broke my New Year's Resolution...

[ Edited ]

...and I feel fine...LOL

RED FLAG WARNING: Winded post...

It has been nearly 2 weeks since I posted last. I have finally come up for air after spending (what seems to be) endless hours purging/cleaning. The biggest chore was the basement and it is now complete and ready for setting up for sowing seeds.

When I started to put away our holiday decor I was faced with a nightmare. For those that have kept up with a lot of posts I have written since CIJ last year...including listing in one of my holiday pics threads the majority of new decor I bought, it was A LOT!  

On one hand, I have no regrets since they are all wonderful pieces I am keeping...

HOWEVER, The amount of stuff I had to purge in order to make room for all the new treasures was just off the charts!!! I do not EVER want to go through that insanity again.

My purging this time was like no other purging. This time around also has given me the best perspective on just how I can 'maintain' all that I have accomplished. I have finally turned a corner and view space more valuable than 'stuff'. How?

I'll use my collection of dinnerware as an example...

Last month I purged about 70-75% of the dinnerware I collected over the past 3-4 yrs...all 3 shelves in the basement and some of what I had in the kitchen...enough so there is no dinnerware in the basement and it is now all in the kitchen.

In hindsight...what in the world was I thinking to aquire THAT much dinnerware anyway...yyym0945.gif

I posted pics on a thread in the home forum of the newly arranged/cleaned kitchen cabinets showing the dinnerware I had left. Funny thing was I still was not satisfied with my purge and purged even more at 2 more times last week. 1st time was to remove about 2 tall stacks of dishes, and a couple of days ago to purge more plates and mugs. I'll post updated pics when I get a chance.

Anyway, when I finally got the amount of dinnerware down to what I  thought was reasonable, I noticed I had solid colors of green & white, Fall and Holiday but no real Spring/Summer - type...other than 3 mugs...one each of a Monarch, Hummingbird and Meadowlark...all of which I had for many yrs.

I not only wanted, but NEEDED just a few new pieces for Spring/Summer. I REALLY NEEDED a change...especially a new mug.

Although I hadn't been receiving any emails from retailers anymore...unsubscribed to all of them, 'google' still had this memory of sites I had visited and an image of the botanical dinnerware set at Pier One kept taunting me when I was on the pute.

I reasoned with myself and said that if I purchased new pieces from this set, I had to purge even more...which I did. I ordered 2 mugs and 3 salad plates. I purged 6 mugs and 10 more plates.

Why? to really instill how I am working on permanent changes when I bring anything new into this house!

In the past I would purge a lot, but never really to a point of 'reasonable amt' . 

Anyway, today I just got the pkg from Pier One with the 'botanical garden' 2 mugs and 3 salad plates (just enough for DH & I and brought the order to over $49 for FREE S&H) and I couldn't be more pleased. The 'English garden' type of flowers look just like our gardens and the pieces are quality. I LOVE these pieces!

The salad plates are on the large size, so wonderful for DH & I for lunches with sandwiches and fruit....no need to get the dinner plates or bowls. I'm looking at my mug now filled with coffee and it's just making me smile...such a bright spot to remove some of the winter dulldrums and will be using from now til Fall...just very happy!

Below are pics of the mug and salad plate...

mug.jpg

salad.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

Re: I broke my New Year's Resolution...

It is a necessity to have dishware for all seasons!

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

@Sweetbay magnolia  Thanks for letting me know...I'm so relieved...LOL

As for any new decor, it won't be happening for a VERY long time. I am so numb by all the decor I purged and happy with the space I got back. The desire to even think about new decor...quite honestly, is gone.

I am grateful for both reaching this point and DH & I having this small 875 sq ft house. Thankfully purging is much less than for folks with 2-5+ times the sq footage we have with much larger areas to have to maintain and/or purge.

For the longest time I have been wanting more linen closet space and room for a diningroom table. I don't desire it anymore...well, maybe at least a bigger bathroom for a spa/hottub! LOL

So I guess there really is an upside to everything Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Your new mug and plate made me smile also Susan Louise.

So pretty.

I may never get to the point where I don't think about new decor,

but I have become very selective on what I purchase.  I try very hard

to not purchase anything seasonal, that has to be stored.  

I believe I will probably be thinking of you in the morning ,having coffee

in that pretty mug.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@yellowrose wrote:

Your new mug and plate made me smile also Susan Louise.

So pretty.

I may never get to the point where I don't think about new decor,

but I have become very selective on what I purchase.  I try very hard

to not purchase anything seasonal, that has to be stored.  

I believe I will probably be thinking of you in the morning ,having coffee

in that pretty mug.  Smiley Happy

@yellowrose  Bless your heart Smiley Happy

I thought I was being selective purchasing new decor, but certainly not nearly at the level I should have been. I think for me it has come down to my change of viewpoint looking at 'stuff' and valuing space more.

It feels a bit odd, but better nonetheless...

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

Oh no, than I am a failure, I sure don't.  LOL.  Send me to my room.

Trusted Contributor

@Susan Louise ~ Those are beautiful!  Being a Pier 1 junkie (they know me by my first name there) I wonder how those slipped past my radar!

Good for you regarding your purge!  I learned it's a constant process, at least here it is.  For instance, I purchased the Spring Birds melamine dinner plates, salad plates and platters from Pier 1.  I used my $40.00 rewards certificate so some of it was basically free.  When I got home I took my current melamine dinner and salad plates and promptly drove them to the resale shop.  My shelf is now organized and pretty with all my new things.

As for my New Year's Resolution?  Broken, broken, broken.  However, I still vow to remain diligent in purging and making open space in our home.

Enjoy your beautiful new pieces!

Honored Contributor

@Susan Louise, I really like your dishes.  But I also like the little guy who's hitting his head against the wall. LOL

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Julie928 wrote:

@Susan Louise ~ Those are beautiful!  Being a Pier 1 junkie (they know me by my first name there) I wonder how those slipped past my radar!

Good for you regarding your purge!  I learned it's a constant process, at least here it is.  For instance, I purchased the Spring Birds melamine dinner plates, salad plates and platters from Pier 1.  I used my $40.00 rewards certificate so some of it was basically free.  When I got home I took my current melamine dinner and salad plates and promptly drove them to the resale shop.  My shelf is now organized and pretty with all my new things.

As for my New Year's Resolution?  Broken, broken, broken.  However, I still vow to remain diligent in purging and making open space in our home.

Enjoy your beautiful new pieces!

@Julie928  Thank you Julie Smiley Happy

As for purging, yes, it is neverending...

You did well going to charity straight away with purged dishes to make room for your new treasures.

It's funny how I have a pretty good handle on maintaining a fairly reasonable amount of stuff with some things and not others...

I have a one in-one out with handbags and maintain a certain number....only what fits in the cubby holes of my armoire. On the other hand, , the same is not true for my clothes. That HAS to and I WILL change!

Dinnerware was never an issue til I started seeing tablescape threads here in the forums...previously always mainly just had one set of plates. Three yrs of insanity til I got a hold of the reigns...LOL

I'm thankful I don't have this problem with every category of 'stuff'"...

My collecting of artglass and various other vintage/antique pieces in our curio cabinet and wall unit in the livingroom never went beyond those areas. Once I filled them both, I stopped collecting...about 12 yrs ago now. At least DH and I are able to enjoy viewing them in the lighted cabinets and none are stored in boxes taking up prime real estate in the basement or elsewhere.

Pier 1 is a great place to get lost in. I think it's been over a year since I have been in our local store...about 12 miles away. How far away is your store?

Those 'Spring Birds' melemine plates are lovely! The plate with the 4 Bluebirds on a branch is adorable Smiley Happy