Honored Contributor

Hoping to see CIJ holiday decor without glitter and lights

It snowed here this weekend, and looked more like Christmas than actual Christmas did this last year (We actually were able to go hiking with no jackets in a state park on Christmas Eve this year!). That got me to thinking about CIJ (well, that, and because I think about it a lot!).

I'm hoping to see (but hoping not to buy anything!) less lit decor items, and less glitter. These things have to be a 'phase', and I have to wonder if/when it will pass. I also have to wonder how many pretty things Valerie can bring us without these two qualities. Some good old fashioned non glitzy things would indeed, be a nice change.

So here's to hoping that there are a lot of things on tap for CIJ, without batteries and glitter (not that I don't own a lot of those type things and love them, just looking to move beyond it).

Frequent Contributor

Re: Hoping to see CIJ holiday decor without glitter and lights

Agree 100%.  Enough s enough.

Super Contributor

Not me!!  Love all the glitter!

Honored Contributor

I agree.  Enough already with battery-operated and illuminated.  And we can only hope the lava lamp glitter angel has finally run its course.

Trusted Contributor

I really wish the Q would do a variety of more "themed" decor. The glitzy, glittery theme is fine if that is your "look" and it's fine to offer that as an option. My look is more earthy and organic, not quite rustic. I'm not into the metallic, glitter and glitz, glam look or the whimsical "fell into a vat of sugar" glittered look. Both seem to be trends that have been pushed endlessly the last few seasons. 

I also agree about the lit items. I do like my chosen lit pieces in my decor but have about reached my limit. Any more and it will just be "too much". I probably won't buy anything else that I can't remove and replace the lighting or the candle, should I need to. I am, though, really liking the versatility and subtleness of the battery operated fairy lights at the moment. 

As I'm getting older, the holiday decorating process is getting more draining, so I'm trying to decorate more with what is already there the rest of the year and just accessorize it with a holiday feel. Definitely cutting back and being more discriminating in my purchases. That said, I will see how the resolve holds up when Christmas in July gets here. 😄

Honored Contributor

Gotta be careful with that glitter!

Below is an article from Good Housekeeping and it's on a lot of news sites. I didn't post a link because of graphic photos, but Google it if you want.

"It's no secret that glitter is one of the most frustrating substances on the planet. Sure, it makes for great nail art and it looks delightful accenting your crafts, but seriously tough to get off your skin (or nails, for that matter). But one woman's experience with glitter goes beyond regular frustration — it's actually terrifying.

While tidying up after doing crafts with her daughter, Erica Diaz accidentally got a piece of glitter in her eye. The fleck cut her cornea, leading to an infection that left Diaz blind. For the past year, she's been dealing with the nightmarish medical process, which she's documented on Imgur. (Just a heads-up: the photos are pretty graphic.)

In addition to two cornea transplants that were unsuccessful (she even woke up during one of them), Diaz's eye led her to being at risk for sepsis — a possibility her doctors didn't wish to risk. Her eye had to be completely removed, so now she has a prosthesis in its place. Plus, she experienced the loss of her hair, eyebrows, and lashes as a side effect of her treatments, making her story even sadder. All from one tiny piece of glitter."

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@Maltichonmom17 wrote:

I really wish the Q would do a variety of more "themed" decor. The glitzy, glittery theme is fine if that is your "look" and it's fine to offer that as an option. My look is more earthy and organic, not quite rustic. I'm not into the metallic, glitter and glitz, glam look or the whimsical "fell into a vat of sugar" glittered look. Both seem to be trends that have been pushed endlessly the last few seasons. 

I also agree about the lit items. I do like my chosen lit pieces in my decor but have about reached my limit. Any more and it will just be "too much". I probably won't buy anything else that I can't remove and replace the lighting or the candle, should I need to. I am, though, really liking the versatility and subtleness of the battery operated fairy lights at the moment. 

As I'm getting older, the holiday decorating process is getting more draining, so I'm trying to decorate more with what is already there the rest of the year and just accessorize it with a holiday feel. Definitely cutting back and being more discriminating in my purchases. That said, I will see how the resolve holds up when Christmas in July gets here. 😄

@Maltichonmom17

Your last paragraph defines me to a tee. I, too, am trying to incorporate the 'everyday' things with a little embellishments for winter/holiday. Too much up and down stairs, too much storage space wasted.

I love my lit and glittered items, but I'm just at my limit, both in using and in watching on the programs.

Valerie used to have such elegant and timeless things, and she has moved more to the glitz and lit thing in holiday decor. I'd like to see a little swing back to the older style. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

@Maltichonmom17 wrote:

@Maltichonmom17

Your last paragraph defines me to a tee. I, too, am trying to incorporate the 'everyday' things with a little embellishments for winter/holiday. Too much up and down stairs, too much storage space wasted.

I love my lit and glittered items, but I'm just at my limit, both in using and in watching on the programs.

Valerie used to have such elegant and timeless things, and she has moved more to the glitz and lit thing in holiday decor. I'd like to see a little swing back to the older style. 

@Mominohio

Last season, I was looking at a Valerie nativity set done in neutral colors that I really liked. After reading the reviews, though, I realized it was covered in glitter. It was so pretty, the glitter was just not necessary. Had to pass on that. 

The glitter trend was everywhere last year, Michaels, Hobby Lobby, you name it. I hope that trend passes soon. Glitter has its place but doesn't need to be on everything.

Honored Contributor

I won't be buying, but I like to look.  A have a couple things that are glittery and they are a pain.  I have some copper twigs.  I swear copper glitter falls off just looking at them.  I bought a couple and had no issue.  Last year I bought a couple more and what a difference.

Respected Contributor

I have been suffering from battary fatigue as well.  I have a tendency to purchase morphing items; love anything that morphs.  The glitter aspect is bothersome not only for the obvious, but bare spots start occurring & doesn't look good.  @Mominohio, can you remind me of this post when we hunker down & get ready for CIJ, lol?