Respected Contributor

Holiday or season decorating?

I am seasonal, not Halloween, Christmas, Easter or other holidays. Let’s leave decor up for 3 months.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Holiday or season decorating?

[ Edited ]

I am mostly seasonal. For instance  I have only one Santa, who is out for a few days, but everything else suggests festive holiday colors, cardinals, and then snowmen.  I have a similar approach to each season, with a witch or pilgrims out for a few days in the midst of fall/ harvest colors and themes. Hope that makes sense.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This to me, is a very smart and practical idea and way to approach things. It lets you get more bang for your buck (and your work).

I kind of do that to some extent. I have one very small box of patriotic things and they are the only 'summer' things I use. They go up Memorial Day and come down after Labor day, and consist of just two vignettes (except for the Temp-tations in the kitchen).

For fall, I just do fall. I don't have any Halloween (just don't like Halloween decor, never have), and it goes up after Labor Day and stays through Thanksgiving. 

I do Christmas decor, but more and more if it is becoming seasonal things. I have winter things as well, and the only reason they are 'winter' only is because I have Christmas out first. I could easily do away with all Christmas and just use the more seasonal greens, pine cones and winter type stuff, and may do that in future years. 

I don't do spring decor at all, don't like the pastels most comes in and again, I have one small box of Easter type things, that I put out for about a month before Easter. Much of it has become more rabbit based (not Easter Bunny based) and could stay up longer (and sometime does). Again it makes two or small vignettes and that is it.

Super Contributor

@traveler wrote:

I am seasonal, not Halloween, Christmas, Easter or other holidays. Let’s leave decor up for 3 months.

I do a combination. I anchor the decorations for the season and then add for the major holidays that fall within that season. For Fall, I decorate for the season, but I include Halloween and Thanksgiving when it's time. I do the same for Christmas since Winter is the season. In the Spring, I include Easter, and in the Summer, I celebrate with added Fourth of July. I love to change the looks in our home and by using the season and the holidays, I have "something fresh and different" to occupy the rooms and enjoy.

tea

Respected Contributor

@traveler  I decorate for Spring during most of the early part of the year. 

I love Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas decor and decorate with those themes during much of the latter part of the year.

I just love the holidays and both my husband and I are just like kids at Halloween. We go all out and have one of the most popular houses on the block. 

Decorating is such a passion with me. 

Honored Contributor

I don’t actually decorate anymore, just change my wreaths.  But they are seasonal rather than holiday, with the exception of Christmas. I change them on the first of the month that the season changes and leave them until the following season.  Christmas goes up after Thanksgiving is over, and when Christmas is over it gets changed to a snowman theme until March. Thats the extent of my “decorating” nowadays.🙂

Honored Contributor

In the fall it's pumpkins and mums on the porch. At Halloween I add a great folk art witch on my front door, and a couple of Jack o lanterns . At Christmas a live wreath, and candles in the window.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

Not as much as I used to that’s for sure. Christmas, Fall and spring. Gave and donated most of it. Fall is a favorite and of course Christmas. 

Honored Contributor

I do seasonal.

Trusted Contributor

I am a seasonal decorator, but only with fall.

I decorate for fall September - the end of November.

I then decorate for Christmas from the day after Thanksgiving through the last week in December.

I will leave up a few wintery things until March.  I add a few touches for Valentine's Day and Easter, but that's it.  Christmas and Fall get most of my attention.  The rest of the year, I let my house "breathe."  lol