Respected Contributor

Were you able to get together with family ? did you cook ? what was the favorite dish of the day ?

For the first time since 2019 I had my children, their spouses and my grandchildren here. I have always enjoyed cooking and having my family at my home for the holiday. I had the turkey and 6 side dishes and I made each of my 2 children a "not your mommas banana pudding" for them to take home. It was so enjoyable !  My son called me back after he got home and told me it was time for me to stop cooking the big holiday meals and let him and my daughter take over the holiday cooking and I should just come to their home, sit and enjoy the meal. They will now rotate the cooking duties. I taught both of them how to cook and they do a great job. It's hard to give up my job but I guess I will have to do that. At 71 I was a bit tired last night after cooking for 2 days.  Love my children !!   

Esteemed Contributor

Re: How was your Thanksgiving ?

[ Edited ]

It's just the two of us so we keep things simple. Turkey, stuffing, mashed, sweets, veggie, cranberry sauce and desert. We take our plates outside and eat by the firepit so fewer dishes to wash and no table to set. I don't cook for days. Everything is easy and he helps. Actually he does most of it. We don't do fancy.

Respected Contributor

It was just the two of this year.  For Thanksgiving, I roasted a bone-in, 1/2 turkey b r e a s t, made our favorite fresh cranberry salad and cooked a vegetable hash mix of sweet potatoes, butternut squash, celery and red onion.  We just finished hot open-faced sandwiches made from leftover turkey and swiss cheese for our main meal today.

Respected Contributor

Good for the most part. We had some glitches with our food order from the Q but worked it out. Very relaxed and laid back day for us. Christmas will be an all out affair.... so happy that we could relax for Thanksgiving. 

Respected Contributor

I am no cook by any stretch of the imagination, but since my mom passed I do cook for this holiday. The usual turkey (breast) and sides. I make my dressing just like my mom did. In fact, Thanksgiving 2014 was the last holiday we had with her. She felt bad because she couldn't help, so we sat together and broke up the bread for the dressing. Anyhow, yesterday it was my sister, my neighbor and myself. I surprise myself because so far I haven't messed anything up. 

Valued Contributor

@Goodie2shoes   What a thoughtful son you have! I stopped doing the Thanksgiving Dinner thing a few years ago (After probably 35 years of hosting and cooking)  Best thing I've ever done. Well, maybe not the best thing, but a good thing. Now we go to one of my daughter's and bring something or give her cash and everyone's happy.

It's important to know when to stop and let someone else take over.

Honored Contributor

All of my family enjoyed a great day, and blew up our phones sharing selfies; I shared a picture with an out of state cousin and even received a selfie from them, which was nice.   

Mom and one brother lives across the road from me, and other brother is about 10 minutes away.  We see each other often, but like our holidays quiet.

My nephew came up to spend the day with his parents, the brother who lives across the road.   Mom spent the day with other brother; she refuses to get vaccinated, so at least she was safe.

Oldest daughter went to her boyfriends house earlier in the week, and cooked a late meal for them after he came in from hunting.   Trucker daughter got in early yesterday morning, and ate with us.   Everyone was happy and it showed in all the pictures!   

Honored Contributor

I made a big meal today for just three of us. So much calmer than when we would have forty people over on Thanksgiving.

Respected Contributor

As a workaholic career lady, I rarely cooked, and much of the family who used to host no longer do so, so for the past decade we have dined at restaurants, especially if we decided to travel out of town.

I must say four of the five restaurants I contacted were completely booked up, so dining out on the holidays is a popular past-time in our busy city and suburbs.   

Usually we head north for the ski resorts opening days, but we will go next month instead, as the weather was too warm this month for a heavy snow build-up.

Hope all had a happy and healthy day!