Respected Contributor

Re: How old is too old to "Trick or Treat".....

I used to think junior high age but I've had older kids that have come by and really were having a blast!  There seems to be a gap where the freshman high schoolers think they're too old and then when they're seniors they decide it'll be fun to dress up with their friends and do it again.

Trusted Contributor

I think 12 and under is what parents should consider when raising kids.  Personally, I think it peculiar when anyone older than 12 wants to dress up to go get candy.  I never wanted to do it after Elementary School, and everyone I knew just naturally grew out of it at that time, too.

My sister took my 17 and 10 year old nephews around their neighborhood.  She took a picture of the 3 of them, and posted it on Facebook.  I thought it looked embarrassing with her standing next to my 17 year old nephew dressed in some kind of ghoul mask and towering over her at 6' tall.  I wouldn't open my door if I saw anyone who looked older than 12.  I've seen "A Clockwork Orange," and the thought of a home invasion is one of my biggest fears.  

Honored Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

I think 12 is a reasonable cut off age.

@KathyPet

In my neck of the woods 12 yr olds look like NFL line backers &/or as tall as NBA ballers!

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

We rarely see a trick-or-treater where I now live, but my parents live in a neighborhood where they bring kids in buses and vans.  They give away a set amount of candy, then turn off the porch light.  I don't have a problem giving candy to anyone of any age, but I don't appreciate greedy kids.  I used to give away full size candy bars and learned that I had to drop a bar in each sack myself because if I offered the platter, the kids would grab as many as they could.  It made me sad to see that greediness...and yes, it was greediness, not neediness.

Honored Contributor

i WISH we had even one trick or treater!

when we did is saw them up to college aged kids (we live near a major university) and adults taking their very young kids around.

it was all good........i always bought a ton of candy and was very generous, especially with the ones who arrived a bit later. i really didnt want any leftovers......

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Valued Contributor

We just finished handing out candy about 1 1/2 hours ago and we didn't have a lot of teenagers this year at all. But I will say we had three who were young teens and they were the most polite and friendly kids. They were my favorite of the whole night. They were just very sweet.

Honored Contributor

beard and mustache?

Super Contributor

If you show up on my doorstep in a costume on Halloween, you will get candy. (Regardless of age)
I think it's sad that people would put an "age" restriction on it. I have only come across very polite older kids that are just out having fun. What should they be doing? And why does it bother you? If you don't want the expense of Halloween just turn out your light.
Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I'd say late junior high grades--what used to be 9thand up.  Absolutely trick or treat is for young kids.  We stopped when we were getting mostly high school kids and when people started bussing in loads of kids.  Vans and even church busses lined the streets and it was a pure mess.

This also ruined Halloween for our neighborhood.  People used to be all decorated and it was fun and people you mostly knew came to to the door.  Then the vans full came and you were getting older kids and you had no idea who you opened the door too.  Now that's too scary for me!  

I miss handing out candy.  Now most people here don't even decorate or put out pumpkins

THis is what has happened to many of the neighborhoods where I grew up. We now live out, and don't get any beggars, but in town, they are now coming by the van loads, into neighborhoods that are known to have strong trick-or-treat participation by the residents, and many people are running out of candy just an hour into the event.

When I was a kid, people only traveled in their general neighborhood area, everyone knew most everyone else and fun was had by all. Today it is crazy how older kids are just showing up with a backpack and demanding candy.

As for the age to stop trick or treating, I'll say that when my son was in late grade school and junior high, many kids still went out. They all dressed up, were very respectful, and seemed to be well accepted by those handing  out treats. My son was very big for his age. He was 6 foot tall in 6th grade, wearing a size 13 shoe, and just a large kid in general. I was always afraid that people thought he was much older than he actually was, but we never did encounter anyone who challenged him because of his size. 

I think that kids who have respectful fun with trick or treat should be able to do so through about the eighth grade if they want to, but by the time they start high school, they really need to be moving on to something else, unless accompanying younger siblings for the evening.

Honored Contributor

@JAXS Mom wrote:

I've never heard of going out on anther night than actual Halloween, and certainly no one trick or treated last night because everyone was at the local high school football home game. 

Very few towns allow trick or treat on Halloween around here. Most here are scheduled for a week night just prior, often a Thursday. The idea is that Halloween night, especially if on a weekend, is not really that safe for young ones to be out and about. Older kids are often up to mischief and there is the adult celebrations and alcohol involved that compromises the younger one's safety. 

All trick or treat nights in the various towns here are pre set days, and pre set times. It isn't something people just go out and do any time they want. Most areas have a specifically set aside day and time now, and rarely is it ever seen on Halloween.