Honored Contributor

Re: How early do you decorate?

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Julie928 wrote:

I am actually thinking of starting my fall decorating this weekend.  I asked my husband to bring down all the fall things from the attic so I know exactly what I have.  This is so I don't go overboard when Valerie is back with her harvest shows on the 8th.  Knowing me, if I don't do this I buy duplicates, lol!

For Christmas, I start November 1st.  I know it's early, but we do so much I want to enjoy it for as long as possible.  I always put up one of our slim trees and decorate it for fall ~ harvest lights, maple leaves and pinecones.  That will probably happen this weekend as well.  :-)

@Julie928  I like this idea of a Fall tree, never thought of it.  I have quite a few slim trees on the woodsy note, and never thought to use them in the Fall, but now I just might. Smiley Happy

@mousiegirl  Would that require you to buy a lot of stuff when Valerie is on?  LOL

Honored Contributor

@lucymo wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Julie928 wrote:

I am actually thinking of starting my fall decorating this weekend.  I asked my husband to bring down all the fall things from the attic so I know exactly what I have.  This is so I don't go overboard when Valerie is back with her harvest shows on the 8th.  Knowing me, if I don't do this I buy duplicates, lol!

For Christmas, I start November 1st.  I know it's early, but we do so much I want to enjoy it for as long as possible.  I always put up one of our slim trees and decorate it for fall ~ harvest lights, maple leaves and pinecones.  That will probably happen this weekend as well.  :-)

@Julie928  I like this idea of a Fall tree, never thought of it.  I have quite a few slim trees on the woodsy note, and never thought to use them in the Fall, but now I just might. Smiley Happy

@mousiegirl  Would that require you to buy a lot of stuff when Valerie is on?  LOL

@lucymo  No, lol, I have many Fall garlands and picks that I could use in a tree.  I plan on not buying anything, famous last words, lol.  

Trusted Contributor

@mousiegirl ~ While going through my autumn stash last night I came across some gold leaf picks that Jill was selling last year.  I just received the 7 ft slim tree by Valerie and have to put it together to make sure the lights are okay.  Instead of putting it away (cause we all know there's no way that's fitting back in the box) I thought I would leave it out.  The picks, some birds and bird's nests and now I can enjoy the tree all the while longer!  :-)

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Julie928 wrote:

@mousiegirl ~ While going through my autumn stash last night I came across some gold leaf picks that Jill was selling last year.  I just received the 7 ft slim tree by Valerie and have to put it together to make sure the lights are okay.  Instead of putting it away (cause we all know there's no way that's fitting back in the box) I thought I would leave it out.  The picks, some birds and bird's nests and now I can enjoy the tree all the while longer!  :-)

@Julie928  Sounds good. Smiley Happy  I have one slim tree in the kitchen in a small corner next to the door, which now holds birds and beaded fruit with an owl on top.  I could use this tree and just remove whatever doesn't look good with the Fall items.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@lucymo wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Julie928 wrote:

@lucymo  No, lol, I have many Fall garlands and picks that I could use in a tree.  I plan on not buying anything, famous last words, lol.  

@mousiegirl  Yeah, right!   That would be nice to have the tree for fall but I don't have any small trees anymore.  I should have kept one or two.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Julie928 wrote:

@Julie928  This is about the time I usually start decorating for Harvest/Fall anyway...before the hummingbird migration is in full swing and when I am so busy documenting/taking pics and maintaining so many other things. So it is helpful for me 3 ways...preventing more buying, looking forward to a decor change up (since I haven't changed the decor since the end of January), and makes my life easier too.

I only decorate for Fall/Harvest...no change/additions for Halloween or Thanksgiving...and I take down the the Fall decor the day after Thanksgiving.

That weekend I put up our Christmas/Holiday and keep it up til a day or two after New Year's Day.

I then do the cleaning the house top to bottom...going from room to room...which includes shampooing the carpets. When I am done...usually by the end of January, I then put up our Spring/Summer decor...which stays out til this time of the year. I will add a few bits here and there of say a pair of Easter bunnies and keep them up for a week or two, but that's about it.

When I start sowing seeds in the basement for our gardens, from that time on, I don't have the extra time to think about decor/decorating. 

Most folks don't 'get' my schedule of decorating, but it works for me Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Two weeks before Christmas.It comes down on New Years  Day January 1st.

Trusted Contributor

@Susan Louise ~ I totally get your schedule.  We do so much we want to enjoy it as long as possible.  Now THIS is nuts ~ yesterday I received my replacement 7 ft tree by Valerie and I just finished assembling it.  OMG it's beautiful!  I really don't want to put it away.  I think I'll leave it in our den decorated for fall.  The den is in the back of the house so we'll be the only ones that can see it.  I have some faux pumpkins in shades of orange and green I'll place around the bottom of the tree, and place Jill's gold leaf picks in the tree to give it more of a look of autumn.  Crazy, I know.   But hey, that's what we do!!! 

Honored Contributor

@Susan Louise, I totally get your schedule. It's a lot like mine. From early Spring till very late Fall, I am kept busy with outside chores, or sometime with home improvement projects. I only decorate for Christmas the last few years. I gave away all my Fall decor, since I had no time to mess with it anymore. I usually do Holiday decorating the week of Thanksgiving (we go out for Thanksgiving dinner, so I am not busy with dinner prep), I take down the decor usually the day after Christmas and January I start a whole house cleaning, room by room. Works for me and I understand perfectly.
"To each their own, in all things".
Trusted Contributor

Well, I start bringing out my fall decorations the day after labor day.  They stay out until the day after thanksgiving when I bring out the Xmas things.  To me it just doesn't seem right to have my thanksgiving table adorned with Frosty and Santa lol.