Respected Contributor

Re: How far in advance do you decorate before a holiday?

Most holidays the week before EXCEPT for Christmas.  For Christmas the Tree goes up (with any luck at all)  the weekend before Thanksgiving to be ready for decorating Thanksgiving night or weekend when the family has gathered.  Taking it down is a process.  I love my Christmas tree but it's a pain putting everything away so I do it in stages.  I'm usually ready to disassemble it by February. It still looks nice with just the lights on it so I take my time.

Esteemed Contributor

I like it to be at least 2 weeks in advance so you get to enjoy all the decor,

but I have no set schedule.

Decorating nicely takes time and effort. My pieces make me smile.

Happy Easter.

Frequent Contributor

@MsCatLuver if my DH wouldn't think I had flipped my lid I would decorate year-round for Christmas! LOL!  My schedule goes like this:

Inside

• January-February - winter themed with snowmen and not so seasonal Christmas decor mixed with Valentine's Day
  • February-March-April - Easter (depending on when it falls).  This year did it earlier because I just couldn't take the drab, cold, snowy days
  • After Easter - put out Summer
  • September - Fall/Halloween
  • First part of November - Thanksgiving/start Chrstmas
  • Thanksgiving Weekend - finish Chrstmas and it stays through mid-January (I know that's a long time but it gets so drab that I just like the lights and warmth)

Ouitside

• January-March - Snow/Winter themed items - usually stay that way because they are frozen in the planters and the ground
  • March-April - depending on when the weather breaks - Easter wreath on the door and a bunny on the porch
  • After Easter as soon as I can - planters are planted and they remain the same through Fall
  • September - Fall stuff goes in planters and Fall themed decor is put out
  • October - couple weeks before Halloween decor is put up and I take it down shortly after Halloween
  • November - Usually Veteran's Weekend because the weather is still nice - I put out Winter stuff in the planters and Christmas decor on the porch so I turn it on Thanksgiving Weekend

Probably waaaaaay more information than you wanted.  I say decorate when you feel like it!

Respected Contributor

I am still downsizing. I only have 3 flat surfaces now to decorate. Less stuff. So I look for seasonal, not holiday decor.

Respected Contributor

I don't have a set schedule as it depends on how the holidays fall with whatever else is going on in my life.  I usually decorate for Christmas on Thanksgiving weekend unless we are having houseguests.  If we have guests, I'll decorate before they arrive or after they leave.

For Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day, Independence Day and Halloween, I usually put one or two themed items out the week of the holiday.  Bunnies and eggs show up about a month before Easter.

I change over my front door wreath, dishes, bedding, throw pillows, towels, etc. around the end of March, the end of June, the end of September and then sometiime in November.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It dependson the holiday/season....

🐇 Spring/Easter----after Valentines Day 2/15 take down after Easter....

US🎆Memorial Day/Fourth of July----May 1st until July 5th--All I really have is my Patriotic Jim Shore Angel, Jim Shore Patriotic Basket, a floral arrangement of red, white, blue flowers.....Jim Shore Patriotic cat 

🌻 Rest of Summer--a Sunflower arrangemet--Im not a fan of summer too hot--not a beach person either

🍂 Fall--After Labor Day in September until 2nd week November.

🎃 Halloween ---October 1st until November 1st....I add in Halloween stuff ---my big Jim shore Halloween cat, and a few other Jim Shore Halloween cats 

🎅🎄Christmas---I have a lot of decor so I start 2nd week of November, so I can enjoy all that work...take it down January 7th.....

Wreaths on my front door all seasons/holidays

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Now that my daughters are adults, I don’t decorate for holidays.  

Teacher daughter gets enough decorating in her classroom; she doesn’t want to look at anything holiday related here.  

Trucker daughter is on the road so much she doesn’t really keep up with any holiday besides Thanksgiving and Christmas.  

My husband and I like bare surfaces, and not having stuff that has to be packed away and stored.   

Honored Contributor

I only really decorate for Christmas and I do that the weekend after Thanksgiving.  I don't decorate for Valentines Day and St. Patricks Day and all the others.  I put out a few things for Easter and I do that a week before Easter.  I decorate for seasons rather than for holidays.  This weekend the Spring stuff goes up.  

Honored Contributor

I do more seasonal that actual holiday decor. 

For fall, I don't do Halloween or Thanksgiving, but just fall, and it goes out right after Labor day. 

Christmas is put up the day after Thanksgiving usually, and is becoming more greens, pines, winter things. Actual Christmas things stay up till at least Jan. 6th, and the winter things till spring breaks, sometimes late March. 

I have just a couple of Easter things and try to get them up one month before Easter.

I have a few Americana things that go up at Memorial day and stay up till Labor day.

I don't have any Valentines, St. Patricks, Halloween things, and don't want to. 

Esteemed Contributor

It depends on the holiday and how much "stuff" I want to display. Christmas is the biggest and I do multiple trees. I start around Thanksgiving. Fall..I start when the leaves fall or the temps cool. I'll start mixing the Halloween items in after school starts. All the other seasons I usually wait until the weather is cooperating with the season.

I've downscaled in the recent years except for Christmas. I'm still viewing that as a work in progress.