Respected Contributor

Re: Holidays of yore vs today (and decorating)

@Mominohio wrote:

@Regal Bee wrote:

We always had a real tree....Dad wouldn't have any other kind and started our decorating about two weeks before Christmas. The tree was the big deal and I don't remember much of any other kind of decorating.

We did put lights on the exterior and put a santa and sleigh on the roof.

I used to decorate right after Thanksgiving but do most of it later now, as I get really tired of the holiday decor and want order back in our home. I went completely overboard for years....putting up four trees and decorating every room. Those days are over. I put up one tree last year and I may not put up any this year. I will decorate with my collections of Byers Carolers, Santas and such. I am heavily involved in our neighborhood holiday celebration and I will use the majority of my items to decorate our clubhouse. I just can't see myself taking all that apart and redoing it in our home.

This year will be much more simple..........anyway, that is my plan for now. (wink...wink)

@Regal Bee

I remember you posting earlier about your participation in your neighborhood celebration this year. I'm betting that will be a lot of work, but so much fun, and if you are like me, putting together things on a bigger scale like this, really satisfies a creative urge and is so rewarding to see the finished product. 

Hope you will share pictures of the event and space when it is done.

@Mominohio  Yes, indeed, it is a huge undertaking but I am excited about it. I have my husband involved and he is so encouraging and inspiring. Hopefully, we will prove to be a success. 

My camera goes me with everywhere so I will most definitely take pictures. 

Truthfully though, I am excited about our personal decorating this year as I want to put a more natural flair to our home design.  I intend on using lots of natural elements like fruit and even things from our yard....lots of pine cones and greenery.

So much fun to think about. Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

I have really enjoyed reading all of your posts.  I was a child in the 50's and 60's and parents from the depression era.  We had a real tree with the big C7 colored lights and tensil.  Mother made hand made Christmas ornaments and they were so special.  Our father put blue lights outside starting in the 60's.  Loved gathering at our grandparents house on Christmas afternoon and got to see all of our cousins.  Christmas is my favorite time of year.  I decorate outside for the passers by to enjoy and decorate inside for me to enjoy.  Just enough to feel cozy and Christmassy.  The day after Christmas is kind of sad for me.  I leave my inside decorations out until I'm ready to put them away.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've never been one who was in a big rush to take things down and I'm still not. My decorations are up until Epiphany. I am, though, putting up fewer, but, I think, nicer things. The tree has taken a significant cut in size, as I'm no longer putting up huge Christmas trees.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I too grew in in the 60's in a Row Home. My Mom decorated for every Holiday. She even decorated for political elections.

I thought we had a ton of Christmas decorations but looking back it was the large tree in the small house that made it look so festive. The banister was always draped in garland, candles in windows, and a large cardboard Santa on our front door.

She decorated the day after Thanksgiving but the real tree was bought and put up a week before Christmas and taken down Jan 8th.

My aunt (who lived a few houses down from us) had a silver aluminum tree that revolved with a color changing spotlight on it....I would go there and stare at that tree ...I thought it was gorgeous and I begged my parents to get a silver tree instead of the real one. I didn't win....my parents and my brothers hated the silver treeWoman LOL

Super Contributor

I grew up  in the 70s and eighties. So I came up along when folks were decorating more and more. I love both simple and over the top in good taste. I try to buy only Christmas decor that I woud not want to just donate or throw away. I mean I have to really want it for a long time.    

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio  My childhood decorating was the same as you mentioned.  Most of my decor is reminiscent of that era, as that is what I love.

As you know, I have a lot of decor, and love it all, so no, I am not thinking of doing less, although when it comes time to take it down, it does cross my mind, briefly, lol.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tishkins wrote:

I too grew up in Brooklyn same time -a great place and time to be young.  We bought our real tree at the Foster Avenue market around the 10-13. My sister and I could not wait to get the decorations out of the box. There was not a lot just enough to make tree look cute and then that tinsel that we threw in tree. A train set underneath small n cute. My parents would decorate with all the cards received .Those were the days. Simple and family . Still have 2 decorations from my childhood which I treasure.Wonderful memories

@tishkins  My Mother would string Christmas cards on the walls and mantle, I don't do that, but did when I first set up housekeeping.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@tishkins wrote:

I too grew up in Brooklyn same time -a great place and time to be young.  We bought our real tree at the Foster Avenue market around the 10-13. My sister and I could not wait to get the decorations out of the box. There was not a lot just enough to make tree look cute and then that tinsel that we threw in tree. A train set underneath small n cute. My parents would decorate with all the cards received .Those were the days. Simple and family . Still have 2 decorations from my childhood which I treasure.Wonderful memories

@tishkins  My Mother would string Christmas cards on the walls and mantle, I don't do that, but did when I first set up housekeeping.

@mousiegirl

Everyone we knew put their cards up, but my mom would never let us! She had a basket that my grandma had designed to hold cards, so that is what we used. So when I first had my own place, I put them up too. 

Now we only get a couple per year, wouldn't make much of a display! LOL  

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@tishkins wrote:

@mousiegirl

Everyone we knew put their cards up, but my mom would never let us! She had a basket that my grandma had designed to hold cards, so that is what we used. So when I first had my own place, I put them up too. 

Now we only get a couple per year, wouldn't make much of a display! LOL  

@Mominohio  DH would bring home the Christmas cards he received at the office for DD to look at.  I then cut off the fronts of the cards that i liked, and saved them.  When I was room mom from kindergarten to fifth grade, I would throw Christmas parties and one year, I brought colored cardstock paper, glue, and the card fronts for the children to make their own cards for their parents.  They picked what they liked, then wrote their messages inside, worked out wonderfully.

Respected Contributor

We are downsizing so decorate less. I have tubs of ornaments and decor that DH wants me to donate. I am just not ready yet. No, family isn’t interested.