Trusted Contributor

Re: Holiday decorating with bubble lights...

@Regal Bee
Oh Regal Bee that sounds so Christmasy! I would love to see it. If you do bring it down please share a picture with us bubble light lovers.
Also when are you going to let us see that new porch? It sounded so awesome in your post a few months back. Don’t mean to be nosy but your decor and your home is just so lovely. Very inspiring.

Esteemed Contributor

I LOVE these lights!!! 

Respected Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

@GSPgirl wrote:

We had them in  the 60’s and I loved sitting by the tree watching them bubble away.  They stopped making them, I think, because they got very hot.  I always thought they were made with oil in them. 

@GSPgirl  Believe it or not, they still make the bubble lights now  Smiley Happy

There are a lot of vintage bubbler light sets available on Ebay, but I wouldn't string those on the tree with old wiring even if new bubbler bulbs were replaced.

The general rule of thumb for old light sets that still work is to stop using it when you can bend the cord and the plastic coating cracks or has already started cracking. That is the time to toss them out and buy new to avoid a fire.

As for the new 'retro' bubbler sets, they look just like the old sets, which is great. Additionally I had seen some other versions that the bubbler lights have glitter in them.

There is a gif video at NoveltyLights dot com. Put in the search bar there: "Traditional Clear Bubble Light Set With Silver Glitter"

Thank you!  I saw them a couple of years ago.  I almost bought them in honor of my dad. 

Valued Contributor

I love bubble lights. They were my dads favorite. Icicle lights too! Such wonderful memories.

Honored Contributor

We bought a few sets of bubble lights a number of years ago. And forgot all about them. They are in the attic with the numerous boxes of decorations. I think the Christmas decorations take up about 1/4 of the attic. 

Definitely, have to dig them out this year.

Respected Contributor

@ladycos wrote:
@Regal Bee
Oh Regal Bee that sounds so Christmasy! I would love to see it. If you do bring it down please share a picture with us bubble light lovers.
Also when are you going to let us see that new porch? It sounded so awesome in your post a few months back. Don’t mean to be nosy but your decor and your home is just so lovely. Very inspiring.

@ladycos  You are so sweet. Thank you.

Our home is a mess from finishing renovations and bins of stuff getting ready for Christmas. I am having company almost the entire month of December so I am going all out. The new porch is one of the areas that will be decorated and I will take pictures when that is completed. 

Whew.....it is tiring but so much fun.  The bubble tree was almost forgotten until seeing this post. Hope my hubby knows where it is located in the attic. Yikes. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Susan Louise wrote:

@ladycos wrote:

@Susan Louise

They bring back wonderful childhood memories. I used to set and watch them for hours. Yes they did get hot back then. 

If I had a set now I would use them in some aspect,on garland or on the tree. You have me thinking about them now so I just might have to find some. 

@ladycos I'm seriously considering the bubbler light set I mentioned in my last post for our smaller tree. Other options I have been thinking about are those bubbler hurricane lamps from the 60's/70's...

vintage1.jpg

What makes these nice is that the bubbler bulbs are easily replaceable if they stop working. There are a few of these vintage hurricane lamps on Ebay I put on my 'watch' list...LOL

I've also seen some of these lamps with the flicker bulbs in them too, so it's good to know either type of lightbulb will fit into the light fixture if one wants to change the look  Smiley Happy

UPDATE:

i wound up buying 4 of these hurricane lanterns on Ebay and received them all today. I'm so glad I got them before sellers started raising their asking prices. The average price I paid for each on Ebay w/shipping was about $15. Back when they were originally sold between the late 60's-early 80's was about $7 ($6.97) by the tags that were still on the original boxes...LOL

Two I will use with flicker bulbs and the other two with the bubble lights.

Now, for those 'not in the know', the gold base is extremely lightweight plastic which holds the glass hurricane. This is not a high end quality piece of decor, more like dollar store decor...

However, unless one lifts it up nobody would know. I love the nostalgic look of it when they are all lit...really puts a smile on my face. Even DH is glad I got them! When room lights are low and the holiday lights are the focus, they are magical. I just wish I bought these yrs ago!

***NOTE: For anyone with pets or small children, this needs to be put someplace it won't get knocked over!