Respected Contributor

Re: How old is too old to "Trick or Treat".....

I always gave to those who came, but my daughter quit going when she around 14 or so. 

They have trick or treat on Thursday here,because the bars have Halloween parties on the actual date.

We used to have a ton of kids being dropped off by the carload, until the local communities all made it on the same day.

I have noticed that a lot of whole families on my block go and don't pass out candy. It never occured to me to do that,one of us would go and the other would pass out candy. They were commenting about not many lights on ....lol

Esteemed Contributor

I also think some are too young. Every year I see infants being carried around our neighborhood while mom or dad are holding out the treat bag and saying, "Trick or Treat." Some have been under three months old, and all were total strangers. What are they thinking?
Honored Contributor

When I lived in a developement we had some kid ride his min-bike ( motorized) from house to house. I think that is too old.

Honored Contributor

DH says if you are old enough to get drafted.

Valued Contributor

I don't care how old they are. I buy the candy and give it out. I had some older ones and was surprised because I remember in high school I thought I would never do that.  My friends and I did one year and it was fun, but seems to be the norm any more around here.

If you come to my door and say trick or treat then you get a treat. I think some parents just can't wait is all.  If it makes them happy then I am for it. 

I sat outside  this year and handed out and it wasn't too bad out.  Some of the other neighbors did also. I just took a blanket and wrapped it around me.  One person said is that a statue or a real person.  

I've always loved Halloween and to me one of the holidays that is so easy to do.  No fuss and no family to feed or house to clean.  Just hand out the treat bags that I prepare and do some decorating.  Love It!!

Honored Contributor

I live in Ohio and our trick-or-treat is almost always on the night of Halloween. However, there have been years that because of high school and middle school football games, it was changed to the night prior.

I buy candy and give it out to whoever shows up.  A few years ago there was a kid with a full beard and mustache who showed up.  I heard my neighbor jokingly tell him that next year he should shave before he comes around.  LOL

I was out of town this year so I didn't pass out candy but my neighbor told me it was a complete bust in our neighborhood.  She said she got maybe 15 kids the entire time.

I think around here, more and more churches, etc. are having Halloween activities such as parties and trick-or-treating so kids aren't out in neighborhoods like they used to be.    

Super Contributor

Just when you thought you've seen it all...

The first Trick or Treater I had this year was a real shocker.  In fact, I thought it was a joke at first.  A lady of about 80 or more years old came dressed like the witch in Hansel & Gretel.  She didn't say a word; just stared; not even a thank you.  I deposited treats into her plastic pumpkin and she slowly and carefully maneuvered down the two steps on our porch.

As she left, I noticed another old, white haired lady with a plastic pumpkin at the end of our drive.  That woman was dragging an unwilling costumed little boy of about  1-1/2 years of age down the street.  One child too young to eat all that candy, but they carried 2 large pumpkin containers.  

That lady was the oldest person that I EVER had come Trick or Treating to my house.  It was just so unbelievably weird.  

"I always have a chair for you in the smallest parlor in the world, to wit, my heart." --Emily Dickinson
Honored Contributor

@Constance2 wrote:

Just when you thought you've seen it all...

The first Trick or Treater I had this year was a real shocker.  In fact, I thought it was a joke at first.  A lady of about 80 or more years old came dressed like the witch in Hansel & Gretel.  She didn't say a word; just stared; not even a thank you.  I deposited treats into her plastic pumpkin and she slowly and carefully maneuvered down the two steps on our porch.

As she left, I noticed another old, white haired lady with a plastic pumpkin at the end of our drive.  That woman was dragging an unwilling costumed little boy of about  1-1/2 years of age down the street.  One child too young to eat all that candy, but they carried 2 large pumpkin containers.  

That lady was the oldest person that I EVER had come Trick or Treating to my house.  It was just so unbelievably weird.  

This is weird! Was maybe someone a really good makeup artist?!!

I have to wonder if so many people of all ages are begging for candy on Halloween because they are too poor to afford food/candy, or just cheap and greedy, or are they just out having fun? Makes you wonder.

Super Contributor

No, she was definitely an old woman. I am thinking possibly mental illness for her to be dressed up and Trick or Treating. She never smiled to show she was having fun.
"I always have a chair for you in the smallest parlor in the world, to wit, my heart." --Emily Dickinson
Honored Contributor

@Constance2 wrote:
No, she was definitely an old woman. I am thinking possibly mental illness for her to be dressed up and Trick or Treating. She never smiled to show she was having fun.

If that is the case, then very sad indeed. May not have anyone to keep an eye on her, and that could be very dangerous to her health and safety.