Respected Contributor

Re: How Did Taking The Christmas DOWN Decorations Go???

Started yesterday with ribbons, bags,  etc.  (yes, I reuse).  I also did some tabletop and greenery.  Today I attacked part of tree.  I pulled certain collection ornaments that are in a box.  Completed putting those back in original packing.  Rest of ornaments tomorrow.  It is sort of sad.  DH has most of lights outside down except those needing ladder.

Honored Contributor

I put most of my decor away on Saturday.  Yes, it's sad but it's also a relief to remove the "clutter."  I left the lighted front door wreath and a number of indoor light strings (on the mantle, etc.) so it's still cheery - at night, at least.

Valued Contributor

You all compete in how quickly you can get your Christmas decorations down, 1 hour, one day, four days, then quickly dust, vacuum and sit down and look at it ... take a deep breath then write it down on QVC forums to beat out the other ??

Esteemed Contributor

I usually wait until after the 6th but I took everything down on the 1st.  I cleaned the garage and got shelves and bins and just kept cleaning. I was off on the 2nd so I took it easy that day. 

Respected Contributor

We waited until January 6th, the Epiphany to take down the decorations and the tree. Our live tree was still green and loosing very few needles but we take down all indoor decorations that day. The outside greenery will stay up til the end of January. It makes me sad to take it down and put it away. Christmas decorations are so festive! The house looks naked now, but hubby says it is good to get it back to normal. I suppose.

Regular Contributor

I have 6 full sized decorated trees in my house, 2 tabletop trees & over a thousand ornaments. Five trees are packed away & will finish the sixth tomorrow. 

Mantel over fireplace will stay out until the first day of spring because its decor is 'wintery', not 'Christmasy'.

I'm running on caffene & Bayer Back & Body, but I do enjoy it.

Honored Contributor

@PatsShoes wrote:

I have 6 full sized decorated trees in my house, 2 tabletop trees & over a thousand ornaments. Five trees are packed away & will finish the sixth tomorrow. 

Mantel over fireplace will stay out until the first day of spring because its decor is 'wintery', not 'Christmasy'.

@PatsShoes - You are my hero! (Except I have to have real trees because of my grandparents' Christmas tree farm! Even though it's long gone, I have so many memories.) 

I'll bet your home looks beautiful. Maybe you can share some pictures sometime? Smiley Happy 

Regular Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

@PatsShoes wrote:

@PatsShoes - You are my hero! (Except I have to have real trees because of my grandparents' Christmas tree farm! Even though it's long gone, I have so many memories.) 

I'll bet your home looks beautiful. Maybe you can share some pictures sometime? Smiley Happy 

@beach-mom - I do prefer real trees as well...it took me a LONG time to start to change over to artificial ones. I can appreciate the special memories that would come with grandparents who had a Christmas tree farm!

Next year when the trees go back up I will have to take some pictures to share here. I don't really collect knick knacks or 'things' in my house ( well, except for shoes! lol ) but I have never met a corner of any room that I didn't want to squeeze a tree into & I do have a collection of ornaments built over 45 years. 

My house is not that big, 1,600 sq ft split level, but I do have space for a tree in each of the three bedrooms & one each in the dining room, living room & family room. They all have a theme as follows :

Victorian - All pink, mauve, gold & rose gold with white sheer ribbon, crystal beads. Lots of glass ornaments & Victorian style ornaments

Coastal - In my coastal guest bedroom. Soft turquoise, beach glass, starfish & driftwood garland & real seashell ornaments

Woodland - Found a huge tree in WalMart one year for $110 that came pre-lit & pre decorated with pinecones. I have a cardinal tree topper and hundreds of birds & woodland creatures on this one

Star Wars: It's a black tree with blue & white lights on black cords to mimic stars in 'space'...Death Star tree topper and all the Star Wars talking characters & spaceships everywhere. This one is my grandkids' favorite!

Dunkin': Dunkin Donuts coffee got me through every morning during 40 years managing retail stores, so yes, I am a fan! I have been collecting their ornaments for 20+ years. They are on an all white tree decorated with pink and orange lights and an extra large Dunkin take out cup as a tree topper.

The Family Tree, a.k.a. the one we put the presents under - This is my biggest tree; sits in the living room...no theme, but a lot of Santas, gingerbread houses, nutcrackers, candy canes, etc...the usual suspects + all the family milestone ornaments & ones we picked up while on family vacations. 

They do look nice when all are lit up and family is on their way over...I host Christmas every year and my grandkids look foreward to it, although I think it is really my Christmas cookies they like more than anything!

Well, I still have 2 last boxes to pack up and then I can relax in front of the woodstove with a good book...so I had better get to it!

Honored Contributor

@PatsShoes - I hope you have your last 2 boxes finished!

Thank you for your vivid descriptions. I can picture your trees and they all sound so pretty. My DS would love the Star Wars one. We have "a few" of those ornaments too!

DH is from a small rural area. About 20 years ago THE favorite thing to do was have a year-round seasonal tree. Two of my SIL's had them. They wanted me to get one too, but I never did. I wouldn't have minded, because I still would have had my real trees for Christmas, but bringing one back in the car with all of our things would have been hard. It was a long car trip and we went up only a few times a year. 

I loved to see theirs though, and go shopping at the small shops that had the ornaments. I do have a Hallmark mini tree with mini ornaments. I didn't put it out this year. I had fun buying a few mini seasonal ornaments at the shops in town with them. We always went up for the 4th of July. There was a craft fair in the town park, and a lot of tents with ornaments.

The craze died down, and the little shops in town (there were 4) have all closed. One girl still has a small shop with handmade crafts in her garage. 

My one SIL took her tree and ornaments to their church, which is right up the road from her home, where DH grew up. The other one still has hers up and changes it seasonally. 

I just think theme trees are beautiful! Maybe someday. . . Until then I'll look forward to hearing about yours next year and maybe seeing some pictures!  Smiley Happy