Honored Contributor

Re: How far in advance do you decorate before a holiday?

Throughout the years I've tried to find the right pattern for me, and I think I did a few years ago. Like some others I "seasonally" decorate:

FALL - SEP, OCT, NOV, includes Halloween (only in OCT) and Thanksgiving (as soon as Halloween is over!). I usually start after Labor Day. 

WINTER - DEC, JAN, FEB, includes Christmas, snowmen (JAN - FEB), and a few hearts (FEB). I will not start until after Thanksgiving Day! 

SPRING - MAR, APR, MAY, includes a few green things in March, and Easter. I am usually later with this one - sometime in early March. This is a shorter decorating season for me - but the bunnies stay out through the middle of May!  

SUMMER - JUN, JUL, AUG, includes Memorial Day and 4th of July. I start summer decorating a week before Memorial Day in May. I'm a red, white, and blue person, so it stays up all summer, mixed in with a little "beach" decorating! Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

I do Fall right after Labor Day

Christmas I start 2 weeks before Thanksgiving becasue I decorate every room and like to be done before Thanksgiving so I can just enjoy the Holidays and all my decor and Christmas Movies

I take Christmas down the day after Christmas, however I leave Winter items and a Winter themed tree up with white lights until the end of February. 

It’s starts getting nice in March where I live so I put spring/summer out until Fall.

i do the outside on Memorial Day, Labor Day and Fourth of July but only a week in advance.

I decorate for Holloween outside about 3 weeks before.

Christmas is my favorite time of year and I love to enjoy it for as long as I can and it takes me a while to do each room so I make sure I start early enough. I used to decorate the day after Thanksgiving but since I do every room, including bathrooms, if I started then, I would no sooner get everything done and have to take it down again. So that’s my schedule and I am sticking to it and I love to decorate so I look forward to it every year.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Spring, in March a bit at the time . And add rabbits later.

Summer, June-August, I use mostly white in the living room but flowers, and shells elsewhere.

Fall, September, leaves but no fruit or pumpkins until October.

THEN! The Halloween witches fly away and the tree goes up in the living room.

Nov 1 Valerie’s slim 7 foot glistening, with beaded fruit and pheasant feathers on top. I love the tree and it works for both November and December with the fruit. It takes about 30 minutes to decorate and I leave it up until New Year’s Day.