Honored Contributor

Re: Hoping to see CIJ holiday decor without glitter and lights

[ Edited ]

@millieshops wrote:

I have friends who love to decorate for the holidays, who collect and collect and collect.  One home I see occasionally (friend of a friend kind of thing)has an entire room devoted to Christmas.  It's there year round. and I swear there's not an inch that isn't decorated.

I have no major collections for any holiday  and have no inention to start any.  At this point in my life, no retailers can look to me to do much to increase their sales.  I know we hear that ours is a consumer-driven economy, but I'm no longer in the driver's seat.  Someone else has that job now!

@millieshops  

So why do you bash and trash and write snarky comments to other posters and comment on every thread written by a QVC customer who does want to make a purchase, but may have suggestions, or feedback on QVC merchandise or programming....Or perhaps instead of being a consumer you have now made this your new hobby instead ---QVC DEFENDER????????????? Give it a thought!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Occasional Contributor

I don't mind the lights, if they are plug in.  Batteries cost so much and now everything takes batteries.  However, the glitter  is way out of control.  Not everything looks good with glitter.  I too hope this phase passes soon.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm kinda with you. I have some early Valerie Christmas decorations that speak to the "reason for the season." Lately though, the reason for the season seems to be mercury glass and bottle brush trees!  Is is me, or does anyone have NO place for those in their home? I don't mind battery operated items (I buy them in bulk at Costco), because the timer candles are beautiful year-round. Love coming home from work to candle light! As for the glitter, I'm torn. The gold Bethlehem Lights glitter sprigs helped to transform my grandaughter's hospital room this Christmas during her recovery from a bone marrow transplant. We also used a battery operated strand on the wreath on her wall.

Trusted Contributor

I really do not like all the things that light up. I guess I am more of a traditional person that uses candles and white lights on the tree and mantle.

As far as glitter goes, I like glitter, I don't love it.

What I really do not care for is the faux mercury glass........EVERYWHERE.

Frequent Contributor

I am enjoying reading everyone's comments!  My garage is overflowing with Christmas decorations from QVC.  I need to watch and not buy- famous last words!  I am finding it more difficult to extensively decorate inside as I get older- lugging everything upstairs by myself is hard.  I need to focus on my outdoor decorations.  I bought a large artificial wreath from Frontgate and was disappointed with the lights.  Have been afraid to try bliss lights- I live in an attached home  in the city and was not sure if I would like or would work.  Maybe I will post a picture for ideas!  Can't wait for the July insider magazine!

Honored Contributor

@missxmas,  I'm getting excited to see what will show up this year for CIJ too.  I hope we don't just see more of the same with a few tweaks added.  I have enough spheres, pedestals and most of the lighted pieces.   I'm interested in some elegant pieces without the batteries and glitter.  I like glitter but some pieces are cheapened by the addition of it. I need to join you in watching and not buying.  Good luck to us.

Are you thinking that the neighbors might not like the Bliss lights? I haven't tried them either so can't be of any help there.

Honored Contributor

@missxmas wrote:

I am enjoying reading everyone's comments!  My garage is overflowing with Christmas decorations from QVC.  I need to watch and not buy- famous last words!  I am finding it more difficult to extensively decorate inside as I get older- lugging everything upstairs by myself is hard.  I need to focus on my outdoor decorations.  I bought a large artificial wreath from Frontgate and was disappointed with the lights.  Have been afraid to try bliss lights- I live in an attached home  in the city and was not sure if I would like or would work.  Maybe I will post a picture for ideas!  Can't wait for the July insider magazine!

@missxmas

I have way too much Christmas decor as well, and was suffering through lugging things up and down stairs and in and out of tubs etc. 

I tried to come up with some kind of solution, before just ridding myself of most of it.

What I came up with, and thought I'd share with you, is I attempt to store most everything I use in each room, right in that room.

I realize that this might not work for everyone, but I looked at each room I decorate, which is now limited to the living room, dining room, kitchen, and family room ( used to do kid's bedroom and bathrooms, but gave it up), and tried to figure out how to do so.

What I noticed was that I had storage ottomans in those areas, and a large antique trunk in the living room as well. I emptied those of the things in them, and placed the Christmas decor for each room, right there in those dual functioning furniture pieces. 

I didn't fit 100% of my things in them, but most of it. Now, when I decorate this year, I have almost everything I need to complete each room, right there in the room. I shouldn't have to make many trips to the basement or upstairs storage closet, and after I take the Christmas decor out of each piece, I can temporarily store the regular decor from that room, right there in the room as well.

I hope it will go as easily as it sounds like it will.

Regular Contributor

I purchased the Bliss lights in both the green and red colors(one of each) to use in my apartment against walls that are painted white. They look best with other things being minimally lit like say a tree and very little else. I have had my projectors for three years as of 2016 being used indoors only. I use the green projector for Easter, Christmas and every other year for St. Patty's if it and Easter aren't close together. I noticed when I turned the green projector on to use it for a month for Easter time its color was bright and vibrant for maybe the first 20 minute or so and then became much lighter. I am disappointed that this projector seems to be dying after only being used a few times a year and after so much money. I would never buy another Bliss product again.

Frequent Contributor

I love a lot of Valerie's stuff, but it seems she just can't help herselve by putting glitter over 80% of what she sells.  I just can't stand it.

Honored Contributor

the christmas in july edition of THE INSIDER is up online. there are lots of sneak peeks on new items and returning favorites.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein